What habits or routines do you have in your GTD practice?

Sarahsuccess

Registered
For a long time, I thought if I had the perfect list manager, then my GTD practice and productivity would be good to go.
I now realize that the list manager is one component of GTD and I'm trying to incorporate all five phases.
I think it is the habits, routines and practices for implementing GTD that make it successful.
I suppose a really short summary of the habits for implementing GTD would be: 1. capture (what's on your mind into a trusted system), 2. clarify (whether or not each item is actionable and what the next action is), 3. organize, 4. review, and 5. do.
Can you please share more details of habits and routines that you have implemented in your GTD practice that help the process flow and help you to be more productive?
(Thank you #cfoley for your reply on a different thread about it's really the habits that make the system)

People make it too complicated. They are worried more about the system than actually getting things done. They also like to have every next action down for a project, instead of just the next action in context.

First, I am not dogmatic about any of the habits. I don't capture in the shower or when driving. Sometimes my inbox remains full for a couple of days. Often my weekly review is late or skipped entirely. This is OK. I still get a load of benefit from GTD. I am also human, so any system that is going to be useful to me has to be robust to imperfect execution.

For me, the two key habits are:

- capture
- process

Other habits I have incorporated are

- startup routine
- Friday morning weekly review
- natural planning
- choosing work in the moment

Below are things that surprised me about these habits.

Capture means that I never forget about a commitment that I have made to someone else.

Process combines Clarify and Organise. The Organise phase implies all the tools. You can't organise a next action without a list manager. You can't file something without a reference system.

My startup routine takes less than two minutes and makes me aware of the hard landscape for the day: Check my calendar, then glance at my tickler for the day.

Part of my Weekly Review is moving projects to and from Someday/Maybe. I aim for double the amount of active projects I think I can work on. This gives me plenty choice without my lists being too long. It also means that S/M items have a real chance of being activated since I actively go there every week hoping to be able to activate several items.

I am regularly astounded at the level of creativity and detail that using the Natural Planning Model model brings out in me. This is never clearer than when returning to a project that was put on hold. I usually can't believe it was me who did all that great work and thinking.

The Four Criteria Model for Choosing Work in the Moment frees me from thinking I have to always work on the highest priority item. Following it loosely allows me to choose items based on time or energy available but following it strictly means I can be really confident I am doing the right thing, even when something else is more important or urgent.

For a long time, I thought if I had the perfect list manager, then my GTD practice and productivity would be good to go.

I mean you're not wrong. There is something to be said for using the most efficient tool for the job. However, I digress.

Can you please share more details of habits and routines that you have implemented in your GTD practice that help the process flow and help you to be more productive?

I don't know if I have any habits (outside of GTD) that "process flow" since I am a bit dubious of getting such tunnel vision most of the time. However, there are some habits that I find help me relax and feel in control of my world. Maybe not "more productive" or standard GTD but certainly help.

• Check my calendars the night before and the very first thing the next morning. Helps me know where to be when the day starts and if anything has changed since last night.
  • Take a full lunch break and completely step away from work. Getting my mind off of work, even for an hour, really helps improve my effectiveness
  • Take a 5 minute break every 1 or 2 hours. Getting up an walking around for a few minutes to go get a glass of water, cup of coffee, restroom, text a friend, or just stare out my window helps keep my relaxed and energized.
  • Walk outside about every day or so for at least 30 minutes. Getting fresh air, sunshine, and a change of scenery has been shown to improve mood and keep a mind sharp.
  • Try to remind myself, especially on tougher days, that I have $86,400 to spend everyday that I cannot save or bank. If I waste $10 (or spend $1,800 on crap) that doesn't mean the rest is worthless. (Hint: 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours = 86,400 seconds/day).

Again, maybe not the most actionable or "productive" habits per se but sometimes it's all about what you're not doing then what you are doing.

Like @cfoley mentioned, I let a lot of stuff slide in my GTD system too: inbox can be go unprocessed for a few days, weekly review is skipped, I leave a task/project without a next action for a while, I don't capture something as I think of it because it's just not quite there yet or practical at the time, etc.

Hope that helps.

I now realize that the list manager is one component of GTD and I'm trying to incorporate all five phases.
I think it is the habits, routines and practices for implementing GTD that make it successful.
I suppose a really short summary of the habits for implementing GTD would be: 1. capture (what's on your mind into a trusted system), 2. clarify (whether or not each item is actionable and what the next action is), 3. organize, 4. review, and 5. do.
(Thank you #cfoley for your reply on a different thread about it's really the habits that make the system)
A great map is never the true landscape: I’ve found that my GTD system—no matter how well-organized—doesn’t always guarantee effective action in the real world. The system is a guide, but the real value comes from how I translate that guidance into daily actions. It’s essential to remember that while my tools and lists help orient, they’re only as good as my ability to act on them in the moment.

Daily Mini Reviews: Each morning, I do a quick review of my calendar (IOS) and Today’s view in Todoist mobile app. This includes not only checking for scheduled tasks but also affirmations and expressions of gratitude. This practice sets the tone for my day and ensures I’m mentally aligned with today. It’s a small ritual, but it makes a big difference in keeping me grounded and focused.

Zero Tolerance for Execution on Delegated Tasks: One habit I’ve cultivated is a strict adherence to following through on delegated tasks. Once something is handed off, I make it a point to track its progress and ensure it’s executed correctly. This has not only improved my delegation skills but also reinforced my trust in the system.

There are so many habits involved in an expert GTD practice, and I think which ones you want to work on depends on which part of the process you want to work on.

In my case currently, I would say the area I want to develop is "doing", so the habit I'm cultivating is checking my relevant next-actions lists whenever I have discretionary time - so that I can decide what's the appropriate action to take in that time (I may then choose to do a next-action written in my system, or attend to something that has just grabbed my attention, or I might simply decide to relax e.g. by watching a film or reading a book).

Prior to this, there have been three habits that have really helped my get the capture, clarify, organise and review pieces to a good place: (1) always writing down useful thoughts and input into my capture device; (2) processing "in" to zero at least every 3 days; (3) doing my weekly review.

Morning routine
  1. Get coffee
  2. Check weather and new (30 minutes max)
  3. Review Calendar
  4. Review all my next action lists
  5. Morning Farm chores which varies by season but always includes checking all the sheep
Then I can work on the things I feel are most important to work on based on my review of my next acton lists.

During logical breaks I review my lists again as things change during the day.

The Organise phase implies all the tools. You can't organise a next action without a list manager. You can't file something without a reference system.

Yes!!! That is why I've been having so much trouble. No space and no structure and no tools. I need to back up and first put all the tools in place before I can move ahead. I'm so grateful to have finally realized this!

Take a 5 minute break every 1 or 2 hours. Getting up an walking around for a few minutes to go get a glass of water, cup of coffee, restroom, text a friend, or just stare out my window helps keep my relaxed and energized.
I think Pomodoro is as necessary as an inbox, calendar and list manager.