Some Notes from Alan: My GTD Setup (A Three-Part Post)

Alan Nelson

Registered
Fellow Connectors,

Hi. Alan Nelson here. I had a lot of fun doing the Connect interview with David this month, and hope it was of some value to someone along the way. Listening to it, one of the things David and I didn't cover in as much depth as I would have liked was my GTD setup, so I thought I might provide an overview here.

Here goes ...

Calendar:

In a perfect world I'd probably go paper, but my assistant, Jennifer, manages my calendar and scheduling, and it's more important that we have a single source of truth. Our office runs Outlook, which she uses. On my Mac I'm able to run either Outlook (using Parallels' slick virtualization software) our Entourage. I use Entourage simply so I don't have to operate within Windows: It saves me steps clicking Windows pop-up bubbles and other minor Microsoft frustrations, and works just fine. My main calendar interface, though, is the calendar on my BlackBerry, which is what I am looking at most of the time. The key thing is that the Microsoft Exchange server is the single source of truth, with Entourage, BlackBerry, Outlook, and Jennifer all syncing to it.

Next Actions:

I keep them in paper form, behind a tab in my Levenger notebook labeled "GTD." I have a page for each of the following contexts:

• Personal Projects: Things with more than two steps in my personal life. Because of my travel schedule I'm only home about half the time in any given week, so it's especially important that I make progress on some home stuff while I'm there. Focus is key. As a result, I try to keep no more than three or five things on this list as it helps me focus on moving the ball forward and getting personal projects done. Everything else personal goes on ...
  • Someday / Maybe: Mostly personal projects, sitting here so I can focus on completing things as noted above. Also some long-term work items, and the dream items I'd like to accomplish one day. There are usually 30 or so things on this list.
  • CRA Projects: Professional things with more than two steps. These are active work projects, most of which have an individual project file, and there are usually 30-40 things on this list.
  • Leads & Opportunities: These are professional things with more than two steps but not client or firm work. They're just what they sound: leads and opportunities I'm pursuing. I like having them on their own list because it makes rundowns with teammates, of both projects and opportunities, more efficient. Usually 20-30 items.
  • @ Agendas: Topics to discuss with others next time we interact.
  • @ Calls: Phone calls. Lots of items and re-written often. A little hack here: When I've left a message for someone I put a mall dot next to the item and note the date of the message. The dot means "In Progress" for me.
  • @ Computer: Things I can only do on the computer but NOT online. I spend a lot of time on airplanes so I separate online and offline actions.
  • @ CRA: Things I can only do at the firm's office.
  • @ Errands: Just as it sounds.
  • @ Home: Just as it sounds.
  • @ Online: Things I can only do with an Internet connection.
  • @ Waiting For: Everything delegated and to whom. I also note the date of delegation, and often, the last time I touched base with the person if the item is still outstanding.
  • @ Other Tracking: This is really a checklist but I keep it in my Levenger so I can refer to it quickly. It's things I have on my radar but that aren't truly projects. Example, the orientation of a new employee not on my team. On occasion I want a reminder of that person so I can ask how they're doing.

Some Next Action nuts and bolt: First, I've felt much more focused since taking them to paper form. They're easier to look at and edit (I use a mechanical pencil to write them), and striking things out makes me feel great. I also rewrite each list when it gets too messy, and this is a wonderful opportunity to do a gut check about each item and whether it's hanging around that list too long (and it helps my memory as well).

Every once in a while I do something to back them up, either typing them up, entering them into Outlook, or just photocopying them. I'm leaning toward photocopying as it's the process with the least amount of drag. In terms of email, if an email comes in that I need to convert to a next action I simply write it on the appropriate list and then drag it into an "@Action" or "@Waiting For." I don't use "@Deferred" as I just copy and paste the text of an email into a calendar item if that's where that bit of stuff is going to reside. If I can't write the NA down right a way I will leave the email in my inbox until I can convert it, which typically lasts no more than a day or so. More on my use of Entourage follows below ...

Across all these contexts I typically run between 250 and 320 items. I've kept track of the total over time (in a note on my BlackBerry), and have noticed that the typical range is about 270. I've also noted that when I'm feeling overwhelmed it's almost always over 300, so I figure that's about my natural limit for managing "stuff." This has been a useful exercise--tracking the total number of Next Action / Project / Someday items--and I suggest it to others.

