The All Day Weekly Review

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I thought you'd all get a chuckle out of this--if it doesn't send you running to the hills in fear about what this might mean! David Allen just sent me an email saying:

Another podcast idea: Last week I did an almost-all-day weekly review. Interesting to really scrub my system at another level.

So stay tuned for a podcast on what might be the Weekly Review on steroids...

Barb

Registered
Hey, I'm game!

kelstarrising;68992 said:
I thought you'd all get a chuckle out of this--if it doesn't send you running to the hills in fear about what this might mean! David Allen just sent me an email saying:

So stay tuned for a podcast on what might be the Weekly Review on steroids...

Well, if nothing else it should be an interesting podcast. I've spent all day doing a weekly review before, but that's because I kept doing other things and would come back to the WR a piece at a time.

GTDWorks

Registered
It took me awhile to learn that a WR was not the time to catch up on all the work I hadn't gotten done since my last review. Unless things have been especially crazy in my world, most reviews now last about 2 hours.

Barb

Registered
Your desk

GTDWorks;68995 said:
It took me awhile to learn that a WR was not the time to catch up on all the work I hadn't gotten done since my last review. Unless things have been especially crazy in my world, most reviews now last about 2 hours.

I think I saw a picture of your desk somewhere in the Forum. Very nice! I love a clean desk!

GTDWorks

Registered
Thanks, Barb. Because of the nature of my work, I have people dropping in unexpectedly and I have to be ready to switch gears rather quickly. I make great use of my desk file holders (not seen in the picture). Do you have a picture of your desk?

Barb

Registered
naw

GTDWorks;68999 said:
Thanks, Barb. Because of the nature of my work, I have people dropping in unexpectedly and I have to be ready to switch gears rather quickly. I make great use of my desk file holders (not seen in the picture). Do you have a picture of your desk?

No, I don't have a pic. I office out of the house. My office is bigger than most and set up with everything one could ever need. I just about live in this room, including if I want to watch tv. My husband flips channels (drives me crazy) so I built my own space.

GTDWorks

Registered
Yes, that channel flipping is an illness most of us men are deeply afflicted with. Maybe I need to create a Project to deal with it...nah. I love flipping!!

Barb

Registered
and Pens

GTDWorks;69003 said:
Yes, that channel flipping is an illness most of us men are deeply afflicted with. Maybe I need to create a Project to deal with it...nah. I love flipping!!

Channel flipping and buying fancy PENS. How many pairs of SHOES could I buy for the price of one Waterman? (wink)

enyonam

Registered
Oh fun!

I'm really looking forward to this! I just did an all-day Saturday weekly review and thought I was as usual taking things way to far. :) I'd love to hear what David did for the 8 hours and what lessons he has.

I must say, that I spent a lot of the time linking my horizons of focus in a mindmap and reviewing every single node to make sure I had active or someday/maybe projects which would mean I'm progressing all the areas of my life. Not sure if that's really fodder for the weekly review but I certainly feel more on the right track.

Enyo

sdann

Registered
enyonam;69008 said:
I'm really looking forward to this! I just did an all-day Saturday weekly review and thought I was as usual taking things way to far. :) I'd love to hear what David did for the 8 hours and what lessons he has.

I must say, that I spent a lot of the time linking my horizons of focus in a mindmap and reviewing every single node to make sure I had active or someday/maybe projects which would mean I'm progressing all the areas of my life. Not sure if that's really fodder for the weekly review but I certainly feel more on the right track.

Enyo

Yes, I was going to ask about the horizons of focus. I can see that being part of an all-day weekly review. If not, then what... I'd love to hear too what was part of David's all-day journey.

12hourhalfday

Registered
After hearing the podcast about hw he was real behind on a REAL weekly review and had been doing lot's of emergency reviews. I just finished a long weekly review myself and I have to say these are amazingly useful but doing and all day review isn't something I can do on a schedule; I have to plan it as needed. I almost should have an @whenIhavetheweekendtomyself context. haha.
It barely ever happens but when it does it sure is nice to be able to to crank widgets, do a weekly review, scrub my system, or work on high focus projects.