The order of Horizons of Focus

nick_ross

Registered
Have been mulling over the Horizons of Focus following this evening's Webinar (thanks Kelly and Meg).

Apologies if this seems a little rambling, but please stay with me...

50,000ft - Life Purpose - you can't really tick it off
40,000ft - Vision & Ideal Scenario - You could tick this one off as 'done'
30,000ft - 1-2yr goals and objectives - You should really tick this one off (after a couple of years)
20,000ft - Area of Focus - you can't tick this off - just keeps going
10,000ft - Projects - definitely tick off as 'done'
Runway - Actions - definitely tick off as 'done'

My question - given that the 50,000ft and 20,000ft don't get ticked off - shouldn't they be top of the tree? Obviously 50,000 is already there, but would it make sense to move 20,000ft to 45,000ft ?

This would mean everything from 30k downwards can be completed, and everything above it are more responsibility and vision.

Or have I missed something (he says, slightly nervous that he has)?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

mcogilvie

Registered
nick_ross;71233 said:
Have been mulling over the Horizons of Focus following this evening's Webinar (thanks Kelly and Meg).

Apologies if this seems a little rambling, but please stay with me...

30,000ft - 1-2yr goals and objectives - You should really tick this one off (after a couple of years)

My question - given that the 50,000ft and 20,000ft don't get ticked off - shouldn't they be top of the tree? Obviously 50,000 is already there, but would it make sense to move 20,000ft to 45,000ft ?

This would mean everything from 30k downwards can be completed, and everything above it are more responsibility and vision.

Or have I missed something (he says, slightly nervous that he has)?

They are roughly in order of how often you need to think about them. If you were only thinking about goals, you wouldn't have 20K at all. There are lots of things at 20K, though, and they typically need to be reviewed more often than a 1-2 year goal. And they can change rapidly, e.g., when your job changes.

TesTeq

Registered
Different angles.

I see Horizon of Focus as different high level views of my life. They are connected but they are not a hierarchical structure. I am looking at different angles and connect the dots to form logical patterns.

Oogiem

Registered
nick_ross;71233 said:

Actually for the way I work I can tick off as done actions. Projects often happen again, IOW I can tick off a project but it will need to be done again in another year. Area of focus never goes away, 1-2 year goals/objectives are bundled into projects because I have projects that take years to complete, I even have actions that take years to complete. Vision is never done, it just keeps getting updates same as life purpose.

D

dannybader

do - complete - maintan - achieve - create - fullfill

I recall David discussing the Horizons of Focus at one of our staff meetings and it "rang my bell." What I took away for myself was this....

(runway) I DO actions -
(10k ft.) so I may COMPLETE projects -
(20 k ft.) to MAINTAIN the roles I have in life -
(30k ft.) and ACHIEVE the relative goals -
(40k ft.) so I may create the life I vision for me and my family -
(50k ft.) to FULFILL my purpose for living

This way of stating the Horizons of Focus has helped me immensely in "knowing" what horizon has my attention.

Be well.
Danny

12hourhalfday

Registered
mcogilvie;71235 said:
They are roughly in order of how often you need to think about them. If you were only thinking about goals, you wouldn't have 20K at all. There are lots of things at 20K, though, and they typically need to be reviewed more often than a 1-2 year goal. And they can change rapidly, e.g., when your job changes.

Thank you sooooooooooo much! This answers questions about the Horizon's of focus that I have had for a long time. This will cut so much resistance off my review!

nick_ross

Registered
Thank you for all your thoughts

I've always seen the Horizons as a bit of a hierachy - and that caused some brain strain as, for example, I would see "Be a key part of my Hockey Team every year" as 40,000ft - but that (to me) would sit under Hobbies and/or Fitness (20,000ft).

I like Danny's explanation though - think I may be printing that out and sticking it on my monitor....