Checklists:

I keep my checklists as notes in Entourage / BlackBerry. Most of them are lists of things to recall at will, including:
- @ Books to read
- @ Movies to see or rent
- @ Wine to try
- @ Places to travel
- @ Restaurants to try
- @ Songs to download
- @ Things to do in other cities

I also keep a list of "People along the way." This is names of drivers, concierges, airline club hosts -- folks who I meet in travel that I want to remember by name at a later time. It's not spin -- I do sincerely want to recall their name -- and being able to get in a car in Dallas six months after your last visit and say "Hi, Tony" is personable and powerful, and helps you get through traffic on time.

Office:

I moved my primary office from work to home mid-last year, for three reasons. First, Kate and I were expecting our first child, and given my travel schedule I want to be home as much as I can. Second, we made a decision at the firm to move consultants into team rooms rather than offices or cubes, so I would have given my office up to an apprentice anyway. Third, I was strongly influenced by a Connect interview--and I can't recall with whom--where the interviewee said "I go to the office to be with people, not to work." I think that's spot on for us as a service business (a consulting firm)--we should gather to interact, and if we're not interacting, we should focus on being productive. Now, we have some folks with three kids at home, and they go to the office so they CAN be productive, and more power to them. But for me, I go to the office to do only what I can do there, and being with folks is one of those things.

At work I have:
  • Archived project and support files (incorporated into the firm's long-term files)
  • A spare power plug for my Mac
  • A series of team rooms and conference rooms where I can park. One of these is the unofficial team room for my team, and we often will work in their together when at the office. My two apprentices sit just outside this room, and I find proximity is essential to their learning as quickly as possible.
  • A label maker

The home office is now getting really dialed in. For several years the room has been an office but not an Office, and now it's an Office with a capital "O." The difference? I engaged in a natural planning process regarding the home office about a year ago, and that's been the difference. It's amazing how much clarity you can get just by defining purpose / principles / vision. As a result we now have a very nice space: Flat screen on the wall, some nice art, furniture we enjoy ... it's turned out very nicely, and not because we spent thousands on stuff (which we did not), but because it was well thought-out. So thanks, David, for that application of GTD.

At home we have:
  • Two horizontal file cabinets. One is work files (Kate's on top, mine on bottom). These are active projects and all support files I need on-hand; old stuff is archived at the firm. The other is home reference. Both are alphabetical.
  • Home Mac: A new iMac (we've used Macs at home for years now). It's for home browsing, home finance, and all media. Three external hard drives: one for media (photos, music, and video), one for video production (as it hammers hard drives), and a terabyte drive for backup of the Mac and other two. I have Entourage installed here as well, and it syncs with Exchange so I can use the desktop for calendar and email if I choose.
  • Label maker
  • Two inboxes, one for me and one for kate
  • Printer (Canon, does a great job with photos and basic work documents)
  • Scanner / copier
  • Heavy-duty Levenger punch.
  • Stapler, calculator, etc.
  • Paper shredder. Pay the money for a good one, it's worth it.

>> continued >>

Alan Nelson

Registered
Alan's Setup (Part 2 of 3)

Briefcase:

This is the critical space for me as I travel several days each week. I carry a nice Hulme briefcase, which the firm provided for folks a year or two ago. For years I carried the expected Tumi bag, which increased in size and weight over the years. Ultimately, I asked myself why I was carrying a 45-pound bag that wouldn't fit easily under an airplane seat, and I didn't have a rational reason in reply. So the Hulme briefcase is smaller, just as tough and professional, and I like it much more. In it I carry a small zipper pack of computer connecters and gear, including a USB cable that connects about anything I need to my computer but also charges my BlackBerry. I also carry a set of David Allen plastic folders. These are great. David was nice enough to give mine to me as a gift, but I'd buy them if he hadn't. I carry "Inbox" and "Action Support," and others labeled "To CRA," "Reading," and one with stationary I pick up in hotels and some stamps so I'm always ready to write a note along the way.

Computer:

I use an Apple MacBook Pro for work, and have been doing so for about two years now. We work in a Wintel environment at CRA, and I have no trouble using the Mac. Office for Mac integrates seamlessly with all Office for Windows files, and if there is something I must run in Windows, I can boot Windows XP using Parallels and, candidly, run it and any Windows software side-by-side with my Mac programs, simultaneously, and the Windows stuff runs faster than it did on the ThinkPads I used to use.

