Tablet or Laptop

yoha

Registered
So I am wondering what is the best device to use the GTD methodology.
I would love to hear your thoughts.

ivanjay205

Registered
I think it is less about the device and more about the software or mechanism. For example, I use Nirvana on my laptop, iphone, and ipad. It syncs across everything

mcogilvie

Registered
If you can manage it, and are digitally inclined, it’s nice to have something with a keyboard for fast processing in your “headquarters” as well as something portable that’s compatible. I know people who haul their laptops everywhere, but I think it’s not a great capture tool.

However, hardware and software will constrain your ability to implement and customize GTD. I have looked at many, many productivity apps and been impressed with only a few of them. My advice here is to go cheap and go simple until you understand better what you want. Microsoft Todo and Apple Reminders are workable and free, for example. The GTD setup guides can be very useful. I learned a lot from the original Outlook guide, and I have never used Outlook.

Oogiem

Registered
So I am wondering what is the best device to use the GTD methodology.
I would love to hear your thoughts.
The one you love to use, enjoy working with, handles all the basics and will use every day multiple times a day without fail.

It can be a notebook, tablet, 3x5 cards, post it notes, laptop, phone or many other things but the key is the methods not the tools. Pick tools you like and spend your effort learning the methodology.

TesTeq

Registered
The one you love to use, enjoy working with, handles all the basics and will use every day multiple times a day without fail.

It can be a notebook, tablet, 3x5 cards, post it notes, laptop, phone or many other things but the key is the methods not the tools. Pick tools you like and spend your effort learning the methodology.
Yes, @yoha, I agree with @Oogiem ! Implement GTD using the hardware that you have and like. Don't treat GTD as a reason to buy a new shiny gadget.

John Ismyname

Registered
My GTD platform is Outlook on a laptop. I bought a Surface2 Tablet when they came out as it was able to run Outlook effetcively. Much more expensive than laptops but I the portability would be better. I really missed a keyboard. I did buy a keyboard case thinking I can use the tablet pen and the keyboard. I came to the conclusion that pen-and-paper worked better for me than the tablet simulation of it. When it was time to replace it, the Surface 3s were much more espensive so I went back to a laptop.