Turnaraound ... what is your hardest thing about GTD?

TesTeq

Registered
No sweat - no image.

"That guy got the job done in time, delivered great quality and he didn't seem to sweat once."
In the perfect world this statement would work but in the marketing-based world the statement "he didn't seem to sweat once" does not build the required image of workaholic. You have to show your boss that your job requires many sacrifices and your success is achieved with extreme dedication.
TesTeq

E

emp

I agree

Actually,

I agree with TesTeq.
Although everybody knows that projects done in a calm and organied manner yield better results and less errors, tales around the campfire talk about those nightmare-projects, looming deadlines and heroic all-nighters.

Sadly, management, too tends to notice those bad project (and leaders) more because they create more storm and excitement.

I was witness to the career-climb of the most horrible project lead ever.
(Hey, he had all those really difficult projects to handle, and he managed somehow, didn't he?)

But for my own safety and mental health, I'll pass.

Shortly, I'll get back to work with a project lead who is one of the most organied (and relaxed) people ever... And find myself looking forward to it.

::: emp :::

C

CosmoGTD

Its amazing to me that the Weekly Review is a pain for so many folks. I have done mine EVERY week for i guess more than a couple of years. From time to time i put it off 1 day or so, but i am PULLED to do it, and go through my checklist. To me its EASY, and i always feel great after its done. Better than a good poop!

Anyway, my weakest link is...

The Projects List

for some nutty reason i go from either too few projects, or too many.

I think our personal problems with GTD come down to our own Beliefs.
I am doing a lot of work on that right now, and its pretty obvious to me that our Beliefs ABOUT things create our problems WITH them.
This includes problems with parts of GTD. (I believe)

Coz

Bellaisa

Registered
My weakest link initially was also what has probably helped me the most.. - so this addresses both threads - I initially resisted anything related to filing - a ticker file, putting my files in alpha order, a labeler, filing my email rather than leaving them in in box. Those were the some of the last things I implemented, but they made all the difference. I do so much less backtracking and now they are just habits I don't realy think about.

I think my current weakest link is having the discipline to do predefined work in the right amounts rather than doing work as it shows up. I think it a similar sort of weakness that Busydave was taking about with procrastinating...there is a certain fun in seeing what shows up each day and going with flow...but I bring so much more benefit to my company, family, life when I stragetically think about what really needs to happen and make sure I am moving those projects forward rather than bouncing around with each email, phone call and person coming into my office. This is probably why I struggle more with my daily review than my weekly review - I'm always just temped to jump into my email, voice mail and see what's new.

A couple cheap tricks for those who need urgency and people who struggle with the weekly review. And these really are cheap.

For the weekly review, I always have a sense that at least my in-box needs to be totally empty before I start.....I'm just ready to start, and in comes another piece of paper. I've learned that if I need to, I just give myself a few minutes to do an emergency scan of my paper in box, see if there is anything that will really truly blow up if I don't handle it that afternoon and then I stick the rest of the paper in my tickler file to put back in my inbox the next morning or when I'm done with my WR. That way I don't see it out of the corner of my eye and get distracted by it. There are probably a number of reasons why this is a bad idea, but sometimes it is what I need to do.

For Busydave and other who need a sense of urgency - fake it. You've probably heard this one, but I've been playing iwth this idea during my daily review and it helps. If you could win an all expense paid vacation for 30 days, where would go you? Picture that in your mind. When you come into work and you are doing your daily review, imagine that you get a call saying you've won that vacation and they've already worked with your boss to get you the time off, but you have to leave tomorrow. What would you absolutely have to wrap up before you go? See what that queestion raises as a game plan and then try to stick with it that day.

You can do the same thing for home...if you got a call on Saturday morning saying you had to leave your home and family on Sunday for two weeks (I find a month too depessing) for some sort of an emergency, how would you play that day.

A

Anonymous

My toughest piece is just looking at the amount of time it takes to MAINTAIN this system. It can be very draining. It can almost be like a job onto itself.

I would be interested in hearing how people make decisions on where to
"draw the line" on how 'extreme' they go with aspects of the system, and/or on where 'quantity cuts/reductions' are made/ boundaries are upheld so that maintaining the gtd system doesn't become a virtual full time job in itself.

J

Janice313

What is the Hardest Thing?

Two things:

1. I work in a very deadline-driven job, and I'd have to say that keeping track of upcoming deadlines & priorities has been and continues to be a huge challenge for me. (I'm doing a great job of getting batteries replaced, though!) :wink:

2. Getting/keeping all the parts working at once. Sometimes I feel like implementing GTD is like being a conductor (or a one-man band!). You need to know when to call on your calendar, tickler, next action lists, etc. and you need to use them with just the right touch or the system doesn't work as well as it could and can become over-burdensome. Wish I could think of a better analogy.. maybe someone else can...

Janice

S

spectecGTD

Here's my NSHO:

I'm going on 7 weeks into implementing GTD, and I'll admit that I've devoted a considerable amount of administrative time to changing/altering my systems & metodologies. However, I'm seeing immediate paybacks in terms of time saved by my eliminating many of the redundancies in my old system, and I see exponentially greater productivity payoffs down the road..

I don't plan on GTD being a chore - I plan to weave it into the way I do things to the point that I don't really think about it, I'll just automatically do it. So for me, the essence of doing GTD is moving toward making GTD the framework supporting all my work, , not some separate entity that requires its own support system. Otherwise I personally wouldn't be bothering with it.