The MBP is a great machine, and I have it set with 2 gig ram. I also haven't minded it as a larger, heavier computer than the ThinkPad, because it's so easy to use, it's worth it (besides, it just forced me to economize what I take on the road, which isn't a bad thing in my view). That said, when the new MacBook Air has a hard drive that's 100 gig or larger, I'll probably make the jump. Software I rely on most often:

• MindManager: Mac version works great and does everything I need.
  • Apple's built in text editor. Fast, easy, and (like all Apple programs) even checks spelling as I go. I'm typing this on it now, as do I most blog posts. Why open Word when I can have TextEdit running in seconds?
  • Quicksilver: A free program that let's me hit a hot key, type in a few letters, and pull up and run nearly any file or program on the Mac. Very cool and reduces a lot of drag.
  • Scrivener: Writing program that I use to write long speeches; also using it to write a book (which is what it's for).
  • Yojimbo: A great reference / storage / journaling program. I use it to store research for work and the book. You can do just about anything with it; I use it to drag PDF files, journal articles, entire web pages into it as an archive. The search is instantaneous, so it's very easy to type "strategy" and have everything in its database with "strategy" in it pop into a list. Great little program, and again, very little drag.
  • Word and Excel
  • Keynote: I deliver speeches or presentations several times a month, and find Apple's Keynote software far superior to PowerPoint. I know a lot of people use PowerPoint to produce printed documents, and it's better for that kind of thing than Keynote. But for presenting ideas on screen, nothing beats Keynote's typography, graphic rendering, and design options. It's great.
  • Backup: Apple's backup software. Backs everything up to the terabyte drive each saturday for the home Mac. For the MacBook Pro we use Memeo Life Agent, which backs up all work files in real time to a central server at CRA.

PIM:

Entourage, the Outlook variant for Mac from Microsoft. I go back and forth with Entourage. I used it for a while, then went with Outlook (running on the Mac via Parallels, again with no loss of performance), and then went back to Entourage just because (as I noted above) Windows is so interruptive of my work flow. BUT, it doesn't sync tasks (which doesn't matter as I do that in paper anyway) or notes with Exchange Server, so I use my BlackBerry for note entry, or if it's a long note or a copy and paste job, I just to it via the web access for my Exchange data. Not a perfect solution, but manageable, and has the least drag for me overall. I also am trying to dramatically reduce my email traffic, and I find that using my BlackBerry for email reply help me manage my mail a bit better as I don't just assume everything requires a 10-minute email reply.

Notebook:

As noted above, for more than 10 years I've carried the same Levenger 8 1/2 x 11 leather notebook. I have the plastic divider tabs in it, with these sections:
  • "Agenda": My travel schedule for the week with all confirmation numbers, etc. Jennifer prints and punches this for me. If I have multi-day meeting agendas, I'll punch them and put them in there also (for management meetings I may be facilitating or attending, for example).
  • "GTD": My next actions as noted above, one page for each context. I also keep three pages with lists that I wrote on the last day of my sabbatical: "Start Doing," "Stop Doing," and "Keep Doing." These are reminders of changes I wanted to make to my life as a result of the sabbatical experience, and I review them from time to time as a reminder and gut check.
  • "This Week": Because I've been carrying a Levenger for so long all my notes for individual clients and projects are on Levenger paper. During me weekly review I pull the notes for the coming week's clients or activity and put them in this section, in alphabetical order separated by a few blank pages. At week's end, I remove them, put them back in their project files, and repeat for the coming week.
  • "Projects and Notes": Miscellaneous notes and notes for things that don't yet need full reference files, or where I want to keep the notes with me all the time. We're about to remodel our house, for example, and I have a set of notes about the project I want with me always, so they sit behind this tab.
  • "Paper": Extra Levenger paper.

Phone:

I use a BlackBerry Pearl, and really like it, especially it's small size. I don't miss the full keyboard, because I don't want to be sending a lot of email anyway. It also has a very nice speakerphone, good web browser, and a decent camera. Everything syncs to our Exchange server, which is the single source of truth. When and if there is an Exchange sync available for the iPhone, I'll probably switch so I can get to a single device for music, phone, and email. (I also love the aesthetic.)

