Starting Getting Things Done

furashgf

Registered
Assuming you've read through David's book, printed off the nifty workflow diagram, ate the sandwitch, saw the movie, etc. :? can the group recommend a good set of implementation steps? If I made a project for "Implement GTD Methodology," what would the organized project next actions look like? I think it would be something like:
- Setup Inbox system
- Setup project/folder system
- Schedule and plan weekly review
- etc.

mondo

Registered
Personally, I would setup the inbox system, then do a massive collect of all the loose stuff into the inbox, then start the workflow on every item

The filing system should evolve out of that.

Good luck

Des

S

Siva

Having bought the concepts and having decided to adopt them in real life (as against my intellectual evaluation of the process over the last 3-6 months) I am in the process of incorporating GTD principles. Here is what I am doing currently.

1. The first useful step is to clear the head (take a notepad, computer, pda whatever and write everything down). I used Bonsai outliner to divide areas of my life into Self, Family and Work and dumped everything there. Picked this up from a book called Lifebalance.
2. Create an inbox (paper, computer, pda etc.) wherein you can write everything as it occurs to you FROM HERE ON. I use a 3X8 legal pad for daily inbox - it forces me to clear the inbox in a timely manner and tear off the pages.
3. Create a paper storage system (if required) along the workflow mode (i.e. file holders or boxes labelled Reference, someday etc.).
4. Decide how you want to record your lists (successful outcomes/projects, next actions, and just information). Trust your system of inbox and lists, even if you suspect there might be something better out there. I used Bonsai (palm) and datebk5 (palm)
5. Decide on a date for the weekly review. Don't hesitate to start your implementation with a Weekly review - this one might take a week but worth doing.

Other suggestions:
6. Follow Jason Womack wonderful suggestion - Keep your collect and process activities separate.

Everything else depends on how you work through your day. My goal is not to think much about higher level objectives outside of the weekly review. I try to just focus on NOW and be engaged with some next action or other - achieve Relaxed Focus as against Panicked Defocus! Just remember that your goal is to work your way through everyday chaos. It is not getting everything done in an orderly fashion.

B

Bunabayashi

Re: Starting "Getting Things Done"

Here's what I did:

After creating my storage facilities (for the reference material)-- that means filing cabinets, set up the folders, label everything, set up my tickler file, I then COLLECTED from hither and yon all the crap I had accumulated and never processed. It's amazing the amount of STUFF you collect and never realize it until you start assembling it into a single pile (or piles, in my case). I then worked through my office and studio space in the 'zone method', essentially processing one area at a time and slowly reclaiming my space, my sanity, and my life. The whole process took about 3 days.

furashgf said:
Assuming you've read through David's book, printed off the nifty workflow diagram, ate the sandwitch, saw the movie, etc. :? can the group recommend a good set of implementation steps? If I made a project for "Implement GTD Methodology," what would the organized project next actions look like? I think it would be something like:
- Setup Inbox system
- Setup project/folder system
- Schedule and plan weekly review
- etc.

furashgf

Registered
The general thing I'm getting is to set aside significant time at first to activities like setup and weekly review. Thanks!

P

pkdolphin

Big Bang vs Methodical Ramp?

For the more experienced folks out there? Doesn't it seem like it might be a better suggestion to first trial the system and then go for the big bang? I am 2/3 of the way through the book and am still not exactly sure how tasks flow from Projects, to next actions to waiting for , etc.

I have downloaded the outlook add-in and am getting familiar with this tool as well. Since I live in Outlook, I am thinking that it would be best to maximize my integration with outlook to increase the probability of weaving this system into my workflow.

My game plan is to finish the book, possibly (buy/rent/library) the audio program, tinker with the Outlook add-in. If I get convinced that this system is worth the effort, I will start to ramp my adoption.

Any thoughts or guidance?

P.S. I am relatively well organized already and am looking at this system to increase my productivity and thus job security :)

A

Anonymous

pkdolphin,

I just thouht it was interesting that you have the book, and want to get the audio version next. I did the exact opposite. I bought the audio version, and it resonated so well with me, but was too difficult to grasp as an audio book -- so I bought the hard co[py, and felt it was much easie to grasp the concepts.

Thats just my lousy 2 cents.

P

pkdolphin

Book + Audio

The only reason I want to do both is so that I can launch a multi-pronged attack on my brain. If I can get the info in through my eyes and ears, I am hoping that I will climb the learning curve more quickly :)

I usually prefer the audio book first, but they didn't have this one in the library :-(

By going the audio route, I can get through more material in a shorter period of time because I use my driving time to listen to these tapes. It makes me feel productive :)

E

EnglishPeter

Hi
My interest in GtD is to apply it to my life as a whole. Im a single person. Everything that has to be done is done with my own hands. So at the end of the week can I review the weeks and say that everythings has benn done??
At the moment the reply would have to be NO.
My flat is my "In" box.
Cleared.... No But I will to work to get all the things out of my "In " box

Peter