Timeful app?

mcogilvie

Registered
Timeful has just about everything going against it. It wants you to schedule todo's, which is bad enough, but it wants to take over that job for you. It integrates with just about nothing.

TesTeq

Registered
mcogilvie said:
Timeful has just about everything going against it. It wants you to schedule todo's, which is bad enough, but it wants to take over that job for you. It integrates with just about nothing.

Scheduling todos works for some people (I hope David Allen doesn't hear this heresy).

Timeful wanted my email (no offline mode?)... and still wants... ;-)

mcogilvie

Registered
TesTeq said:
Scheduling todos works for some people (I hope David Allen doesn't hear this heresy).

Timeful wanted my email (no offline mode?)... and still wants... ;-)

Scheduling some todos works for just about everybody. But nobody can schedule everything- it's a recipe for frustration and failure, if not madness.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I can't see a use for this app because so much of my life is unpredictable and therefore impossible to schedule; that's why I prefer GTD to the alternatives. I doubt this app was designed for the GTD crowd.

JamesT

Registered
I've played around with it a little. I understand what they are trying to do. They "find time" for me to get my most important things done. I just don't agree with the method they are trying to use to do it. I think for those of us that have done GTD for years and years will find it to big of a shift. I think it's more aimed at those that keep a loose list of to dos or schedule their to do's.

Todd V

Registered
Yes. I have been using Timeful for the last few months and find it useful--especially for developing new habits.

JamesT

Registered
Todd V said:
Yes. I have been using Timeful for the last few months and find it useful--especially for developing new habits.

Interesting, I can see how it could be useful for habits.. Have you tried it for tasks? Especially from a GTD perspective I find it hard to think it would work for tasks. It seems better suited for non-GTD system followers, who maybe only list a few tasks per day they want to accomplish, but don't keep a master list of projects/next actions.

jesig

Registered
I am actually finding Timeful a pretty brilliant addition to my GTD arsenal. Reason being, most of my days are self-directed--although I start a new job on Monday, so that will change. But right now, I need to work about 4-ish hours a day (at any point during the day) on my consulting job, and complete a number of academic tasks every day and still make sure other things happen like cleaning the house, doing laundry, making food so I don't starve, etc. I do all this work from home.

I use it the way one might use a focus list, which David has talked much more about in recent years than he used to. The brilliance in it for me is that I really have to think about how much time a particular thing is going to take. So when I'm choosing say, to focus on revising Chapter 2, reviewing abstracts, and doing some personal writing, I can look at that and realize I've committed six hours to that work.

My context lists decide what goes on my Timeful for any given day, and when something finishes faster or I need to change what's going on, I go straight back to my contexts. But I'm finding it useful to have a reminder that, hey, realistically, looking into this new CMS should take me about two hours, and then I need to hop on edits to the request for proposals, and then I need to call it quits for my job for the day and get back to work on my dissertation.