Using Bonsai, Cando and Pop! for GTD

carrdwight

Registered
Greetings,

I just posted a similar message on the other side of this forum, but I have been so satisfied with this set up that I thought I'd post a short description here. It is really just too simple to manage.

I have been using Bonsai, Cando and Pop! for almost a year and am very satisfied. I use Bonsai to set up projects under "life focus areas" and tasks and next actions as children of projects. All tasks are assigned context using Pop! to ensure standardization, e.g. @call, @office... and all NA's get linked to the palm todo.

Categories in Bonsai are "projects", "tasks", "NA", "successful outcome", "role", "focus area", "S/M project" and "projects in planning". Project and NA categories are color coded so I can filter on the two and see immediately which projects lack NA's.

Using Cando to view NA's, I can set a "view" to show items filtered on text, so I can view all items which contain @office or @home or @call to see NA's by context. This way, I just select a alreay defined "view" and whamo, all the items with a specific context are shown. I don't really use the categories in todo applications.

The only thing I really miss is having a way to print out my calendar with tasks, e.g. daytimer format, so I can do some creative on paper thinking, but I've posted that issue here many times looking for a solution to my printing problems but know one seems to have any suggestions that help me.

Hope this is helpful,
Dwight...

ameasha

Registered
Pop!?

How does Pop! fit into your solution here? I used to use it on my Handspring and have been trying to decide if it would still be helpful to install on my T3.

carrdwight

Registered
Mostly, Pop! give me a quick and easy way to stay consistant with prefixes. For tasks, I begin them with @.context, e.g. @.home, @.call, etc... for projects, I use the /p. prefix, e.g. /p.clean garage. Then in Cando, I can filter on /p. to see all projects or @. to see all tasks or @.call to see all calls.

Dwight...

ameasha

Registered
I like what you're saying here. Out of curiosity, how did you start using the prefixes this way as opposed to using the categories themselves? Is this a work around for the number of categories possible on a Palm?

carrdwight

Registered
I quit using categories to show context or anything primarily because it makes it easier to import/export data so going from one software package to another is much easier.

Also, without categories, it makes it possible to sort your task list and/or filter using one or more keywords.

Dwight...