Using ACT with GTD

A

Anonymous

I am trying to implement the GTD concept. I am currently using ACT to manage my client list of over 2000 people. I have invested about 6 months into my ACT database.

I use ACT to do the following;

1. Keep track of customer interactions via voice and email
2. Keep track of my loan process (I own a mortgage company)
a. Take application
b. Pull Credit
c. Initial underwriting to determine if a loan or credit repair is needed
d. If Credit repair then start that process
e. If loan is ok start that process
3. Marketing, I use ACT to market contacts on a regular basis automatically
4. Customer Data, I keep some customer data in ACT so I can refer to it when talking to customer eg. Birthday, hobbies, etc.

I use outlook for my email.

I want to use outlook as directed by GTD outlook supplement for misc projects. eg. Customer calls for status of loan and also asks me if I know about a loan specifically for Doctors.

I think I can note the conversation in ACT and create a project in outlook to find a specific loan for Doctors. Basically using GTD for only projects outside the processing of a customer file.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Can it work? is there a better way?

Thanks
Danny@yourmortgagedoctor.com

A

Anonymous

ACT and GTD

In David's book he says that he uses ACT for his company and client contact management. So there is hope there.

I have found that if you preface the 'Regarding' field with the context, @HOME - complete storage pack up, or @OFFICE - draft proposal, or @CALLS - call Mike on referrals; then you can easily sort your Task List view in ACT to show all of those contect based actions together.

Hope that helps.

Thomas M

J

Joe Bryant

Re: ACT and GTD

Thomas said:
In David's book he says that he uses ACT for his company and client contact management. So there is hope there.

I have found that if you preface the 'Regarding' field with the context, @HOME - complete storage pack up, or @OFFICE - draft proposal, or @CALLS - call Mike on referrals; then you can easily sort your Task List view in ACT to show all of those contect based actions together.

Hope that helps.

Thomas M

Thanks for the tip on the Re: field. I was trying to figure out how to sort the columns.

Anyone else have thoughts on merging GTD with ACT!? I'm in the process of preparing to jump in. I have some history with ACT but can also make the move over the Outlook for everything if that made more sense. I do like the easier way that ACT! lets' me record notes on contacts vs the more cumbersome Outlook Journal feature but I also like the idea of using one app for most everything.

More thoughts?

Much thanks.

Joe

A

Anonymous

Act with GTD

I've read some people use the "groups" feature for projects and then link their appts-todos etc to the project that way.

If they can find a way to speed up act for palm --act might not be a bad GTD tool . They need to allow undated tasks too!

Paul

J

Joe Bryant

Re: Act with GTD

Paul said:
I've read some people use the "groups" feature for projects and then link their appts-todos etc to the project that way.

If they can find a way to speed up act for palm --act might not be a bad GTD tool . They need to allow undated tasks too!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Is the ACT for Palm app really slow? How does it compare to synching with Outlook to the Palm? I've been wondering.

Thanks.

Joe

A

Anonymous

act for palm

it's very slow --it uses its own database to stay in perfect sync with the desktop. Every time you close one record it has to reload all the other records all over again.

It's a good first effor for what they're trying to do --but it needs lots of work. I've noticed some retailers are offering a free copy of act for palm when you buy act 6

Syncing with outlook is much faster --guaranteed.

if you visit www.act.com under tech support --you'll see the user forums listed --there's one specifically for the palm version. You can read lots of complaints.

paul

J

Joe Bryant

Re: act for palm

Paul said:
it's very slow --it uses its own database to stay in perfect sync with the desktop. Every time you close one record it has to reload all the other records all over again.

It's a good first effor for what they're trying to do --but it needs lots of work. I've noticed some retailers are offering a free copy of act for palm when you buy act 6

Syncing with outlook is much faster --guaranteed.

if you visit www.act.com under tech support --you'll see the user forums listed --there's one specifically for the palm version. You can read lots of complaints.

paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks. Do you have a link for the forums on ACT.com? I did not see them there under tech support or on the site.

Thanks.

Joe

TPorter2

Registered
Act Forums

There are some Act Forums at ContactReview.com, a great site dealing with Contact Management software.

J

Joe Bryant

Re: act groups

paul said:
http://www.act.com/support/technicalsupport/afp/index.cfm

try this link and choose " discussion groups"

Paul

Thanks Paul!

Joe