Weekly Review Webinar - Thanks!

larea

Registered
Well I did my second Weekly Review today - using the Weekly Review webinar as an encourager. This is probably actually my first FULL review - did a work one a few weeks ago but only reviewed work items and ignored home - at that time I was not very far along in collecting at home, and I was at the office.

It took me a little over 4 hours to get through it. I would pause the webinar whenever the 5 minutes were up and I wasn't done. A few things I could do in the time allotted, and some just went a little over. And for some steps I had to spend another hour or so. I think I took an extra hour for processing some stuff I had and then the rest of my extra time was mostly reviewing tasks and projects. I did do some revisions and reorganizing of my lists while I was looking at them which will hopefully make them more usable.

I think my mind must be a LITTLE emptier - last mindsweep I had done resulted in over 100 items, this one was only about 23.

What an ordeal! I feel way better now that it's done, but it was still an ordeal. :rolleyes: BUT, it would have been much more of an ordeal without the webinar......so I am very very grateful for the help.

Being able to listen to some extra coaching for each section was a lot of help as I didn't have to think about what was next and plus during a review is a really good time to hear the various tips for how to do it better.

I REALLY REALLY hope it is going to get easier. So - my goal for the next week is to work really hard because if I have less tasks the weekly review will go faster! You think?

Barb

Registered
Long time Weekly Reviewer

First of all, GOOD FOR YOU for tackling the big hairy goal! And "it won't get easier" until you make some changes in your processes. If you have some extra money to spend, you may want to check out the Weekly Review CD set Davidco sells...it's excellent.

Here are a few tips that seem to help most everyone:

• Try getting in to empty the day before your weekly review
  • Don't use the WR to play "catch up"; if you have a big backlog from the week, you probably aren't allowing yourself enough time to process and define your work each day
  • Don't consider a backlog of unprocessed items (things you've never gone through) during your WR; schedule another time to tackle those things
  • If you find one step of the WR is bogging you down, schedule another time to do that step. Detailed project planning is a great example of something that can be scheduled elsewhere in the week.

It really is terrific that you got through it, though. I just think, for most people, a 4-hour weekly review is going to repel you so much you'll not do it in the long run. And let's face it--how many of us really HAVE 4 hours a week for this?

Keep us posted on your progress!

larea

Registered
Thanks for the input. I have the weekly review CDs and need to give them a listen.

I am still debating about the home/work thing - but having 2 a week does not appeal to me at all. Maybe I should alternate?

Also I am thinking if the next one doesn't go faster, I will split it into parts.

I think it should get quicker over time. (and about 1 hour probably was catch up) - some of the excess time was doing a little tinkering with my projects and task lists - I think I will get happier with the lists and get them more workable with my style as I go along.

If not I can always split it into 2 days I guess????

Barb

Registered
Splitting

lareaarnett;74159 said:
Thanks for the input. I have the weekly review CDs and need to give them a listen.

I am still debating about the home/work thing - but having 2 a week does not appeal to me at all. Maybe I should alternate?

Also I am thinking if the next one doesn't go faster, I will split it into parts.

I think it should get quicker over time. (and about 1 hour probably was catch up) - some of the excess time was doing a little tinkering with my projects and task lists - I think I will get happier with the lists and get them more workable with my style as I go along.

If not I can always split it into 2 days I guess????

I've been getting my "ins to empty" the day before my weekly review for many years. I found, for me, that made me actually look forward to doing the WR...as well as took time out of the process. I also find that I need to block time to look at my "higher levels" outside of the WR. I just don't focus well on them if I try to do it while I'm focusing on the runway and projects levels.

You'll find what works for you...but listen to that great cd set for sure!!