• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Wanted -1/2 3-ring binder 5.5 x 8.5

For a small 3-ring binder--specifically 1/2" ring size, and 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" paper, I have searched and only found one source, called Quincy Stationary. The Quincy Binder, is what you might call "adorable" but is cloth covered seemingly thin cardboard and very expensive. I don't think this will hold up very long as it will be carried about in a backpack, laptop bag, and family bag, and pulled out at work, the grocery, the hardware, the gym, the kitchen counter, etc.

I have found lots of sources for 1 or 2 inch binders but these are too thick and heavy.

Maybe I need to go to Circa afterall. Rather pricey but it might work.

All I want it for is:

quick capture

n/a lists not to exceed two pages each context (@phone, @home, @home office-general, @home office computer, @work, @errands)

printed checkoff list of daily, weekly, and monthly, and seasonal tasks.

active project list with 8-10 words of info for each

a two year pull out reference calendar

I will continue to use the Palm for date book, reference lists, contacts, and most at adgenda and waiting for lists (the later because I tend to build these while I am processing and reviewing and then work them in a batch with each person or entity).

Thanks in advance for any help.
 
I purchased one a year or two ago at OfficeMax. It was a Day Runner brand.

JSR
 
I use a 1/2 inch Circa Jr. sized notebook for GTD, similar to what you describe. It is used in conjection with a Palm Treo. See my post in the Alan Nelson thread.
 
I too am using a Dayrunner 3-ring 5.5" x 8.5" binder. Rings are 3/4" rather than 1/2". Found it at OfficeMax for under $20. Has pocket inside front cover. There's no place to attach a pad of paper to the back inside cover, but if you're careful, you can cut a horizontal slot there, maybe about 2" from the top, and slip in a 5"x8" pad.
 
5x8 Binder

I have a Circa 5x8 purple leather binder. (Eggplant I think.) I use it more than anything else I have tried and I have tried everything.. Its beautiful and distinctive so I don't forget it and I want to use it. It holds everything I need but no more.Its easy to carry. I like the Levenger paper, the dividers and the two year foldout calendar. Its great quality. You can Circa punch inserts or use a Circa fold over plastic insert that holds important 8X12 so that you can see both sides.
That said everything that everyone suggested is also appropriate. I use Circa because it makes me want to use it and therefore for me its worth the $$$. I know other very productive paper users who feel its a waste of money.
Mardo
 
5/8" rings?

Jamie Elis;56669 said:
For a small 3-ring binder--specifically 1/2" ring size, and 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" paper, I have searched and only found one source, called Quincy Stationery.
You might have luck finding planner binders like this with 5/8" rings. Then again, you may not -- I'm idly keeping my eyes open for a similar binder and not having much luck.

In the meantime I'm using a plan 1" binder I bought at my local office supply megastore.
 
Jamie Elis;56669 said:
For a small 3-ring binder--specifically 1/2" ring size, and 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" paper, I have searched and only found one source, called Quincy Stationary.

I have found a couple (well, they were probably 5/8"), but unfortunately I can't remember exactly where, other than it was through Google.

Jamie Elis;56669 said:
I have found lots of sources for 1 or 2 inch binders but these are too thick and heavy.

Find anything for 1.25 - 1.5 inches? My personal quest is for something in that range. Everything I have found in that range appears to be some big leather six-ring monstrosity. What I'd really like is a simple, stiff, solid plastic (vice vinyl-covered cardboard) binder.

Jamie Elis;56669 said:
Maybe I need to go to Circa afterall. Rather pricey but it might work.

I eventually decided that Circa Just Isn't Worth It, and am in the process of converting.
 
Top