Should I Set Up a Separate Filing System for Big Files...

gtdnubcake

Registered
So I have a lot of big files in my reference folder (installation files, seminar tapes, music,...)
I'm currently putting these in my general filing system and syncing them with
dropbox between my two computers. This uses up a lot of resources which I don't like

Should I set up a separate filing system to store these file?
Anyone here having the same problem?

cfoley

Registered
I would consider the cost and benefits of syncing those large files. It wouldn't make sense for me but if you access them often from different locations it might be exactly what you need.

bcmyers2112

Registered
The whole point of having a simple A - Z general reference filing system is to make it easier to find everything. With physical files it sometimes makes sense to file particular documents in their own separate system if the type of document is highly specialized and the volume justifies it. DA uses contracts as an example of that in GTD.

I think this applies even more to things like .exe files which aren't documents that contain information you would be looking up. All they have in common with electronic documents is that they're in digital format. You wouldn't worry about organizing your screwdriver set in the same system you use to keep receipts, tax returns, etc. organized, and by the same token I think you can safely create a separate filing system for .exe, audio, video and other files if that makes the most sense to you.

I don't think there is one right answer, nor a wrong one.