Strategies for Dealing with Overwhelm

Fr Matthew

Registered
Thanks for posting. I'm actually in the midst of one of those weeks. These strategies are coming just in time!

Oogiem

Registered
My takeaway from that is the term ankle biters. I think I'll make a context of ankle biters for those times. Sounds like a great way to deal with the small but irritating actions that can drag down a whole system.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Outstanding, Kelly! I too am in the midst of feeling overwhelmed. I really do like the "ankle biters" designation. Hmmm....like Oogiem, I see a new context!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
So glad you all got value from the article!

What's interesting about one of those ankle biters is that I had added pressure to myself that someone I owed one of them to was really anxious for me to complete it, because she had so much energy and tension about it when she asked me to do it. I should have known better, because when I finished it and let her know, she had already moved on to the next brush fire in her system and was so nonchalant about me finishing it. So I can get even sharper about not taking on other people's urgencies, or at least check back with them if what they were all fired up about getting done is even still a priority for me to do.

arweekarn

GTD Connect
Seems there are quite a few of us here feeling overwhelmed.. me too! So thanks Kelly for this post. Two weeks ago I had similar conversation with one of GTD trainers about both of us being so overwhelmed and one thing we agreed was that we really need to guard our calendar in coming weeks. When it was crystal clear that I was way overcommitted, it wasn't difficult at all to say no :)