synching scribble notes in a contact file to outlook (ipaq)

mike r

Registered
I have an hp ipaq 1910. I am out in the field most of the day visiting clients. After each visit I use the notes field of the contact file I have set up for that client. In the note field I insert a date stamp (pocketpc has this as a built in function) Then I handwrite the notes/pertinent points, etc. and save the file.

Conceptually, this algorithm is ideal and I keep adding to the notes field so I have my own continuous log of all visits made to that client in chronological order kept in the the ever lengnthening notes portion of the contact file.

Problem:
I then try to synch it up to outlook on the desktop. I'll sometimes get a synch error message It seems to have something to do with the combination of text (the date stamp) and handwritten notes portion of the contact file. I also find that in outlook 2003 it's much harder to read the handwritten notes in the contacts note file. (I tried to play around with the view function in outlook but it apparently doesn't let you zoom in to read the notes field of a contact file more closely. )

I called hp ipaq tech support and they said that they haven't encountered this issue before.

Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing or does anyone else have a system that they use to accomplish what I'm trying to do. without having to go home at night and re-enter the data by keyboard on my desktop?

Does anyone have a system for efficiently journaling a brief synopsis of client meetings while out in the field seeing clients all day? Writing the notes as text using the grafitti function seems to take a long time and can be cumbersome because it's easy to make errors and then you have to backspace and type it again and be sure not to tap the screen by accident, etc. Unfortunately, bringing a tablet pc or notebook pc in the field with me is not an option.

I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say.

Thanks.
Mike R.

ext555

Registered
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the notes portion of the ppc app Pocket Informant www.pocketinformant.com syncs to the notes section of outlook .

And I do know that all parts of the application are linkable --so a note could easily be linked to a contact record if that would help.

The developer of PI is one of the best and when I used a PPC I found his program to be 10x superior to the stock ms ppc apps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your response.

The question I have is whether the Pocket Informant notes section of a contact file can hold both text and handwriting scribble notes on the same note line or when text and handwritten scribbled words are very close together.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:57 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the notes portion of the ppc app Pocket Informant www.pocketinformant.com syncs to the notes section of outlook .

And I do know that all parts of the application are linkable --so a note could easily be linked to a contact record if that would help.

The developer of PI is one of the best and when I used a PPC I found his program to be 10x superior to the stock ms ppc apps.

Paul

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your response.

The question I have is whether the Pocket Informant notes section of a contact file can hold And Successfully Synch to Outlook both text and handwriting scribble notes on the same note line or when text and handwritten scribbled words are very close together.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:57 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

ext555

Registered
Don't know --but if you check the site -it would probably say .
They had a very active forum also.

Paul

webagogue

Registered
It isn`t a PI or WinCE thing.

Regardless of the sotware you use, typed and scribbled notes don`t always play nicely together. I`ve been a PPC nut for about four years (before they were called PPCs) and have not seen much consistency in layout.

I can almost guarantee you that the standard windows app for contact notes will work more consistently than PI. PI is great, but the focus is different.

mike r

Registered
thanks for your feedback. Bottom line I suppose is that I've found that you have to be very careful mixing handwriting scribble and text. This is unfortunate, for certain applications.