Tips for coding with GTD?

cfoley

Registered
Programming has been my hobby for as long as I can remember. It's a large part of my day job, I moonlight as a freelance programmer and I have several hobby projects. However, I can't seem to organise the projects and actions into my GTD system in a way that helps me.

Software codebases generally have desired features and bugs (collectively issues). Some issues are quick and easy. Others will take several steps and resolving most issues will uncover more actions or even new issues. This sounds a lot like GTD projects and that is how it is currently implemented on my system. This leaves the question of what to do with contexts. At the moment, I have @Work Code and @Code Personal (which includes my freelance work). I find these to be insufficient.

The nature of my work means that I manage multiple codebases. Some are huge and are nearly a decade old. Others are tiny and short-lived. I don't want to create a context for each since there would be an explosion of contexts, yet I think that may represent the reality (one of the biggest complaints of software developers is context switching).

An option I might explore is to use issue trackers for all my projects. I have that for some codebases already and I'm thinking it might be the best way to go. However, I don't know what my context and action lists would look like then.

Any thoughts or ideas?