A note about email here: I've had a rule for the past four months to respond to as many emails with phone calls as I can, even if I just leave a voicemail with the response. (My primary motivation was some research I came across that suggested that every email sent produces more than one email in response; I'm trying to find that citation.) What I've found is that my email traffic has dropped dramatically. Not only does it usually take less time to leave a VM than type a long email response, but if you get the person on the phone you not only resolve the issue with greater clarity and context, you typically hammer out three other issues at the same time (and do a better job of managing the relationship to boot). Try it. If your experience is like mine your email traffic will drop precipitously.

>> continued >>

Alan Nelson

Registered
Alan's Setup (Part 3 of 3)

Weekly Review:

I run one of some fashion every week, even if it's only 30 minutes of clearing out the bills and pulling this week's project notes. The full process looks like this:

• Gather all loose papers and toss them in the inbox
  • Process the inbox
  • Process my notes:
  • Levenger
  • List things as appropriate
  • File reference notes and materials as appropriate
  • Review past calendar dates in detail for remaining actions, etc.
  • Update client contacts and notes
  • Enter billable time as needed
  • Look at upcoming calendar and capture actions about arrangments, prep. Etc.
  • Review background and notes on the people I will see this week
  • Look for relationship events: Dinners, ball games, breakfast, coffee, etc.
  • Empty my head: put in writing any new projects, action items, etc. that I haven't captured yet
  • Review "Projects" list: Evaluate the status of projects, goals, outcomes one by one, ensuring I have at least one current kick-start action for each in my system
  • Review Next Actions lists: Mark off stuff that's complete; review for reminders of further action steps to capture
  • Review Waiting For list: Record appropriate actions and any needed follow-up; check off received items.
  • Is there anything else I haven't done that I need to do?
  • Review Someday/Maybe list and look for anything that may have become active and transfer it into Projects. Delete anything that's no longer of interest.
  • Reivew Notes: Ensure they're current and add items and next actions as needed.
  • Review "Pending" and Support Files: Browse through all work-in-progres support material for new actions, completions, and waiting-fors.
  • Be creative and courageous: Any new great ideas?

So that's the rundown of my system. I'm sure I forgot a few things, so if anybody has a question about something specific, please ask. Also, the system reflects my principles and metal models for GTD, which I'll summarize here:

Principles: As I practice my variant of GTD I have free reign do to anything I like so long as I ...
  • Have a backup for everything. Always presume the briefcase is going to be stolen.
  • Have a single source of truth, and have all nodes of data sync to that source of truth.
  • Do anything that can be done in two minutes or less right away.
  • Make time each week for some form of review.
  • Don't force non-email conversations into email.
  • Am willing to take projects and next actions off my list.

And my mental models for GTD:
  • Start with the natural planning model--purpose, principles, vision--when starting any project.
  • I'm a leader and a communicator. Interact via face and phone as much as possible.
  • Write no email less that takes more than five minutes to draft UNLESS it's a historical account or summary of facts.
  • Respond to as many emails with phone calls as possible.
  • Go to the office to be with people.
  • Keep the computer closed / off as much each day as possible.
  • Only attend meetings that can't happen without you.
  • Recognize that stuff and time expand to fill the space provided. Limit space and time to control stuff.
  • Don't fall into the trap of digital solutions (AKA "shackle the new media"). Use analog (paper) where it makes sense, and digital where it makes sense.
  • Pick technology and solutions that have the least amount of drag, or that make you feel the best, and ideally, both.

I hope this helps, and happy processing!

MiataPops

Registered
Alan,

I've probably listened to your "In Conversation" CD about ten times as I traveled to and from work. I got so much from you about "media richness" and "context". Your insights enabled me to make some significant changes in how I communicate to various people. I know this is the leanest medium I can use, but thanks for sharing how you have incorporated GTD into your life. And, thanks for sharing how we can direct and improve the communications we have in both business and "life".

Dave

torialouise

Registered
Great detail - really helpful

Alan

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post. It is rich in detail and provides a brilliant outline of your system which is so helpful. I am just reverting back to a paper system for NA lists having been fully electronic for the last couple of years. I find the paper system much more satisfying and it keeps me much more organised. I use a mac for my calendar, contacts and emails (i've just moved from entourage to ical to make syncing with the iphone a reality!).

Love the sound of the levenger stationary - that is my only downside for the paper based system - finding the perfect capture tool.

