Trello really improved !

bilan

Registered
Hello,

I wanted to share my experience with Trello.
I tried this software several years ago and it had some lacks which lead me to look for another software. I eventually used Facilethings as it was very close to the GTD method. But, although it has improved year after year it still suffer from some downsides like the UI and the mobile app.
And a new colleague talked to me about Trello that he just started to use so I gave it another try and I was pleasantly surprised !

First we can use as many power-up as we want. Before it was limited to only one. Second, we can have up to 10 boards. And above those divisions, we can have workspaces (I don't know the limit).

So I created 2 workspaces: Private and Work.
In my Private workspace, I created a Board "Tasks" where I have the following lists: Inbox, Next, Waiting For, Done. I have another Board "Sometimes/Maybe/Ideas". and another one "Archives" where I move my "Done" tasks from time to time. I have other boards, one per "big" project. Also, I hv a board "Routines" where I have lists weekly, monthly, yearly, and snoozed(for the equivalent of the tickler file).

You can set a wallpaper for each board with simple colors, or with a picture of yours, or chosen among a very big photo library they propose (and you can search by keyword). You can also set a cover photo *per* task. It makes it pretty and efficient if you are a visual person.

You can create a lot of rules. For example: in the snoozed list, every card(=task) have a due date. When a due date is reached, one rule move the card to the list "Next" in my "Tasks" board. Same for the tasks in the other list of the "Routines" board, because, of course, you can repeat tasks (every last day of the month, every Saturday, every 1st of July, one time every 3 days, one time every 6 months, etc..). So I never go in my Routines board, except to add/remove one routine.

You have a very powerful search engine. You can filter keyword, tags, with or without due date, due date over, etc..

As I said there are a lot of power-ups. Like one to connect with Jira(of course, same company), or google drive, or onedrive, or google calendar, Microsoft Teams, slack, S3, dropbox, a time-tracker, etc.. there are so many.

You can create buttons on cards, or on boards, and define a(or several) action you want to excecute when you click on it.

You have a calendar view and you can share your calendar to have it in your ical (or google calendar).

You can 2way synchronise cards through board (so if you do a change on a card inside a specific board, it is mirrored on another one. (For now it is a paid power-up but it will arrive as native in June they said.).

Of course, the biggest force of Trello is when you work as a team, since you can assign/comment every tasks to someone.

For now, I use the free version. That's another positive part :)

Voilà, I just wanted to share my positive experience with this tool. Give it a try.

Take care,

Last edited:

Diego

Registered
Trello runs my entire life. This year I even purchased goal after being a subscriber for years and it was 100% work it. I have it synced with my google calendar and I use it as a to-do list/dashboard to integrate all my other apps and keep track of everything I need.