Tracking Reference Material that really doesn't belong to a project or specific area

ivanjay205

Registered
As a business executive I enjoy reading a lot of business books. Within them I often pickup tidbits of information or good strategies, or good habits to adopt. Lots of them are not actionable but something I want to "read" or be reminded of occassionally just as a reminder to try to practice it.

For example, in two recent books I came across sections in the book that basically reminded you in a leadership to ensure you are remaining focused on overarching strategy and not getting too into the weeds on day to day operations where not required. Another was simply to visualize business events and their outcomes similar to how an athlete visualizes a play before it happens.

Any thoughts or best strategies on where to keep these nuggets of information and create a review frequency around them? Project reference is a bit clearer to me as it relates specifically to something. I use Omnifocus as a tool but this is really not tool specific of a question.

Thanks!

mcogilvie

Registered
Lots of ways to handle this specific issue. Here are two. One: set up a project containing quotes with a quote context. set each quote to repeat x days after being checked off, with staggered start dates and x some random integer between say 7 and 60 (once a week to every 2 months). Check for new quotes every day, and check them off when you want. Two: use an app that is made for random repetition of information to be learned, generally found in the Education category.

ivanjay205

Registered
Lots of ways to handle this specific issue. Here are two. One: set up a project containing quotes with a quote context. set each quote to repeat x days after being checked off, with staggered start dates and x some random integer between say 7 and 60 (once a week to every 2 months). Check for new quotes every day, and check them off when you want. Two: use an app that is made for random repetition of information to be learned, generally found in the Education category.
Thanks, that's a good idea. Just to setup a project and have them as a repeating next action to surface every once in awhile. I was also thinking about just making a monthly review frequency in OmniFocus but that means it might get to be a long list.

dtj

Registered
If its vaguely actionable, like list of books or URL's to read, create an "Investigate" project, and tag them '@ToRead' (or '@investigate') tag. For stuff like nuggets of info for reference, keep them far far away from your projects. Keep those in a notes system, like nvAlt or Obsidian on the mac.

Oogiem

Registered
Any thoughts or best strategies on where to keep these nuggets of information and create a review frequency around them?
I've moved all that sort of stuff into Obsidian as individual notes, tagged them with a #thoughts tag and then use the Smart Random Note plugin to show me a random note from a search term. I can click the icon and get a thought for the day.

Plus, the notes themselves are slowly getitng links and backlinks to other palces where I want to see that informaiton so it's becoming more useful over time

ianfh10

Registered
Check out Tiago Forte's Building a Second Brain. It's a methodology for managing information rather than actions, though the main principle is that notes (the main unit of the system) are organised by actionability, using the PARA method (projects, areas, resources, archive) and a digital note taking app of your choice.

There are also workflow steps explained, much like GTD, as to how to capture notes, organise them and use them. Also like GTD it's a very practical set of practices, and the book explains how to set up your folders etc across tools/apps etc.

I would really recommend the system, it's very much like GTD but for reference, information and knowledge rather than projects, actions and outcomes, and I've found that like GTD, it's applicable anywhere for any area or project both personally and professionally.

RomanS

Registered
I would really recommend the system, it's very much like GTD but for reference, information and knowledge rather than projects, actions and outcomes, and I've found that like GTD, it's applicable anywhere for any area or project both personally and professionally.
The combination of both - GTD and BASB - is really great. I like it and I use it.

mmouts

Registered
Check this:https://readwise.io/
Amazing tool.

As a business executive I enjoy reading a lot of business books. Within them I often pickup tidbits of information or good strategies, or good habits to adopt. Lots of them are not actionable but something I want to "read" or be reminded of occassionally just as a reminder to try to practice it.

For example, in two recent books I came across sections in the book that basically reminded you in a leadership to ensure you are remaining focused on overarching strategy and not getting too into the weeds on day to day operations where not required. Another was simply to visualize business events and their outcomes similar to how an athlete visualizes a play before it happens.

Any thoughts or best strategies on where to keep these nuggets of information and create a review frequency around them? Project reference is a bit clearer to me as it relates specifically to something. I use Omnifocus as a tool but this is really not tool specific of a question.

Thanks!

YannCharlou

Registered
Hi,
What you are looking for seems to be PKM (Personal Knowledge Management). I'm applying Zettelkasten method from approximatively 2 years using Obsidian App.
You can think about this like :
- GTD is for tasks
- Zettlekasten is for knowledge.

Below the main principles :
- take notes when you read. (some apps can help you)
- destruct this notes to smaller concepts. (one concept = one card)
- link the concepts together.

It will give you a sort of map or wiki of all your knowledge. With the help of an app like Obsidian you will construct a big visual map of concepts that will help you to think about them. It's extremely powerfull.

If you want to memorize some concepts, you can find a great help with anki app.

Obsidian app : https://obsidian.md/
Anki app : https://apps.ankiweb.net/
A course I've took about an extended version of ZettleKasten (I took the french version but it is also available in english). I absolutely don't regret it. : https://www.atomicthinking.com/