Weekly Review - separate or together for home and office

Do you a weekly review at home and work separately or combined?

• Separately

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Combined

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Beth Van Gelder

Registered
Hi,

I am working on re-establishing my GTD Weekly Review. One of the things I have struggled with over the past few years was how to do a weekly review for all of my responsibilities at work and running a household. I work outside the home full time, and was trying to figure out if I should be doing one review that covers my whole universe or if I should set aside time at home and work to do them separately. The challenge I run into is that I don't have everything I need to do a fully weekly review in either place to truly cover my whole universe. Anyone have any tips, ideas, insights?

Oogiem

Registered
The challenge I run into is that I don't have everything I need to do a fully weekly review in either place to truly cover my whole universe.
Thi sis the key point to me. I would plan on 2 separate reviews so that the tools you need for each one are available.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
I know David Allen advocates a single GTD system, and therefore a single Weekly Review. I see how it would work for one who is self-employed, who has freedom about the tools they use and how they spend their days, but it doesn't work for me.

As a salaried employee I work in a place of my employer's choosing for set hours every week - this I manage in one system. As an individual / mom / wife / entrepreneur I 'work' in a time and place of my own choosing - endlessly ;) and all of this I manage in a separate system.

It does mean there is some duplication - medical appointments, for example, must be entered into 2 calendars. If I need to remember to make a personal phone call while at the office, I email myself at my work email address so I will process it when I get to the office. The separate does free me up to focus on the context (home or office) that I am in, which is of course the major benefit of GTD.

The exception is higher horizons, where there is more integration. I have separate Areas of Focus at home and office, but for higher levels I have only a single set.

acc.mcpherson

Registered
I find doing a weekly review where it's quiet and away from the world works best for me - so it's on Saturday mornings at my favorite coffee shop. I have everything I need on my computer and bullet journal. Going to a neutral spot keeps me on task because the weekly review could drag on for hours if I let it. However, I do my project reviews at the office where my paper files live.