Three Stages to Integrating GTD - where are you?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Where do you fit in to the three stages of integrating GTD?

Three Stages to Integrating GTD

1. Understanding – You understand the distinct differences in the five phases of mastering workflow. You understand a project versus a next action. You know how to transform what you’ve collected by asking the key processing questions, clarifying what something is, and what you want to do about it.

2. Implementation – You have installed at least the basic gear to support a GTD system, including ubiquitous collection tools, functioning reference systems for your non-actionable information, and seamless buckets with “clean edges” for tracking your projects and next actions.

3. Behavior Change – The five phases of mastering workflow are second nature to you. You have changed the way you think and work and are achieving stress-free productivity on a regular basis. When you “fall off” you know what to do to get “back on.”

jon

Registered
Ever heard the story about the caged animal? It had been in it's cage so long that once it was set free it didn't know what to do with it's freedom and ran back to the "security" of the cage. Well, I'm out of the cage, but have one hand on it. :)

Of course the short answer would be I'm in stage 1 - and still working on understanding.

GrantH

Registered
That answer to the question is in a constant flux.

Great question and description Kelly!

As with the GTD-Q, at times I feel I could answer 1, 2, or 3 and I'd be correct each time. When I am in the GTD forums, rereading David Allen's previous publications, courses, or listening to the audiobooks I feel I am back to "square one," almost an iterative process.

My understanding increases. It does not remain at one level. It is always full but my capacity enlarges. When that occurs I can implement new and different ideas more readily with less resistance.

After doing GTD for 10+ years now the greatest behavioral change is simply I am not as "hard" and critical of myself for not doing every aspect of GTD perfectly. Perhaps I am finally OK with what I am not doing because it is tucked away in a trusted system.

All I have ever wanted from the program, teaching, training, coaching, and webinars is reduced stress; greater productivity was secondary. Applying many of the GTD principles allows me to enjoy a reduction in stress even at those times I am not operating as productively as possible.

I am going to write down the stages and include them in my quarterly reviews (Yes. I do weekly reviews, too). They will fit nicely in my "Check-up from the Neck-up" list.

Thanks for posting.

Birdingtn

Registered
Review, Learn, Implement, Repeat

kelstarrising;108135 said:
Where do you fit in to the three stages of integrating GTD?

Three Stages to Intergrating GTD

1. Understanding – You understand the distinct differences in the five phases of mastering workflow. You understand a project versus a next action. You know how to transform what you’ve collected by asking the key processing questions, clarifying what something is, and what you want to do about it.

2. Implementation – You have installed at least the basic gear to support a GTD system, including ubiquitous collection tools, functioning reference systems for your non-actionable information, and seamless buckets with “clean edges” for tracking your projects and next actions.

3. Behavior Change – The five phases of mastering workflow are second nature to you. You have changed the way you think and work and are achieving stress-free productivity on a regular basis. When you “fall off” you know what to do to get “back on.”

I agree with Jon, I feel like I have some understanding and some implementation. It helps to review and go back to the well so to speak to gain a little more understanding. When I work the system in bite size pieces, I feel great. At other times I fail, pick myself up and try again. I guess that is one of the big reasons we keep coming back to the forums to support others and to continue to learn and tune or individualize our own GTD system.
Michael

Oogiem

Registered
Yes

All 3 at various times. Most of the time I'm between 2 and 3. What keeps me from staying in 3 all the time is the comment "The five phases of mastering workflow are second nature to you. " It's not second nature, it still takes work at times but I am getting more done of the important stuff and can usually get back on track when I fall off fairly quickly and easily.

LEAJ4

Registered
That's a very provocative question and list--thank you, Kelly. It jolted me out of thinking I had it pretty much figured out.

I agree with the others that I'm in any of the 3 at any given time. Right now, I'm back from travel and am feeling overloaded and overwhelmed. My desk is messy, the physical Inbox is overflowing, and the email Inboxes need attention.

But the system is in place and I understand it fairly well (although still am not as good at next action and projects as I could be and am still not disciplined enough with putting things into the Inbox). So I don't panic, can keep working on critical things, and am comfortable knowing that it will only take a couple of hours to get things back on track and ready for a proper Weekly Review.

I'm not hard on myself for implementing GTD imperfectly--gave up on perfection in any aspect of my life a long time ago. GTD is an iterative process for me and I gain deeper understanding as time goes on, which is probably what keeps me going--I love to learn and improve.

Leslie

Barb

Registered
10 years of this...

After GTD-ing for 10 years, I can't even imagine myself completely giving it up. I would be a #3. BUT that does not mean there aren't areas of improvement at any given time. For example, I'm making changes to my Evernote (reference only) system now based on your Guide (available soon, folks...I was a Beta tester).

That's the beauty of staying engaged with the Connect community! For me, GTD won't ever be a static thing. I will stay open to new and easier ways of doing things. I don't change my list manager without a compelling reason, however. And calling myself a "3" doesn't mean I don't sometimes I have bad day or even a bad week, GTD wise. I don't sweat that anymore, though. I just get back on track and keep going. When I do "fall off", I'm pretty uncomfortable until I can do my WR review and get things back under control again.

jmsmall

Registered
Reminds me of an old formulation I saw years ago

Stages of understanding:
Unconscious incompetence-- I don't know what I don't know
Conscious incompetence-- Now I know what I don't know
Conscious competence-- I think I can, I think I can, grit teeth, I can do it
Unconscious competence-- hey man no problem. David Allen here...

Jim (jmsmall)

Oogiem

Registered
4 stages comments

jmsmall;108166 said:
Stages of understanding:
Unconscious incompetence-- I don't know what I don't know
Conscious incompetence-- Now I know what I don't know
Conscious competence-- I think I can, I think I can, grit teeth, I can do it
Unconscious competence-- hey man no problem. David Allen here...

Jim (jmsmall)

Love that description of learning new stuff. I think it applies in so much of what we do. OTOH I am learning a task where the instructor specifically says that she never wants us to ever get to the unconscious competence level. The task is shooting a handgun safely and effectively at targets. And in her words you never ever want to unconsciously handle a gun so never get so comfortable with your procedures that you forget to consciously think about the 4 rules of gun handling each and every time you pick up a weapon. http://www.corneredcat.com/article/firearms-safety/the-four-rules/

Which got me to thinking, are there other tasks where unconscious competence is dangerous?

Balance

Registered
The importance of refreshing

Thanks for the post. I recently started to re-read David Allen's first book. Though I never consciously left GTD, I reached a certain level of comfort, experimented with other ideas in my workflow and generally did not "think" about GTD. At one point I realized that I am doing GTD out of wrote but not getting the "stress free" element out of it. This motivated me to get back to basics.

Coming back from a break with a fresh look is very exciting because when you already have a system in place it is much easier to find seemingly small improvements that have a large payoff.