The FAST CDs

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
I did a search on this but couldn't find specifically what I was looking for.

If you have read both GTD and Ready for Anything - what specifically on the FAST CDs will you learn in addition to the books? I am sure I will get a positive response, but I am trying to decide what I will get in terms of the investment in addition to the great value that I have already got from the books.

Thanks

Paul

BrianK

Registered
Paul,

This thread discusses them briefly: http://www.davidco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245

For me, the Fast Cds reinforced and clarified what I'd already read in GTD and Ready for Anything. I can't tell you how many "Aha!" moments I had while listening to them. For some reason, they really tied a lot of things together for me. For example, I think I finally understood the importance of my project list and the weekly review in a way that I just didn't get from the book.

As a bonus, David is truly an interesting, dynamic, entertaining speaker. The Cds are a compilation recording of the 2-day GTD seminar, condensed into what I think amounts to about 8 hours. I said it before, and I'll say it again: well worth it.

M

mochant

BrianK said:
Paul,

This thread discusses them briefly: http://www.davidco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245

For me, the Fast Cds reinforced and clarified what I'd already read in GTD and Ready for Anything. I can't tell you how many "Aha!" moments I had while listening to them. For some reason, they really tied a lot of things together for me. For example, I think I finally understood the importance of my project list and the weekly review in a way that I just didn't get from the book.

As a bonus, David is truly an interesting, dynamic, entertaining speaker. The Cds are a compilation recording of the 2-day GTD seminar, condensed into what I think amounts to about 8 hours. I said it before, and I'll say it again: well worth it.
Brian is right and, as I've stated in other posts, the GTD Fast CDs are much more dynamic and high energy than the narrated book. You reallt get a flavor for what the seminar experience is like when you listen to the GTD Fast set.

moises

Registered
GTD Fast

I first heard about GTD from the mercola.com website. The initial recommendation on that site told me to save my $ and buy the book only, not the audio tracks, since the same info was in the book.

If you are truly hard up for $, I would buy the GTD book only. It is less expensive and it will be much easier to implement the system using the book.

If you've read and implemented the book and you, like me, think GTD is the greatest thing since the invention of Arabic numerals, then you might want to deepen your understanding of the system.

I bought the audio tracks with some trepidation. I figured the book probably told me everything I need to know. It does. But it was enlightening to me to get the same information presented in a different way.

Reading the book, I felt as if I were some super high-pressured bigwig who works 75 hours a week and David was spending the weekend with me showing me how to implement the system. I suppose that's how David made the bulk of his $ before the book was published (just a guess).

In the book David basically takes you through an implementation where you set everything up at once. You're doing this because you just paid $10,000 ( :lol: another wild guess) for two days with DA and you want to learn everything you possibly can.

In my real world I implemented slowly over days, weeks, months (?).

The book is about DA sitting down with you one-on-one. The audio tracks are DA lecturing to what seems to be a rather large audience. It is a two-day workshop. There are lots of exercises, which are basically practice sessions, to get you to start thinking GTD-like, so that when you get back to the office you can begin your implementation.

Since I am obsessed (kudos to CosmoGTD for allowing me this bit of self-insight :wink: ) with GTD because I believe it is of extraordinary value, I find it useful to hear the same information presented differently.

As others mentioned, David adds more humor to the audio presentation than he has in the text. That's nice but not sufficient to make it worthwhile.

What I have found is that hearing the same info in a different presentation allows me to attend better to particular aspects of the system that I did give sufficient attention to in the text format. For example, I know that it is in my interest to structure my NAs in the form of the next physical action I will take. But I have not been as rigorous as I could be in following this precept.

Now that I have listened to the audio version, and have heard the same info but with different emphases, I have a better understanding of the motivation behind this recommendation. DA says (obviously with exaggeration) that he only thinks once a week. He means that he only thinks during his weekly review. But, I interpret this to mean that we only think during processing. Processing is when we decide what the next action is. This is the heavy thinking. The heavy lifting (i.e., execution), as DA explains it, will be physically taxing perhaps, but not intellectually taxing because the intellectual work is done during the processing stage.

So, this whole distinction between intellectual or knowledge worker on the one hand and physical or material worker on the other fits right in with the next action concept. Doing the action will be analogous to stamping out widgets. I will essentially be an unpressured drone because the thinking "I" set the work plan for the doing "I" back in the Processing stage.

Just as the modern workplace separates mental from manual work so I, as a mental worker, must make the separation in my daily existence, to keep myself "stress-free". I do this by making my "doing" as akin to manual work as it can be by ridding it as much as possible from stressful decision making.

So not only does GTD encourage us to become more obsessive-compulsive, it encourages us to adopt schizophrenic tendencies. We will divide what seems to be our unitary self into two separate and distinct selves. The thinking "I" processes daily and reviews weekly. The thinking "I" does hard work but is active for only a short proportion of the day. The doing "I" is active most of the time but it is not making decisions--merely carrying them out--therefore it experiences little stress.

So, now you don't need to buy the audio tracks because I've told you everything in them that's important and not in the book. :D

thornrise

Registered
Learning styles

For me whether you buy the books or tapes has less to do with cost and more to do with learning styles (and possibly location).

I estimate to read and take notes from one book each week. I find this to be a 'hard' - and time consuming - process if I am going to recall and implement what I have read.

I also listen to tapes / CDs in my car whenever I am driving. I find this to be easy - effortless - and . What I find is that because my learning style is predominantly auditory my recall and engagement with things of listen to is much higher than my reading - ie I implement more of the ideas.

Caveat: this is only true if the reader / presenter is truely engaging - like DA.

So, my apprach to GTD was that I first read the book. Didn't implement. then I listened to the CDs - started to implement and used the book as a reference guide). Finally, I boost my resolve to keep using the system by listening to a CD occasionally.

For me spending 7 x the cost of GTD for the CDs was a very good investment because it has lead to me implementing the system. ie successful outcome.

Hope this helps. Oh and BTW I found the workbook that comes with the CDs is very useful - no waffle, simple straightforward KISS stuff.

Cheers.

J

JWE

Fast Cds

I bought the Ready for Anything Cds after I read the book. I use these as a reinforcing reference while I drive or wait in airports. Is there a fast cd for this book as I bought the 3cd package for Ready for Anything. If so would anyone know the differences between the two.
Thanks for input.
PS trying to find the right punctuations on a borrowed French version windows keyboard is a nightmare
^àèùÉ
See what I mean
Jeff

A

Anonymous

fast CDs versus audio book

The Fast CDs are audio of the seminar. The other Cds are audio books arn't they?

J

Jason Womack

"GTD Fast" CDs versus audio book "Getting Thi

The Fast CDs are audio of the seminar. The other Cds are audio books arn't they?

Accurate.

The "GTD Fast" is an 8-hour "abridged/edited" version of David Allen delivering the seminar.

The GTD Audio Book is a 3+ hour "abridged/edited" version of David Allen reading the GTD Book

The Ready for Anything Audio Book is a 2+ hour "abridged/edited" version of David Allen reading the RFA book.