What does your desk look like....

BigStory

Registered
Dawn mentioned something I clicked into a while back. She says she "uses her planner for everything." What I realized was that DA uses his Palm as a dashboard, a reference point with a broad overview of his whole "game." He doesn't really "work" from the Palm, just uses it as a cue for what is to happen next.

Arolq, could I suggest that you might be using your desk as your cueing device for what needs to be done. If that is true, then the only way to get a clean desk is to replace that "trusted system" with a different one. One that you can put away and relax about :) when work is over.

Either way, you have to have a way of reminding yourself what needs to be done (Projects list) and how to pick up where you left off (NA's list). It may be your desk (or on your desk), but it doesn't have to be.

Gordon

A

airolg

Bought some...

kewms said:
There's nothing wrong with writing things on scraps of paper, provided you can keep track of the scraps of paper. What if they were post-it notes instead, which you could stick to the inside of the appropriate project folder? And what if the project folders were color-coded to help the ones you are actually using stand out?

What about making portable work surfaces for yourself?

Same idea for your computer. You can get software to create as many virtual screens as you need. Put all the windows for one project on one screen, and flip between them as needed.

Katherine

Thanks, Katherine, you always have such great ideas--I read all of your posts. You are correct, I, personally, must have tools that I enjoy or they just sit, get buried or junked in the basement.

There is no way I'm going to keep track of my scraps of paper--I've tried, it's just not going to happen. So I took your idea and I bought some colorful lined (didn't like the colors of the blank ones!) Post-it notes about 3x4 and I'm loving them. Now, to have the discipline to put them in folders. Which brings me to the fact that I don't have any "project" folders...did I miss a step? I never really finished the book, I just jumped right in during the collecting chapter. Duh!!! :lol:

I've found my tiered stand to use for my folders, so maybe the ease of seeing them all at once and using less surface space will help me. It shouldn't be too hard to put them back and take them out again (crossing fingers as I say this), since I wouldn't have to open a drawer first (way too much work). :rolleyes:

I bought colored folders when I first started and used them for my 43 folders (nothing has ever been put in any of them, unfortunately--I'd have to open a drawer first--obviously, that's an issue of mine) so I can use the leftovers for my project folders. I do have folders for reference stuff, like paid bills, each kid has a folder, forms that I use, etc. I do file these things as I have actually developed this "good" habit since starting GTD.

I like your portable workspace idea, but since I have all these colorful folders left over, I'm going to clear a space (maybe I'll find my GTD workflow diagram--I've printed it twice) large enough for a stack of "open" folders (they need to be open, because I know I won't take the time to open them first and they will just get buried!). So, instead of just laying something just anywhere, I'm going to put it in an open folder, close it, label it (if it is not a temporary folder), file it, pile it, put it in my tiered stand or one of my in or pending trays. Maybe this will help me to be able to pile things so that it looks neater which will motivate me...I hope!

About my computer...I found, a long time ago, that my computer just didn't have enough "surface area" for the way I work (just like the paper trap I'm currently in). I had to find a solution, (my solution for the physical trap was to just buy more tables from Ikea), so I networked two computers. One computer has dual monitors and the other one has a triple monitor setup. So I have five screens up at all times (and seven tables). It's the only way I could have my clutter, albeit not physical clutter and work, too! Of course, my office looks like a surveillance command station right after a hurricane.

If I can get the paper problem solved like I've done with my computers, then I guess I could sell all those extra tables that I bought from Ikea that I used to spread out my work, right? ;)

Thanks so much for the great ideas and for letting me brainstorm out loud. I'll keep you posted.

eowyn

Registered
--I'd have to open a drawer first----obviously, that's an issue of mine) so I can use the leftovers for my project folders. I do have folders for reference stuff, like paid bills, each kid has a folder, forms that I use, etc.

This reminded me that I used to regularly have a pile of stuff that I had processed but hadn't yet put into the files. I used to have separate files for bills, for bank statements, for receipts that I would keep, so on....

Finally, one day the light-bulb went on - I realised that I only occassionaly looked up any thing. I bought a box (that takes A4 paper quite nicely), and now a lot of stuff gets processed, and popped straight into the (open) box beside my desk.

The box gets emptied (and put in single folder) once a year.

On the occassions when I do want to look up something, I know where it is, and overall it takes far less effort to flick through the many items in the box, than it did to file them separetly in the first place.

Some things do get filed into specific folders - anything that I will have to give directly to the accountant at tax time for example.

Regards
eowyn