Todoist adds start/end task dates, natural language input, more in new update

devon.marie

Registered
Today Todoist released iOS version 10 of their app, which updated a lot of sorely needed flaws in the app. It also begins introducing new features into Todoist, however, like start/end dates for repeating tasks, natural language input, and some other features that make it a MUCH better GTD option, in my opinion. Thoughts?

https://blog.todoist.com/2015/03/31/...os-version-10/

I've been migrating back to Todoist for the past couple of weeks because I keep running into issues where I can't use Trello because of terrible internet connectivity. I use the 3 priority levels to dictate priority tasks that must be done by a certain date (red), scheduled tasks that can only be done on or after a certain date (dark blue), and next actions (light blue). They also added the ability to create custom filters using projects, so I sorted my tasks into their AoFs (work and home/freelance). It's been amazing for GTD and having start/end dates makes it even better.

mcogilvie

Registered
I find Todoist to be annoying as crippleware, and I have never forked over the $29/yr to try the premium version. The outline model seems peculiar to me, and I have never been clear on what project indentation means. The various widgets and other new things have not worked as well for me on iOS or OS X as 1st-tier apps like Things, OmniFocus or Wunderlist. To each his own.

devon.marie

Registered
mcogilvie said:
I find Todoist to be annoying as crippleware, and I have never forked over the $29/yr to try the premium version. The outline model seems peculiar to me, and I have never been clear on what project indentation means. The various widgets and other new things have not worked as well for me on iOS or OS X as 1st-tier apps like Things, OmniFocus or Wunderlist. To each his own.
That suprises me. I have used all of the apps mentioned and find Todoist the easiest/most fluent of them all. Things is pretty outdated, Omnifocus costs an incredible amount of money, and Wunderlist feature-sparse and sync-flawed. I like Todoist because it integrates in everything and is on every platform. I feel like the outline model makes sense when you use it, and project indentation is perfect for separating AoFs so you can focus on solely those tasks where you can currently act upon them. Plus, you can create your own filters so you can view whatever combination of tasks you desire.

It's surprising how people can have completely different experiences with the same applications. To each his/her own indeed! :D

mcogilvie

Registered
chirmer said:
That suprises me. I have used all of the apps mentioned and find Todoist the easiest/most fluent of them all. Things is pretty outdated, Omnifocus costs an incredible amount of money, and Wunderlist feature-sparse and sync-flawed. I like Todoist because it integrates in everything and is on every platform. I feel like the outline model makes sense when you use it, and project indentation is perfect for separating AoFs so you can focus on solely those tasks where you can currently act upon them. Plus, you can create your own filters so you can view whatever combination of tasks you desire.

It's surprising how people can have completely different experiences with the same applications. To each his/her own indeed! :D

I think Todoist is a competent 2nd-tier todo app, like Toodledo. Omnifocus, Things, and Wunderlist all make good use of the latest iOS and OS X technologies. They all have announced Apple Watch apps. You may or may not like how they work, but they are all quite good and work very well. Todoist's price of just under $30/year ($28.99?) puts its cost pretty close to that of Omnifocus depending on how you pick your numbers, but more than Things and Wunderlist (the free version is not crippled). I can't comment on the usability of Todoist precisely because it is crippleware. I think the free version of Toodledo is less crippled, but the paid version annual price is similar to that of Todoist.