Turning MM/RM into a complete trusted system

MKronstadt

Registered
I have found the MindManger / ResultsManager combination to be a great way to manage my work and home projects and next actions, but not with the mobility I need to rely solely on it.

I have MM & RM on both my work and home PCs, but MM doesn't run on the Palm PDA I use in between.

Right now, I synch my sets of maps between the two PCs with a flash drive, but that takes more effort than I really like, and I have no way to capture ideas/actions when I'm away from the PC other than on paper.

I'm considering switching to a Windows-based Treo, just so I can run MM on it, but I really hate what I've seen of that OS.

Are there other people out there using MindManager in this way--and how to you take it on the road?

Or are there other tools I could be using to synchronize my work and personal PCs (that's half the problem) and then just rely on paper in between.

garthk

Registered
I'm using only one system...

I'm using just the one MindManager/ResultsManager instance to manage all of my affairs. I just paid for it, but I'm still uncomfortable with some of its warts.

I suspect your best approach is to keep using the USB key, but use it as the primary copy of your data. Then, it's never out of date.

Backing up can be as easy as using SyncToy on one or both of the home and work machines. Trigger it hourly with the Microsoft task scheduler (Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks), and manually just before you disconnect with an appropriate batch file or ActiveWords verb.

I capture using three systems: Moleskine Reporter , Dave's wallet , and Gyronix' new GyroQ . I've stopped trying to capture on my Palm Tx: Graffiti is too slow, and I haven't yet found an easy way to gather it into the rest of my system.

nw

Registered
Palm import

Hi,

Bonsai outliner can import Mindmanager XML files. This can be done at the command line, therefore it should be possible to schedule or use Activeworks to automate the process. This would allow you to upload your mind maps to your Palm as Bonsai outliner files.

MindManager can't read Bonsai XML files directly, but there may be a way to export from Bonsai in another format would could be read by Mind Manager.

I'm haven't had time to do much investigation, but it looks like import/export between Bonsai and MM is possible, but true 'synchronisation' would require a lot more effort and programming.

I have also just started to use GyroQ and this has rekindled my interest in using MM as my 'trusted system'.

Nigel

airdis

Registered
While I'm not using RM (at least, not yet) I do use MindManager pretty heavily and have both work and home PCs - to keep them sync'ed I used the Flash key thing for a while - it's annoying. These days I use FolderShare (www.foldershare.com). It's a free service - you just specify a folder on each machine to keep sync'ed, and then forget about it - it runs in the background. Whatever map I save or change on my work machine appears at home, and vice versa.

Foldershare got bought by Microsoft a while ago, so it shouldn't be disappearing any time soon.

darlakbrown

Registered
foldershare

Before you play with foldershare, please back-up your files! If you're not sure how to use it and you begin to play around with it, you may accidentally set it up to change files. Speaking from experience here... it may delete a version of a file you needed. Make a reserve copy of every folder you want to sync (onto another disk) before using it.
Darla

kewms

Registered
MKronstadt said:
I have found the MindManger / ResultsManager combination to be a great way to manage my work and home projects and next actions, but not with the mobility I need to rely solely on it.

I have MM & RM on both my work and home PCs, but MM doesn't run on the Palm PDA I use in between.

Right now, I synch my sets of maps between the two PCs with a flash drive, but that takes more effort than I really like, and I have no way to capture ideas/actions when I'm away from the PC other than on paper.

I used Outlook as an intermediary: Dump data from RM (Pro version) to Outlook, and from there you can send it just about anywhere it needs to go, including to a PDA. Read the manual carefully, as maintaining the RM-Outlook links can be tricky.

Note, however, that the above paragraph is in the past tense. I no longer use RM because I got tired of the overhead.

Katherine

M

mihain

Do you combine Outllook with anything else now?

After tying RM for few days I also find it too complicated. Main concern as Outlook user is how to relate tasks to projects so I don't loose track of them. I was thinking for an associated folder Projects-Tasks related so when a task in that category is solved i know to check the projects folder.

Any other ideas?

kewms

Registered
mihain said:
Do you combine Outllook with anything else now?

After I abandoned RM, I went back to paper. I only use Outlook for contacts and email now. Since it's overkill if that's all I'm doing, I'm thinking of abandoning it altogether.

Katherine