Using GTD with Daylite for Mac

BarbaraA

Registered
Daylite is my app of choice for organizing my Mac-based business. It has a good project module that allows you to link contacts, tasks, emails and appointments to a project. I'm trying to use GTD within this system and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

I've created GTD-type categories (Office, Errands, Waiting For, etc.) and assigned them to my tasks. If I have a phone call on my task list it starts out as "Office". After I make the call I change the category to Waiting For if I left a message and need a call back.

I can group all the tasks on my list by category. Am I missing something or can it really be this simple? I'd love to hear from anyone else who has combined GTD with Daylite.

I really need to make this work because I have several employees who work virtually in a different time zone. It's really important that we have a system where we can all tell who is supposed to do what and when. Our business is growing and communication has become more complicated. If I don't get my own communications under control it's going to limit our growth. I've been listening to David's audios and studying the book, but I feel like I've got a long way to go.

Haven't yet been able to initiate the weekly review of all my lists, except for the project review meetings I have weekly with my staff. Oh, well, one step at a time. Your comments are most welcome.

policarpo

Registered
Have you thought about using a dedicated GTD app like OmniFocus for Task based stuff?

Couple questions:
. Is everyone in your organization using Daylite?
. Are you planning on using Delegation and Task Sharing features with a need to access them everywhere and at anytime?
. Are you willing to use an app which is designed solely for GTD instead of trying to retrofit GTD into Daylite?
. How important is Sharing and Collaboration to you in regards to GTD? Do you expect your team to use GTD or are you implementing it to make your job more manageable?

In the past I looked at Daylite but I found it too cumbersome to use for GTD.

I would honestly look at using a dedicated GTD app for your Tasks.

Have a look at any and all of the following:
Omnifocus
- Great for managing your own tasks
Nozbe
- built for GTD with a team
2Do
- iOS dedicated GTD app with some nice sharing features
Toodledo
- online GTD that is feature rich
Producteev
- team based GTD

LordCope

Registered
Hello!

BarbaraA;83433 said:
Daylite is my app of choice for organizing my Mac-based business. It has a good project module that allows you to link contacts, tasks, emails and appointments to a project. I'm trying to use GTD within this system and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

We're starting to use Daylite for our contacts and leads. It looks pretty capable.

I've created GTD-type categories (Office, Errands, Waiting For, etc.) and assigned them to my tasks. If I have a phone call on my task list it starts out as "Office". After I make the call I change the category to Waiting For if I left a message and need a call back.

I can group all the tasks on my list by category. Am I missing something or can it really be this simple?

OK - here's the story. You can ue *anything* to implement GTD as long as:

* You can create lists of commitments/projects
* You can create lists of next actions organised around the contexts in which you need to be to carry out the action
* You can collect inputs *really quickly* wherever you are, so there is no leak in the collection system
* You can be confident that you will have access to your action lists, so that your mind trusts that you will be reminded of the next action necesarry to move your project forward when you next have discretionary time
* You can store reminders of things that must be done by a certain time in a calendar-like system, which can remind you when you don't remember yourself

That's the core of it. If Daylite can do this, you can use it for GTD. That doesn't mean it's the best or the right choice - you may find that paper and pen are just as good.
I really need to make this work because I have several employees who work virtually in a different time zone. It's really important that we have a system where we can all tell who is supposed to do what and when.

Are you saying that you want your employees to implement GTD too? Do they want to? Have they had any training or read / listened to / watched any training materials?

Haven't yet been able to initiate the weekly review of all my lists, except for the project review meetings I have weekly with my staff. Oh, well, one step at a time. Your comments are most welcome.

The single most important discipline is the weekly review. If you let that slip, your system will fail you, you'll start storing things in your head, your stress levels will grow, and you'll start floundering. Trust me - I've failed at this enough times to know what it looks like. Get a 2 hour period blocked out, and protect it as the most important 2 hrs of your life.

S.

BarbaraA

Registered
Answers to your questions

First, thank you so much for all the good ideas. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Been out of town on business. Thought I would get an email when there was a reply but I must not have that set up right just yet.

policarpo;83598 said:
Have you thought about using a dedicated GTD app like OmniFocus for Task based stuff?

