Treo -- way to expand beyond 15 categories?

S

Scott716

The Palm Treo 650 has an odd limit that it allows only a maximum of 15 categories in Tasks. Using GTD, I exceed that.

Has anyone figured out a way to use more than 15 categories on the Palm Treo 650 or used some good third-party software that replaces Tasks (and allows more than 15 categories)?

Thanks!

M

mochant

Try KeySuite from Chapura

Scott716 said:
The Palm Treo 650 has an odd limit that it allows only a maximum of 15 categories in Tasks. Using GTD, I exceed that.

Has anyone figured out a way to use more than 15 categories on the Palm Treo 650 or used some good third-party software that replaces Tasks (and allows more than 15 categories)?

Thanks!
If you use a PC and Outlook, I highly recommend KeySuite from Chapura. This Outlook companion for the Palm OS eliminates the category limit and adds the most complete fidelity to Outlook on the Palm. The apps are nicely integrated (unlike the built-in Palm apps) and the conduits supplied with the program are excellent as you would expect from a company with as long a history in that business as Chapura has.

The only caveat is that KeySuite uses its own dB files to store information and you'll have a duplicate set of records on your Palm unless you delete all of the records from your built-in apps once you switch. So, I strongly recommend you back up your Palm apps database files to a memory card and delete them from internal memory to save some precious storage space on the internal store. Resco Explorer (commercial) or FileZ (freeware) are good tools to handle this chore.

HTH,
Marc

C

CEB

Beyond Contacts from DataViz. Very expensive, but offers many of the benefits of Outlook including more categories. Free trial available.

whitesco

Registered
I used Beyond Contacts for a couple of years on my Tungsten before getting a Treo 700W. Absolutely loved it and wish it was available for Windows Mobile. It will expand your category capability, allow sub-folders for Outlook folders (I used that feature for email and contacts), and works really nicely with the contacts-as-a-project method of GTD (that was one of my subfolders).

packmatthews

Registered
Curious

whitesco said:
, and works really nicely with the contacts-as-a-project method of GTD (that was one of my subfolders).

could you say a little bit more about what you mean by "contacts-as-a-project", is that similar to what I've see in another post where a project was given it's own contact record in Outlook?

Thanks
Pack

C

CEB

Yes, that's how I do it. I have a folder for true contacts (people I know) and one for Projects. In the Projects folder, I have a customised Contact template where I can make notes about the project. I can set the NA for the project quickly by clicking 'New Task for Contact' or 'New Appointment with Contact'. It also has the benefit that if I open a NA (Task) for a project, it contains a link to the project itself to make navigation easy and fast.

whitesco

Registered
You'll find a couple of threads in the forum about projects-as-a-contact. But you've got the gist of it...a project becomes a contact record - in Outlook for example.
Then you can link tasks, other contacts, etc. to that contact on the Activities tab and have a collection point for everything that is related. I've only experimented with it, I don't live by this approach but some do. Those that really use it have, I think, created some custom forms & views to streamline things a bit more.