Tablet PC: wow is an understatement.

J

jrj102

I recently purchased a Tablet PC. (http://www.tabletpc.com) I figured it would make it easier to use Outlook on the road. (I type really fast, but could never get used to the input on a Palm or Pocket PC.)

Wow.this device is truly amazing. You really need to try one. The handwriting input is great. And the Franklin Covey Tablet planner application is a fantastic demonstration of what is possible on the platform.

Has anyone else looked into tablets? The ability to merge the benefits of paper-based GTD lists with the advantages of Computerized lists (searchable, copy/paste, etc.) is really very exciting,

Sflwrgirl

Registered
This message is being composed on one now. (I have the Acer.) Admittedly, I haven't used it so much for GTD; I still really rely on my palm. I also haven't tried TabletPlanner; I'm waiting for the upgrade (supposedly late this quarter) to try it. But you are right -- the possiblities are out there!

--Sara

J

jrj102

Sflwrgirl said:
I also haven't tried TabletPlanner; I'm waiting for the upgrade (supposedly late this quarter) to try it.

I certainly understand waiting for the next version of TabletPlanner... although it is a really impressive piece of software, they definitely pushed it out the door before it was done.

I consider TabletPlanner to be the most frustrating piece of software I have ever seen... not because it is bad, but because it is such a fantastic idea, with such an elegant implementation... but so clearly not done. I mean... Come on - no outlook integration? No recurring or multi-day appointments? It is intuitive, easy to use, and, frankly, quite beautiful, However, it shouldn't have been shipped, They should have finished it first

A

Anonymous

Tablet PC- I'm skeptical

I'm happy that people are finding their tablet PC's useful. I looked at the Acer model at the Franklin Covey Store and was underwhelmed. The font size and luminosity of the screen made it marginal for my middle-aged eyes. And then there is battery life, ease of communication and backup, and weight. Of course, paying ~ $2K for an electronic version of something that never really worked for me as paper (the Franklin planner) would not be a good choice for me. But I would like to hear more from people using tablets.

Best,
Mike Ogilvie

K

Kudzu2u

Well, you may be right about the Tablet Planner, but I found the same issues with FC's Palm Software. Such an excellent concept, and in the beginning, so useful. But then as time wore one, so obviously unfinished. GTD came along at just the right time for me.

Gordon

tfadams

Registered
I have the Compaq TC1000, and its been very useful. Since it's running a version of Windows XP, all my apps work. I have also saved quite a bit of time entering notes and scheduling appointments once, rather than writing info on a paper notepad and having to type it in later.

I have used a Pocket PC for some of the same tasks, but with the Tablet, I am carrying around *every* file and application that I use for either business or personal tasks and that wasn't always the case with the Pocket PC. Also, it's much easier to write on the 10.4" screen of the Tablet PC.

The reason I got the TC1000 was because I can detach the keyboard when going to and from meetings and just need to take a few notes or only access files. When back at my desk or when I need to write longer documents, I re-attach the keyboard.

One minor downside for me has been the interruptions while walking down a hallway and writing directly on the screen of the Tablet... most people don't seem to be able to resist stopping me to ask what I am doing :)

tfadams

Registered
Tablet Planner...

With regards to the Tablet Planner, I am also waiting until version 2.0 to really try it out. Right now, it doesn't sync with Outlook or handle recurring appointments.

I use Ecco instead, and since it allows me to implement the GTD methodology so well, I will probalbly never use Tablet Planner extensively(I never liked the FC approach of priorities over context).

A

Anonymous

Re: Tablet Planner...

tfadams said:
With regards to the Tablet Planner, I am also waiting until version 2.0 to really try it out. Right now, it doesn't sync with Outlook or handle recurring appointments.

I use Ecco instead, and since it allows me to implement the GTD methodology so well, I will probalbly never use Tablet Planner extensively(I never liked the FC approach of priorities over context).

Agreed I dont know why people are surprised FC software is never complete.
FC lives up to its philosphy.
"They always put first things first" with great worthwile software ideas.
They just never end up "getting things done" when it comes to their software.

You guys waiting for version 2, check what FC users have been whining about for years about every piece of software they have ever created. None of it is "DONE," despite having been out for 3 years or more.
Yet they are the "FIRST" with a really cool yet frustating Tablet PC app.

Par for the course. Just wait for a REAL software developer to design a complete tablet planner solution.

A

Anonymous

tried franklin tablet planner software again

Well, I had a chance to play with the software fairly extensively.
I am quite familiar with the FC methodology (and I know now why
it didn't work for me), and the screens are faithful reproductions
of the paper, only much harder to read. Speaking as a tactful,
thoughful person, I would say that the technology has promise.
Speaking among friends, I would say that the software is really a
dog.

Mike Ogilvie

R

Richard Lyon

I don't trust FranklinCovey

I bought their PlanPlus product. I bought it from their European outlet (I work in the UK).

It transpired that I had to reset my computer's time/date format so that all of my software displayed the date "wrongly" (sorry, US cousins) in order to get their software to work.

You would imagine that to be a material fact that would be as well to disclose at the point of sale to the European customers they *know* will be buying the product.

But no. So I returned it. And won't touch their products again. They appear to be roughly contructed.

(NetCentric's Outlook add-on is also a bit roughly constructed at the moment, but they listen to their customers. That makes all the difference).

---------
Richard