What is best Contact Management Software for GTD?

A

Anonymous

I am in the real estate business and have to use a contact management software program to keep track of my leads and clients. I am curious to know which of them - Goldmine, ACT, Maximizer etc. - everyone is using to keep track of their business contacts, and also are they using the same program to implement the day to day actions and lists etc. associated with GTD.

Paul Skikne - Owner
Montana Avenue Realty
Santa Monica, CA

A

Anonymous

zero replies

Does zero replies to my intitial post mean that nobody is using contact management software in this forum? Just curious, as I would really like to not have to use 3 or 4 separate programs to stay organized and keep track of my clients. Also, is anyone using Outlook to keep track of their contacts/sales leads? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Act use

I use it but only for contact reference/history purposes. I believe David Allen Co. uses it in the same limited manner also. Act is very easy to record info into --F9 opens the notepad for a contact and cntrlH lets you specify a finished to-do meeting or call if you wish.

It takes a little extra time to record the info after the fact --but the retrieval benefits are worth it. Also --the ability to attach an email to a contact record is great also.

Act doesn't allow for un-dated to-do's and this is very difficult for doing GTD. The lack of ability to view tasks by context doesn't help either.

hope that helps a little

Paul

H

helenjc

Paul
I've used outlook for a client who is in real estate to set up a database which then synchronises to her nokia 9210 communicator.
I've added some extra fields in the telephone view for leads eg price range, and memory jogger notes - we aren't yet using GTD in her office although I would like to slowly move her there - have been doing a new website - but I can see big potential for the realty business to take gtd on board as a way of life!

cheers
Helen

A

Anonymous

Re: Act use

paulv said:
I use it but only for contact reference/history purposes. I believe David Allen Co. uses it in the same limited manner also. Act is very easy to record info into --F9 opens the notepad for a contact and cntrlH lets you specify a finished to-do meeting or call if you wish.

It takes a little extra time to record the info after the fact --but the retrieval benefits are worth it. Also --the ability to attach an email to a contact record is great also.

Act doesn't allow for un-dated to-do's and this is very difficult for doing GTD. The lack of ability to view tasks by context doesn't help either.

hope that helps a little

Paul

Agendus for Windows and Palm have both undated todos and basic contact management, similar to a less powerful Act.

Kinda the best of both worlds

A

Anonymous

agendus for windows

Yes, I'm a agendus desktop user myself (life balance also)

I just use Act for entries similar to Outlook journal stuff. Histories and events that are people related that I might need in future. Act! is the best way I've found for building a bullet proof record that's easily retrievable. I just look up the name --hit F9 to open the notepad on that contact record and type away. Since they're auto date and time stamped it makes it nice. The contact notes on agendus are limited to the palm note limit etc. so a running history only goes so long. Just had a contact respond about something that happened over a year ago--so the notes came in handy :D

Paul