Weekly Reviews at office or on plane

ArcCaster

Registered
Good morning,

I am almost through David's Guided Weekly Review. One question is distracting my attention, so I think I will post it:

David mentions doing weekly reviews on an airplane. My question -- is there advance prep that goes into setting up for an airplane? How does the airplane review differ from one done in an office? Or, over time, do you modify your GTD practices so that it is possible to do a weekly review spontaneously, without advance prep, anywhere you are?

Thanks,
Rob

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
Plane, Train

I personally do lots of weekly review in the train during my (rather large) commute.

For me, it's mostly the change of scenery. I print my lists, my calender (1 month back and
1 month forward), drop the contents of my in-basket into travel folder and take some blank
paper with me. Without my office phone, my computer, my co-workers and without the
"work work work" vibe of the office, I'm able to take a step back and do my review. Updating
my actual digital system with what I've done in the train becomes a "first thing the next day"
calendar item.

The only thing you basically need to do a weekly review is your system (printed, or digital
through a laptop, phone or tablet), relevant file folders (e.g. IN), some paper and some time.

How's your system organized? Digital? What's missing and holding you back to do a weekly review
anywhere you want?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
ArcCaster;108745 said:
David mentions doing weekly reviews on an airplane. My question -- is there advance prep that goes into setting up for an airplane? How does the airplane review differ from one done in an office? Or, over time, do you modify your GTD practices so that it is possible to do a weekly review spontaneously, without advance prep, anywhere you are?

Hi Rob. When I traveled extensively, I often did my Reviews on planes, because it was a long block of uninterrupted time. The only thing I needed was my physical In folder, something to collect trash (like the seat pocket in front of me), my laptop (where all of my lists and calendar live), a physical @Actions folder, and a physical Out folder. The nice thing about doing it on the plane was that I couldn't get distracted by much doing--especially if it required an internet connection. I couldn't go do a quick web search on something, or handle that one email that just came in. Now, of course, wifi on planes is more available, so that luxury of no web access and no new input coming in is gone. But I still think it can be a nice way to do Reviews, to put yourself in a new environment where you may think about and see things differently, whether it be a plane, or a coffee shop, or your backyard. The Slice of GTD Life I did with Barb and Dena talked about creative places to do the Review, for that reason. Speaking of, I will be reaching out to you soon about doing Slice of GTD Life. I'd love to hear your story!

Barb

Registered
Yay!

kelstarrising;108752 said:
Speaking of, I will be reaching out to you soon about doing Slice of GTD Life. I'd love to hear your story!

Rob will be a great Slice O'Lifer! Don't be nervous, Rob...Kelly makes it really easy. :D