Using an mp3 Player to Leverage Focus and Vision

kglade

Registered
Coz:

What you are doing sounds compatible with Shad Helmstetter's "Self-Talk Solution." He has a couple of books and tape sets of pre-recorded material. In one of his books, he has suggestions for making your own recording. You might want to check it out.

I am reading my first Albert Ellis book. I got the idea from you. Thanks.

Ken

Scott_L_Lewis

Registered
Two Questions

Coz wrote:
I am currently experimenting, with great success, using an mp3 player to amplify my Focus and Vision. I came up with this idea, while looking at some current technical psychological literature about using “endless loop” cassette tapes for clients to experience “flooding” to overcome PTSD. They would make a short tape, in the way that was instructed, and then listen to this tape for about 45 min, REPEATEDLY for a number of weeks. (They have an entire system for doing this, which would take 40 pages to explain).
Coz,

I'm curious. How long have you been doing this? Have you noticed the positive effects increasing or decreasing over time?

Also, can you provide a reference to the literature that describes the flooding process?

C

CosmoGTD

Re: Two Questions

Some good info on this "Flooding" technique, using an endless loop cassette can be found in "Thoughts and Feelings" Chapter 8, by McKay and Davis et al. There is lots of other great info in this book as well.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1572240938/104-2385013-2675952?v=glance

Scott_L_Lewis said:
I'm curious. How long have you been doing this? Have you noticed the positive effects increasing or decreasing over time?

Also, can you provide a reference to the literature that describes the flooding process?

J

jmarkey

Coz,

Would you be willing to share a sample portion of your script?

Jean

kglade

Registered
CosmoGTD said:
Which Ellis book are you reading?

I'm reading Guide to Rational Living.

Since this is a little off-subject for DA, do you know if there is a discussion forum re: Ellis and similar others?

Ken

J

jmarkey

Coz,

Thanks for elaborating. I think I will give it a try.

Jean

C

CosmoGTD

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/REBT-CBT-FORUM/messages
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/REBT/messages

There are these two, but they are not very active.
I'll let you know if i find any others.

A New Guide To Rational Living is a great book.
As far as being off-topic, that is true, to a point.
GTD is about living more effectively, and so is REBT.
REBT is basically about getting more of what you want, and less of what you don't want.
More enjoyment and productivity, and less stress, anger, frustration, procrastination, etc.

Their Outcomes are very similar.

Coz

kglade said:
CosmoGTD said:
Which Ellis book are you reading?

I'm reading Guide to Rational Living.

Since this is a little off-subject for DA, do you know if there is a discussion forum re: Ellis and similar others?

Ken

C

CosmoGTD

I have to say I am quite surprised that this idea seems to have almost no resonance with others.

It never ceases to amaze me how totally idiosyncratic each of our internal, personal strategies are.

One man's food is truly another man's poison.

Coz

A

Anonymous

I think it sounds very interesting and will be curious to hear how it unfolds for you. Mostly, I think it sounds like like a lot of work up front. I do think that there is something to cognitive theory though.

S

spring

Keep us posted on what you learn, Coz. I'm getting an iPod as a gift soon, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with your technique with my new toy.

A

Anonymous

Great Idea Coz, really...

Its just I am not in the market for an MP3 player at that moment (not that I haven't toyed with the idea).

When I do get an MP3 player--- this sounds like something I will try to incorporate into my system/philosophy.

Thanks for the inspiration

C

CosmoGTD

Well, i put it up there to get some feedback from folks on it, maybe collaborate with others a bit, but it didn't seem to connect with anyone, so i took it down...as it has nothing much to do with GTD.

i still think its a great idea, and its working great for me...and i am just getting started with it...maybe i'll write a book someday.... :p

Coz

ceehjay

Registered
Too bad you took it down. I had gone back to read it a couple of times because I needed time to process it.

It leaves the impression that you were miffed that no one leaped on your suggestion, and it certainly makes the rest of the posts in this thread look quite strange (including mine).

Carolyn

C

CosmoGTD

No, not miffed at all. I was just thinking out loud in writing, to get others possible viewpoints, pro and con.

But it just isn't part of GTD, so i came to consider it off topic for this forum. I would have deleted my posts, but it doesn't appear possible.
I still have it all.

Coz