The freedom to make a mess

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
David Allen recently had this to say about chaos and the freedom to make a mess.

Comment from GTD enthusiast: In the perspective and control quadrants, I think an occasional visit to chaos is healthy to see what's being avoided by hanging out in master and commander.

David's reply: Couldn't agree more about jumping into chaos. As you know, my experience is that having freedom to make a mess is your most productive state. So, a true GTD practitioner is clean and clear enough to give themselves permission to get really dirty and chaotic and experience potential gold to be mined there. You always know you can return to peace and sanity. But, if you live in dirt and chaos, you don't have the freedom to enjoy it.

TesTeq

Registered
John Forrister said:
So, a true GTD practitioner is clean and clear enough to give themselves permission to get really dirty and chaotic and experience potential gold to be mined there. You always know you can return to peace and sanity. But, if you live in dirt and chaos, you don't have the freedom to enjoy it.

Great insight! The main problem is with "a true GTD practitioner". You cannot "practice" chaos when your inventory of Projects and actions is incomplete.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
TesTeq said:
Great insight! The main problem is with "a true GTD practitioner". You cannot "practice" chaos when your inventory of Projects and actions is incomplete.

Yes. I figure a "GTD practitioner is clean and clear enough" means that there is a complete inventory. Perhaps hesitation to get into a mess is an indicator that the inventory is not yet complete?