Once again, thanks for the detail. It's a post i'll keep referring too.

Toria

SalesDave

Registered
Almost had to sue you

I was listening to your conversation while using the treadmill and when used the phrase about "going to Wawa, tapping MAC & getting a shorti" to show the importance of context, I almost fell off laughing. Being from Philly I got the context.

One of the best things I get from you conversation was your comment that if it takes you longer than 3 minutes to compose an e-mail, it need to be a conversation.

Good luck with fatherhood. As a father of 2 girls, I share the joy you have found. @father will become one of your contexts.

Dave

GTDWorks

Registered
Alan:

Thanks so much for the excellent interview and for the detailed post here. I, listen to your Connect interview each and every time I'm in the car (which is alot) and am gleaning new insight each time I listen. One of the best so far!

I moved back to paper a few weeks ago and am much more at ease than when using digital alone.

Thanks again!

MiataPops

Registered
Tap MAC to get a shorty?

Alan or SalesDave,

Having traveled to Philly many times on business, I know what a "Wawa" is, but please enlighten me on "tap MAC to get a shorty".

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. This information will enable me to strike through a Someday/Maybe item.

SalesDave

Registered
TAP MAC means getting money from an ATM.
Get a shorti refers to a Wawa 6" hoagie vs the normal 12"

Glad I could help.

Dave

BrianK

Registered
Thank you!

Alan, I'd like to join others in thanking you for a great interview and for sharing this information with the group. Fantastic stuff!

MiataPops

Registered
Thanks, SalesDave

Thanks, Dave. I've done both of those things at a Wawa. Next time I am in Philly, I'll be able to impress my friends by speaking the lingo.

Alan Nelson

Registered
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I've enjoyed the Philly discussion as well. Know that you know that in proper context ...

"I'm going to Wawa to tap MAC and get a shortie"

... means ...

"I'm going to the convenience store to us the ATM and get a small submarine sandwich"

... you're ready for graduate level work: Kandy Kakes!

Best to all,

Alan

rdgeorge

Registered
Thanks, Alan, for the CD interview, and your detailed follow-ups. I am now using a hybrid system also. I recently moved from a Palm PDA to a Palm Treo 755p on Verizon Wireless (see separate post in the public Gear forum).

My questions for you are low-tech, and perhaps simplistic. Is your Levenger notebook a Circa notebook? If so, how large are the rings you are using? Do you ever have problems with the paper popping out of the rings when you fold the notebook back on itself?

I have numerous Circa notebooks, but for GTD I am trying to get by with the Jr. size, to save space and increase the chances that it will be with me when I need it. I have plastic tab dividers which I labeled with Brother labeler black on clear tape (cut to fit):

- Notes
- N.A.s (with separate pages by context)
- Transfers
- Projects
- Project Notes
- Lists / Agendas

At the back of the Jr. Circa notebook is a clear zipper pouch for business cards, 3 x 5 cards, etc.

The Treo 755p is used for Calendar, Contacts, Someday / Maybe, and lists. I may follow your lead and periodically input the NA's and Projects into the Treo for backup purposes.

At the begining of the Circo Jr. notebook, I have a "$25.00 reward if found" label that has my cell phone number shown. This actually works, and is useful for paper info that is not backed up anywhere. I might increase the reward amount.

Look forward to your answers for my low-tech questions.

Richard George

elbow

Registered
Meetings

Alan, just wanted to say thanks for a great interview and posts here, it's given me lots to think about.

One point you made that I was interested in was your rule never to attend a meeting unless it can't happen without you. I'm interested in how strict you are with that rule. I can think of several meetings I currently go to which could in theory go ahead without me but where either it's expected that I turn up or my absence would cause issues.

Examples would be a monthly update meeting for our head of department where myself and all other managers give an update on our key projects. Now that meeting could manage perfectly well without me but I think it would be frowned upon if I didn't go. Another example would be a meeting to discuss the test plan on a project I'm involved in. There are other people attending who can devise a perfectly good plan in my absence, but if I don't go along too, how do I ensure that my points get across in the way I want?

I'm also interested to know how you decline meeting requests where your attendance isn't compulsory without offending the meeting organiser!

Thanks again for a great interview

Nathan

adepijper

Registered
Phone vs. Email

Thanks Alan (and David of course...) for the wonderful interview,

I'm always impressed with the quality of the monthly GTD Connect Interviews, but yours has been the most inspiring one so far. Your comments on leadership and communication were very insightful and changed the way I interact with others.