Couple questions:
---YES
. Are you planning on using Delegation and Task Sharing features with a need to access them everywhere and at anytime?
---I delegate tasks in Daylite and find that very useful. It's easy to see the status of a delegated task and to be notified when it's done.
. Are you willing to use an app which is designed solely for GTD instead of trying to retrofit GTD into Daylite?
---I'm open to this. I have not found a good way to use Daylite for all my lists and I'd like to keep my personal tasks outside of Daylite.
. How important is Sharing and Collaboration to you in regards to GTD? Do you expect your team to use GTD or are you implementing it to make your job more manageable? ---My employees are all better organized than I am! I'm not expecting them to use GTD but I sure would like for my admin assistant to learn it and help keep me on track with it.

Omnifocus
---I've looked at this. It looks like a steep learning curve, but also receives the most praise from GTD'ers.

Nozbe
2Do
Toodledo
Producteev
- team based GTD

Haven't looked at these others yet. What about Things? I have that and tried using it for a while. Seems pretty easy. I'll do more research. Have to find something that I will actually be able to use consistently to capture EVERYTHING business & personal. That means I need an iPhone version of a program that syncs with my office Mac. I do want to use software, not a paper system.

Thanks for your suggestions,

barbara

BarbaraA

Registered
Answers to your questions

First, thank you so much for all the good ideas. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Been out of town on business. Thought I would get an email when there was a reply but I must not have that set up right just yet.

policarpo;83598 said:

Couple questions:
---YES
---I delegate tasks in Daylite and find that very useful. It's easy to see the status of a delegated task and to be notified when it's done.
---I'm open to this. I have not found a good way to use Daylite for all my lists and I'd like to keep my personal tasks outside of Daylite.
. How important is Sharing and Collaboration to you in regards to GTD? Do you expect your team to use GTD or are you implementing it to make your job more manageable? ---My employees are all better organized than I am! I'm not expecting them to use GTD but I sure would like for my admin assistant to learn it and help keep me on track with it.

Omnifocus
---I've looked at this. It looks like a steep learning curve, but also receives the most praise from GTD'ers.

Nozbe
2Do
Toodledo
Producteev
- team based GTD

Haven't looked at these others yet. What about Things? I have that and tried using it for a while. Seems pretty easy. I'll do more research. Have to find something that I will actually be able to use consistently to capture EVERYTHING business & personal. That means I need an iPhone version of a program that syncs with my office Mac. I do want to use software, not a paper system.

Thanks for your suggestions,

barbara

BarbaraA

Registered
GDT & Daylite - Getting some clarity

LordCope;83641 said:
Hello!

We're starting to use Daylite for our contacts and leads. It looks pretty capable.

OK - here's the story. You can ue *anything* to implement GTD as long as:

* You can create lists of commitments/projects
---Possible but cumbersome in Daylite
* You can create lists of next actions organised around the contexts in which you need to be to carry out the action
---Also possible by putting tasks in category
* You can collect inputs *really quickly* wherever you are, so there is no leak in the collection system
---Not so good in Daylite. It has an iPhone app that is good for contacts and appointments, but not good for quickly capturing items.
* You can be confident that you will have access to your action lists, so that your mind trusts that you will be reminded of the next action necesarry to move your project forward when you next have discretionary time
---I still don't have a good handle on my action lists. I have way too many things to do and haven't learned how to make myself do what's really important first.
* You can store reminders of things that must be done by a certain time in a calendar-like system, which can remind you when you don't remember yourself
---Daylite can do this quite well.

That's the core of it. If Daylite can do this, you can use it for GTD. That doesn't mean it's the best or the right choice - you may find that paper and pen are just as good.

Are you saying that you want your employees to implement GTD too? Do they want to? Have they had any training or read / listened to / watched any training materials?
---Employees are doing fine. It's the boss that's in trouble!

The single most important discipline is the weekly review. If you let that slip, your system will fail you, you'll start storing things in your head, your stress levels will grow, and you'll start floundering. Trust me - I've failed at this enough times to know what it looks like. Get a 2 hour period blocked out, and protect it as the most important 2 hrs of your life.

S.

Thanks for the help. I'm not doing the weekly review yet because I still don't have all my lists in place. Daylite is a big help in the business because all we do is work on projects (interior design). The best thing about it is the ability to link tasks, contacts emails and appointments to a project so everything is in one place.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I need a GDT system separate from Daylite if I am ever to feel in control of my life again. I used to have a more balanced life--time for friends and fun and exercise. I want my life back!

I'm thinking about getting some GDT coaching, but I'd probably get more out of it if I get myself further down the path on my own. That means lists for everything, both personal and business. I used to be a lot better organized before there were 3 employees to supervise. My business can't grow any more until I conquer this mess!

When IS the right time to bring on a coach?