Video always starts at beginning?

Oogiem

Registered
I'm running into an odd situation. I was watching part of the 14 day challenge webinar, had to leave and so closed out my browser. Now when I try to get back in I cannot slide the start location to the spot where I stopped. I really don't want to watch the whole beginning over again.

I was pretty sure this used to work but I can't get any of the videos to allow me to jump ahead or go to a specific location at all.

Has something changed with how they are played back?

soccermad

Registered
I can't view it either ?

Seems to be a problem

The audio stops at 14 mins plus a bit and won't play any more ?

Steve

Oogiem;99013 said:
I'm running into an odd situation. I was watching part of the 14 day challenge webinar, had to leave and so closed out my browser. Now when I try to get back in I cannot slide the start location to the spot where I stopped. I really don't want to watch the whole beginning over again.

I was pretty sure this used to work but I can't get any of the videos to allow me to jump ahead or go to a specific location at all.

Has something changed with how they are played back?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Steve & Oogie:
Is this the video you are referring to? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing:
https://secure.davidco.com/connect/multimedia/video.php?titleid=441&trackid=1059

Oogie: you need to give the slider bar a few seconds (maybe 30) to load the file. You won't be able to forward until it loads. The bar will turn slightly grayer. Try that please and let me know if that works for you.

Steve: it plays correctly all of the way through for us. Can you tell us how you are accessing it? Computer? Browser? Mobile? And is it still happening?

Thanks!
Kelly

Oogiem

Registered
Yes that is the video.

I don't get a bar that shows progress at all anymore. No way to move it forward or anything.

Attached is a screen shot of the controls I have.

I used to be able to see a progress bar and to slide it forward and back as needed.

PS. I also ran into the 14 minute no more sound issue, I let it run all the way again and then the sound just stopped before the end of the webinar.

Attached files

Oogiem

Registered
Another screen shot

Here is a capture after I started it playing and let it go for a while

Attached files

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
OK, thanks for the detail. It's been escalated to IT team.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

In the meantime, the download or podcast versions should be OK.

soccermad

Registered
Hi Kellie

It's on the IPad on the web site I have an issue ?

kelstarrising;99062 said:
OK, thanks for the detail. It's been escalated to IT team.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

In the meantime, the download or podcast versions should be OK.

G

iOS Version Fixed; Working on Options for Browser Version

soccermad;99082 said:
It's on the IPad on the web site I have an issue ?

We detected and resolved an issue with the encoding of this particular video for use on iOS (iPad, iPhone and iPod) devices. It should play fine now on these devices. Also, owing to Quicktime/iOS use of HLS streaming technology, it is possible to scrub beyond what is currently loaded in the player, effectively jumping around anywhere in the video by moving the slider bar.

Unfortunately, the Flash version (used in most browsers) does not yet seem to be allowing this same functionality. It does seem to allow you to scrub within the video once already loaded (as indicated by the darker gray area). However, for a file of this size in Flash (64 minutes; 271 MB) most broadband connections will just be keeping pace with the video as streamed.

We are working on more efficient video delivery options as part of an upgrade to the underlying Connect video infrastructure, and should be rolling that out shortly. Meanwhile, downloading the file (only 64MB as an M4V) or using an iOS device should give you the option to jump around anywhere in the video. Thanks for your patience as we work to improve the playback experience across a wide range of devices and configurations.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
cyberscribe_ft;99207 said:
We detected and resolved ...

That's Robert Peake, generously saying "we" even though he did 99% of the work. We are fortunate that our software coding and poetry penning friend, who is the original architect of the GTD Connect site, has had some time available recently to work on projects for the David Allen Company.

G

Thanks for your Thanks

John Forrister;99208 said:
We are fortunate that our software coding and poetry penning friend, who is the original architect of the GTD Connect site, has had some time available recently to work on projects for the David Allen Company.

You, sir, are too kind. I will accept thanks only once I have thoroughly pummeled the Flash scrubbing and Android playback issues into the ground!

TesTeq

Registered
Great to hear that you are still around!

PeakePro;99207 said:
We detected and resolved...

Robert, great to hear that you are still around! I hope some day (but after UEFA EURO 2012 and London 2012 Olympics :) ) we will join forces to prepare something for Polish market!

Barb

Registered
Robert!

I still hear "Be kind to your future self" ringing in my ears...

How's London? How's your poetry life?