The GTD bike commuter?

mmurray

Registered
TesTeq;48876 said:
So you had a problem - not he. He was enjoying the music and suddenly you started to scream at him! :)

Why do you think I had a problem? He was the one who had dropped stuff out of his wallet after opening the door of the bike shed with his swipe card. No problem for me I was just being helpful :)

Wearing my iPod in the supermarket I find I am more likely to get someone crash a trolley into me. Supermarket trolleys I can live with --- cars and trucks I would rather avoid. I can't imagine cycling without my hearing being fully functional.

Michael

W

webhak

I agree on not wearing an iPod. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me when trying to stay alive in traffic. There are too many cyclists hit by cars out here in Vegas for me to consider it...no matter how light the traffic conditions are. I often rely on my ears to tell me when cars are coming up behind me.

hak / john

alsa

Registered
I commute to work on a bike every so often. Here are some of the facts regarding my commute:

It takes me about 12-15 min. to get to work going at a leisurely pace.

I leave very early and try to get there 10 min. before I actually have to be at work.

I try and stay on pedestrian sidewalks and only cross major roads about twice.

I almost never wear a helmet because I go at a fairly slow pace and don't race, but I should wear one (which I wil start doing, however I am yet to fall off a bike *knock on wood*).

I do wear an iPod but try to keep the volume just high enough to hear the podcasts (I listen only to spoken word podcasts -- no music whatsoever).

I don't wear the sound-isolating earphones on the road -- just the standard Apple 2nd generation earphones -- you can still hear what's going on in the street.

Luckily I don't have to bring much with me to work so most of the time I don't have any kind of a bag with me. In case I do have a flat tire -- I still have enough time to walk to work (I allow for that when planning when I leave).

TesTeq

Registered
Why do you prefer to ride a bicycle instead of fast walk?

alsa;49059 said:
It takes me about 12-15 min. to get to work going at a leisurely pace.
(...)
In case I do have a flat tire -- I still have enough time to walk to work (I allow for that when planning when I leave).

Why do you prefer to ride a bicycle instead of fast walk? It would take no more than 25 minutes and you would not have to worry about your bicycle.