Weeding out and SIMPLIFY Reference Folder

validatelife

Registered
BigStory;58471 said:
Why don't you drag all of it into a folder or section of your hardrive or onto a portable drive. Then, everytime you go looking for something you really want, add THAT file/information to your working system labelled and stored in the format you desire. (Alternatively, you could give yourself 30 minutes each week to clean up the pile - but that seems to me more than it practically requires.)

Over time, you will build a clean reference system. You could keep up this process forever, or at some point you could make the remaining sentimental things that your never look at into a filing project, then junk what is left and move on.

Best Wishes,
Gordon

Hhmm..simple, intuitive, great advice. I think I'll actually do that. In trying to devise complex algorithms for sorting reference material or getting overly complex in ensuring it's up-to-date and not bloated, your system makes a lot of sense. The "unearth it if you use it approach" that's great. Awesome. Of course, I think I've done a variation of that and remember it being a pain that decreased productivity having to attach the computer to external hd whenever I needed an important file, but right now the other extrem (Excess files) is causing problems so I'll give "unearth it if you use it" and see how that goes. Ockam's razor. simple solution =best.

kewms

Registered
validatelife;58510 said:
On this note, I'm questioning the worth of gtd altogtehr. At first it was a thrill because it create the appearance of massive organization, and it successful does that, I'm massively organized, but I still don't do the things in the system. Maybe putting something on multiple lists causes me to inflate the value of the simple task so it doesn't get done, but I still don't find myself getting things done with gtd. The problem is the system or more likely how much value I assign to things I put into the system. Another problem is technical barriers and slowness. slow computer or other obstacles decrease productivity. Maybe I have WWAAAYYY too much on plate, as well

No system on earth will add a single minute to your day, or force you to do any task. GTD can tell you what your commitments are; the rest is up to you.

Katherine

vatark

Registered
validatelife;58510 said:
... but I still don't do the things in the system.
I recognise this symptom. I have it myself. I think there are two reasons, at least, and these are:

You are spending too much time worrying about the system - looking for the perfect system - and not enough time just doing the work; and

You are almost as good at procrastinating as I am: you look at the tasks on your lists but choose to do something else.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what system you use, electronic or manual, if you don't apply discipline to it, it won't work. As a colleague of mine says: JFDI! Works every time.

JFDI = Just F-fill in own adjective beginning with 'f'- Do It! :cool:

Day Owl

Registered
"Less is more."
(attributed to Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe)

"Omit needless words."
(William Strunk, quoted by E. B. White)

sdann

Registered
vatark;58515 said:
JFDI = Just F-fill in own adjective beginning with 'f'- Do It! :cool:

Perhaps its because I saw it here, but I have a posted sign that says JFDI. One of my main goals was to just do it and not think about it too much. I'm getting better and better at JFDI'ing. Not only is it through understanding what is on my plate, but seeing how it relates to my goals and objectives and also continuously improving my ability to JFDI.

Validate, I think what the others say here makes sense. Overwhelm will hit you occasionally, so think of simplifying. Put less on your current project list, simplify your projects (I make mine smaller projects, so I feel like I accomplish more), and clarify your next actions. I'm not saying don't have complex projects, because I know what those are, but just that you may want to simplify or clarify them more. Then JFDI.

Brent

Registered
Agreed with much of the advice here.

I've consistently increased my productivity as I've decreased my number of active Projects. Because I actually do them.

I'm now uncomfortable with a Projects list over 7 items long. I figure I can always add more from my Someday/Maybe list later if I accomplish a few of these 7, so why add more now?