The iPhone: Usability for GTD / Switching from the Treo

kewms

Registered
emhpasador;50043 said:
I hope I am not stepping over the line, but just wanted to say that I understand what Katherine means. I don't think she is superstitious about technology at all. She is saying that she is fine with her technology being efficient and cheaper and not necessarily the source of style and beauty in her life. She wants her technology to get the job done, so that she can enjoy the other things.

Yes, exactly.

Now, I'm writing this on an iMac, so I wouldn't say I object to stylish technology. I just don't spend enough time with any portable device to value what the iPhone brings to the table.

Katherine

mmurray

Registered
There is some discussion on the Apple boards about this and the general consensus seems to be that To-Do's are built into Leapord (the next OS due for
release later in the year) in some more intrinsic way and that the implementation on the iPhone awaits this.

If you want to see this go to www.apple.com, select Support, find the link to Discussions and look at iPhone > Integrating into your digital life (or something like that)

Michael

TesTeq

Registered
I would prefer my windsurfing board.

CSGiles;50029 said:
This new machine is stunningly beautiful, fast and elegant. The user experience is amazing. For now and for me, I'm willing to work around the limitations until the software catches up.

My windsurfing board is also "stunningly beautiful, fast and elegant. The user experience is amazing." But I am not going to use it for GTD. I do prefer simplicity so I do not want to to work around the limitations of any device.

E

emhpasador

GPS + lists = brilliant!

BTW, Darla, the idea of how the GPS would fit into GTD is brilliant!!!! I'm going to want one of those!!

L

LJM

My reaction to new things like the iPhone, including the iPhone is "Hey! Cool! Shiny! I want one! ...but I think I'll wait a year until theres a better version for half the price".

But my hat is off to those of you who do rush out to buy the cool-new first-generation technology as soon as it comes out: since your purchases provide the majority of funding for R&D and you yourselves provide the majority of the beta-testing, we wouldn't have so much cool, new technology and cool, new gadgets without the rush-to-be-first-in-line crowd :) .

(I finally got an iPod last year. I love it! And I love it a lot more than I would have loved the first generation ones, which did cost about double. And I'm not going to be tempted to "trade up" as quickly as if I had bought the first generation, since improvements tend to become more incremental with each release of a gadget.)

Edited to add: Also, as much as I love shiny new gadgets, I've discovered that for GTD, I do best with a case of index cards-- go figure. Simplicity is best, I suppose.

Trish

Registered
Katherine...

...how's your paper system working? We haven't had an update in a while. Still using the Levenger system? Do you lug it around? What about travel? Write me a couple of paragraphs if you find a minute:rolleyes: about what you are using now? Change? No Change?
Thanks, Trish

kewms

Registered
Trish;50197 said:
...how's your paper system working? We haven't had an update in a while. Still using the Levenger system? Do you lug it around? What about travel? Write me a couple of paragraphs if you find a minute:rolleyes: about what you are using now? Change? No Change?
Thanks, Trish

Too busy to change: I moved 3000 miles this spring. That confirmed the wisdom of a paper system for me. My main paper notebook is smaller than my laptop, and doesn't need electricity or connectivity to be useful. I couldn't always *do* the things on my lists, but I was able to at least maintain the lists consistently from start to finish.

Katherine