What is the most similar replacement for the NetCentrics GTD Add-in?

texastone

Registered
I have been using the NetCentrics Add-in for many years. I just saw that it will no longer be supported for new machines. I would like to find a new tool that closely mimics its functionality and layout with Outlook. Can anyone recommend a particular solution?

mcogilvie

Registered
The problem with outlook is that Microsoft never took the todo list functionality seriously, and has failed to port it to newer, popular platforms such as the iPhone. To be fair, there are non-trivial technical issues. However, this in turn means that the market for such an add-in is limited, because few users are pc-only. Microsoft's acquisition of Wunderlist reflects their need for a cross-platform todo list. The future is uncertain, but I would look at Wunderlist. Davidco has a setup guide for Wunderlist coming soon.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Netcentrics is actually built off of our GTD & Outlook Setup Guide (https://gtdconnect.com/store/product.php?productid=16997&cat=263&page=). So you could mimic the setup just by following the Guide. You just won't have the cool features that Netcentrics adds like linking and seeing actions by project.

Yes, Wunderlist is a great option, although it is only a list manager. So it will only manage your project, next action, and reference lists. You'll still need tools outside Wunderlist to manage your email and calendar. That said, Wunderlist is a great one to consider. I would seriously consider moving to it myself if I didn't love Evernote so much!

As for the feature of linking projects to actions, like Netcentrics, there are only two tools I know of that will come close to that:
eProductivity for Lotus Notes (but LN is not a consumer option really, nor would I recommend it)
OmniFocus for Mac desktop (only on Mac and only handles lists like Wunderlist)

Hope this helps!

texastone

Registered
Thanks everyone. Good input. Kelstarrising, I have been using Outlook with the set up guide recommendation for years in addition to the Netcentrics Add-in. I am more of a CALENDAR user than lists. I use both, but I "Get more Things Done" by placing them on my calendar to accomplish them. Ideally, I don't want to have to go back to the days of having to go through extra steps to convert an email to a calendar item (it's one click with NC add-in), nor do I want to give up the ability to have all my calendar items, emails, and tasks easily associated with a project. Is there anything or combination of things anyone would recommend based on this further input? I seriously am beginning to worry about going backward and adding more work after the add-in is no longer viable.

Jenn

Registered
Ideally, I don't want to have to go back to the days of having to go through extra steps to convert an email to a calendar item (it's one click with NC add-in), nor do I want to give up the ability to have all my calendar items, emails, and tasks easily associated with a project.
I the latest version of Outlook (2016 I think), there are a lot of shortcuts that do replace the add-in. I have one that creates a task and another that creates an appointment. I use these all the time. To find related emails, tasks, calendar items, you could put a consistent Project name in the item. I find the search features in Outlook 2016 much more powerful than they were previously, personally, I use folders for my projects and OneNote for my meeting minutes (linked to the Outlook items and tasks).

John Ismyname

Registered
Netcentrics' GTDOA still works on Outlook 2016! However, it will not work on future versions :(

WHile I have not read the "GTD & Outlook Setup Guide", I created work-arounds for virtually all of the GTDOA functioanlity as well better task views.

"You just won't have the cool features that Netcentrics adds like linking and seeing actions by project." - kelstarrising

My workaround for this is to create a seperate Task folder for each project. (GTDOA does this for the someday list.) Outlook's To-Do view is a composite of all of the tasks in all of your Task folders so you can pull a view of your GTD actions.

I am undecided as to how to create the GTD project list in Outlook. I have created special 'header tasks' that I stored in each of the Task folders by project. I currently store these header tasks in the main Outlook Task folder. Either way, they are read by an Outlook Task view that I can flip to whenever I want to see my GTD projects list.

I do not see a point to any of the current third party Outlook add-ins because;
1. Outlook in its native form has functiolaity robust enought to be a platform for all of GTD
2. All of these 3rd party add-ins are subscription based - you have to pay every month to use it.
3. Many corporate IT departments do not allow 3rd party-aps

apastuszak

Registered
I was hopeful when someone posted Clearcontext as a potential GTD solution for Outlook.

I checked it out, and it broke the cardinal rule of software. They want me to subscribe. Sell me software or don't bother.

John Ismyname

Registered
I agree with apastuzak. I loathe the software-as-a-subscription model. Alas, this is the way the industry is going. A GTDOA developer told me that the ap would not work with subsequent versions of Outlook so we are all on "borrowed time". I am learning VBS scripting so I can emulate so of the functionality. I plan to make this available publically when its done.