I also want to thank you for your follow-up post. Your "principles" and "mental notes" are now part of my daily review of my affirmations!

I agree that it makes sense to respond with phone calls as much as possible, but how do you deal with the "drag" that is caused by the fact that it so difficult to get a hold of people? Leaving a message is an option, but requires me to put a note/reminder on my "Waiting For" list. A quick email helps time-shift the reply (I don't need an immediate answer in most cases anyhow) and doesn't require any additional work because it is easily flagged for follow-up in Outlook.

Looking forward to your wise words and input...

Thanks,

Ad

Alan Nelson

Registered
rdgeorge;56143 said:
Is your Levenger notebook a Circa notebook? If so, how large are the rings you are using? Do you ever have problems with the paper popping out of the rings when you fold the notebook back on itself?

- snip -

At the begining of the Circo Jr. notebook, I have a "$25.00 reward if found" label that has my cell phone number shown. This actually works, and is useful for paper info that is not backed up anywhere. I might increase the reward amount.

Hi Richard. First, thanks for the very nice things you said about my interview. It really was my pleasure.

Yes, I use a 8 1/2 by 11 inch Circa -- it's about 10 years old now, if not older, and it just keeps ticking no matter the licking it takes. I'm not sure about the size of the rings, but I believe they're one notch larger than the default it came with. I don't like them too large, based on my "stuff expands to fill the space provided" principle.

I do at times have problems with pages popping. If that starts to happen, it's a sign to me that I probably have some stuff in the notebook that is ready for filing. So into the inbox they go!

Alan Nelson

Registered
elbow;56166 said:
One point you made that I was interested in was your rule never to attend a meeting unless it can't happen without you. I'm interested in how strict you are with that rule. I can think of several meetings I currently go to which could in theory go ahead without me but where either it's expected that I turn up or my absence would cause issues.

- snip -

I'm also interested to know how you decline meeting requests where your attendance isn't compulsory without offending the meeting organiser!

Thanks for the compliment, Nathan. Regarding your question, I'm pretty strict. But understand that I define "can't happen without you" across three sets of goals:

1. Informational: Meetings where there's something I must hear or say
  2. Identity: Meetings where I must attend for a matter of personal reputation
  3. Relational: Meetings where I must attend in the interest of preserving or strengthening a relationship
Not for nothing, the communication research tells us that these three goals -- task, identity, and relational -- are influenced (intentionally or unintentionally) in every interaction we have ... every text, phone call, face to face ... anything.

So, there are lots of meetings where I think "I have to go to this," but it's for reasons of symbolism or relationships, not just participation.

In terms of how to decline, it gets back to those same three goals: I have to decline in a way that says "no" (the task), but that also preserves my identity (perhaps as polite) and that preserves the relationship (perhaps says I still care) -- but understand that those goals are relative to the context. There might be someone where I need to decline a meeting precisely because I want to distance myself in the relationship, perhaps conveying the subtext of "you've invited me to this because you think I'm a team member, but in fact I'm NOT a member of your team."

The essential thing -- and the thing that really good leaders do more often than not -- is to treat the message in which you decline strategically. To ask, "In this situation, how do I want to be seen and what do I want to say about the relationship" and decline accordingly ... and that will usually come down to how you say, not what.

One coaching point: The more unhappy the person is going to be the more you should convey your regrets in person. Example: There is a group that has asked me to speak at their annual leadership meeting. It happens on the First Friday of the month, a date reserved for all-firm meetings. I simply cannot accept their request (even with the nice fee it brings). So, through Jennifer, we first offered to speak on an alternate date, and when that would not work, let them know the context of why (which says I'm concerned -- identity -- and that I think they deserve the context -- relationship). Now I'll also call personally to express my regrets, which will reinforce the identity and relational messages.

So the next time you're saying "no" first ask how you want that person to think of your reputation, and what kind of relationship you want to reinforce, and then say "no" in a way consistent with both. In fact, ask those questions before you deliver any meaningful message -- that's strategic communication.

All that said, there are still plenty of meetings that when it gets right down to it, there is NOT a compelling task, identity, or relational reason to attend. Those you should skip (or send a delegate who would benefit from the experience).

Hope this helps ...