• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Successful Resolutions of Projects?

  • Thread starter Thread starter oaklandcubsfan
  • Start date Start date
O

oaklandcubsfan

Guest
Hey folks,

I'm using the Outlook Add-in for GTD, so I end up with a list of approximately 80 projects, some with subprojects and some without, all of which have a next action (or actions, if things can happen in parallel) and I'm wondering about a couple of things:

  • Where do you write down, if anywhere, what the successful resolution of a project is? As a note in the Project task as created in GTD? On paper somewhere?
  • Do you have a one-to-one correspondence between Projects in the GTD Add-In and paper folders for project support materials?

Thanks,
Michael
 
I do not use the Outlook Add-in, so I may not be the best to answer your questions, but since noone else has yet replied, here goes:

Regarding paper folders for project support: you probably do not need a paper folder for each of your projects, since some will have no support materials, or no materials in paper form. Just use them when necessary.

Regarding the outcome description: yes, I think a note attached to the task in Outlook is a good spot. I would be surprised if the Outlook Add-in didn't have a specific field for this. If you have a paper folder for a particular project, that may be the right place. It should be wherever you can easily find it when you need it (during review or project planning sessions).
 
I thought that the successful resolution was the project. In other words, the items on my Projects list are things like, "November Board Briefs published", "Upload a printable stamp design page to website", or "Case 05-136". The Next Actions are the steps that I need to take to accomplish those desired outcomes. So, in that case, the successful resolution is simply entered in the Subject field, no?
 
Top