Using iPhone with GTD

akandiew

Registered
I just recently purchased my iPhone and would love to us it as my PDA for GTD. However, I don't see a task feature on it to modify it like I would Entourage. Does anyone have suggestions???

mmurray

Registered
There is also a vague suggestion that when Leopard comes the iPhone will get Tasks. Tasks are changing in Leopard and some people suggested this is why they got left out of the iPhone on its first release.

Michael

akandiew

Registered
iPhone and GTD

Thank you for the links and feed back. It looks like Leopard 10.5 which is scheduled for release on October 2007 will have a "Notes" and "To-Do List" feature embedded within the Mail application. I viewed the demo and it looks like it may allow the type of heirarchical sorting and linking needed in order to incorporate a GTD process. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

mmurray

Registered
akandiew;52145 said:
Thank you for the links and feed back. It looks like Leopard 10.5 which is scheduled for release on October 2007 will have a "Notes" and "To-Do List" feature embedded within the Mail application. I viewed the demo and it looks like it may allow the type of heirarchical sorting and linking needed in order to incorporate a GTD process. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If youre brave (foolish ???) you can hack your iPhone to put on external applications. At the moment they don't look very interesting.

http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/install-thirdparty-applications-on-your-iphone-295985.php

Michael

PS: I haven't got an iPhone and I am not sure I would try these if I did!

D

dlpasco

Hi,
The Mentat organizer lets you manage tasks ala GTD, and we have a dedicated iPhone interface that makes it easy to pull up and manage your tasks on the go.

The Mentat Personal service costs nothing, and provides you with a basic mechanism for task management via your iPhone and your web browser. The Mentat Pro service is $5/month and lets you track tasks in an unlimited number of different projects.

If you're interesting you can find out more about Mentat at http://mentat.brainmurmurs.com

mmurray

Registered
To my way of thinking the continuing gotcha with the iPhone is that the web based applications are exactly that -- you need to be on the web to do anything including looking at your data. Your data is not on the iPhone.

I think if you hack the phone you can install app's that save data to the phone but you are, of course, of in dangerous terrritory having voided your warranty. Apple are also suggesting hacks may break the phone permanently.

So good though wifi coverage is where I live I just don't like the idea of no being able to see my data because I can't connect. What do you do in a plane?

Note this is not true of iCal and the Apple applications on the iPhone neither is it a criticism of the people developing web based apps for the iPhone as they are just working with Apple's rules.

I don't have access to an iPhone (not out in Australia yet --- it takes awhile to get everything turned upside down I guess) so I would be happy to be proved wrong about this

Thanks - Michael