Weekly Review Challenge (February 2015)

Barb

Registered
#3 for February

I finished this yesterday and forgot to post.

What I found this time: You know, I have several projects that are related in some way and even the names are similar. Rather than keep them separated, I combined them into a larger project with a different, all-encompassing title. Will have to see how that works.

MarkRust

Registered
Whew - Made it through a WR of my personal system! Not perfect, but lists were cleaned up, added to, and looked at.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the main computer for my church, dealing with normal life stuff, and then two days ago the refrigerator quit (11 years old, looks like the compressor isn't compressing :) ). Time for some more projects.

IQtell.com has a nice weekly review module that lets you customize the steps you want to see and check them off as you complete them.

SiobhanBR

Registered
WR #3

What is that saying about working your system when you have the flu? I have been down and out and all over the place the last couple of weeks. I thought I was going to escape this winter without getting sick but apparently not... I was able to keep most of the balls moving last week and did a quick weekly review of just the basics. Today I did a much better review but I'm still really playing catch up. I have some very important tasks identified and hope to get them done this afternoon. That will give me some energy going into the weekend, I hope.

The most valuable parts of GTD when you are overwhelmed and under-productive? Collection and Someday Maybe. I know that even when I cannot think straight that I have collected whatever it is and I can give my attention to it later when my brain is clearer. And being able to throw things onto SomedayMaybe makes it much easier to see what I really should be working on when time is very short. Although I also have to say that having a @Braindead context is useful too. The one day my brain was so fuzzy (before I realized I should be home resting) but I still managed to get quite a few tasks done. They may not have been the most important ones but there was no way to do those that required that much thinking, so at least I was useful!

Jenn

Registered
WR # 3 for February (#8 for 2015)

It's been just 3 days since my last review but I really wanted to get back to my Friday schedule. Despite just 3 days, a lot has happened and there was quite an In Box to clear, actions to mark off and many to follow up on this coming Monday.

A day that started with a vision of a lot of uninterrupted work time really feel apart quickly. The first meeting ran long and then there was a crowd outside my door with a crisis we needed to manage. By the time I had dinner and settled in to do some solid work there wasn't much time left! Argh!

At least I know what I need to complete this weekend - not happy to have to do that but it's better than thinking it all needs to get done!

Hrlakat

Registered
WR #4 February (8 of 52)

Did my WR a day early, as I had a lot of travel time today getting back to work overseas. Had more time for the get creative and courageous part, so back up to 740 action items with 120 projects. It was nice really spending time in the creative/courageous space - got some depth to some of my juicer projects defined, so travel time well spent.

What I noticed this WR is that there are buckets of action items that aren't going to get touched till April (back from these two trips). I didn't take the time today to put them on hold by action item - seems better to put the whole project they support on hold (someday/maybe). Something to do over the next week.

Hope you guys have a great week!
Heather

Oogiem

Registered
WR#4 Done

Picked up a bunch of new projects this week. Some deadlines are coming up with farm stuff so I had to activate and start working on almost 20 major new projects. I also discovered that I have a bunch that are lacking just one or 2 actions to finish so I flagged them all. I rarely use flags but in this case I'm going to work on the flagged projects tomorrow and see if I can clear a bunch of them out.

I did get a bit creative, and planned a few projects. They are on hold but I've found that if I have thoughts and notes, even if I don't yet have time to work on the project right now, I won't get it off my mind unless I get them down and saved. So I tend to add them as notes either in OF as project notes or in DEVONThink as a note about each potential project.

I also realized that as part of the comptuer clean-up I really need to do the same level of delete old stuff, rename and re-file in my DEVONThink databases as I am doing on my computers.

Still worried abotu snow and one big part was creating a project toplan for the worst case of no water and very little grass. That spawned a bunch of projects to rank sheep and se if I can get some sold so more advertising and more promotion of the flock.

Tired, had a long day today so off now to get some dinner.

SiobhanBR

Registered
WR #4 Complete

This morning's review went great, with only one interruption. I was able to get through my very long next action and project lists. A few I was able to mark as done but I added more than I marked off, so still not going in the right direction. I have a lot of things languishing on my lists but I review them every week and I still have to do them. There is a lot changing right now with everything I do so sometimes getting the actual work done falls to the bottom of the list. I would love to take a day and just start checking off the little things. I've been toying with adding a

MarkRust

Registered
WR #2 done - That's 2 in 2 weeks - I'm on a roll :D

I'm still in the middle of a lot of stuff, but I'm pretty clear on what needs done next.

Oogiem

Registered
WR # 5

Trying to get back in my groove of finishing weekly review on Saturday and this time I made it so it's actually a 5th for me this month.

My biggest issue is the drag resulting from upgrading my computer system and being forced into upgrading Omnifocus and the total mess it has made of my previously great workflow.

Simple things like processing my OF inbox take 3-4 times as long in OF2 as they did in OF1.

I find myself going back to OF1 to try to finish stuff and then runing into some issues with synchronization.

We are finally getting much needed snow and it's cold again, also much needed as the fruit was starting to push out buds and it's WAY too early. Gearing up for the mad rush of spring sheep work.

Barb

Registered
MarkRust said:
WR #2 done - That's 2 in 2 weeks - I'm on a roll :D

I'm still in the middle of a lot of stuff, but I'm pretty clear on what needs done next.

Good for you, Mark!

Barb

Registered
SiobhanBR said:
WR #4 Complete

Because I had missed a few solid reviews due to being sick and swamped, I didn't realize bookclub was upon me and I had not even started reading the book. Everyone commented that was very unlike me and I agree! I must never skip Calendar review!

Great to hear you're feeling better. You'll be on the golf course soon enough!

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
I missed my WR for Feb 23 and so far haven't completed Mar 2 - life is a wee bit out of control right now as various deadlines come due and we move my mother-in-law here from a different city. My Inboxes runneth over, unprocessed...

I'm posting here anyway, because even though it is tempting to wallow in woe, having broken my streak of 7 weekly reviews completed in 2015, I am very grateful that my GTD system is still keeping me sane.

I am reviewing my lists when I can, re-negotiating and deferring mercilessly, leveraging my calendar for must-do's and managing to ensure the most important items don't fall through the cracks. So I figure THAT is a GTD success worth sharing! :)

CassRussell

Registered
#2 Feb (#3 for year) - completed Sunday 22 Feb

It was yucky - had been 3 weeks since my last one and the 'scuzz' factor was getting too high. I'd been out of the office most of the previous week and had a lot of emails to process which I did the day before I did the review.

I did a thorough review of my Active Projects this time - that felt good. I noticed I had lots of single actions recorded separately rather than in the project ... was good to clear that up.

Other than that I'm hoping to have a better report card for the March challenge.