What problems typically arise when having a loosely defined outcome or none at all?

Malte

Registered
Around a year ago I noticed I had a number of next actions living in my system that either had no project attached to them (and weren't simple one-action tasks) or had too loosely defined outcomes. When going through my project list, that process wasn't actually exhaustive of the commitments I had made in my life. So these rogue next actions were creating a kind of noise, effectively ending up in the back of my mind again, I've since made an effort of minimizing.

To motivate me more, I'd like to hear your experiences with this phenomenon. What problems have arisen for those of you who have ended up doing something similar? Hearing your perspectives on it I think will further galvanize me to me more strict in clearly defining a project / outcome when there is in fact one not achieved by the next action.

ivanjay205

Registered
Around a year ago I noticed I had a number of next actions living in my system that either had no project attached to them (and weren't simple one-action tasks) or had too loosely defined outcomes. When going through my project list, that process wasn't actually exhaustive of the commitments I had made in my life. So these rogue next actions were creating a kind of noise, effectively ending up in the back of my mind again, I've since made an effort of minimizing.

To motivate me more, I'd like to hear your experiences with this phenomenon. What problems have arisen for those of you who have ended up doing something similar? Hearing your perspectives on it I think will further galvanize me to me more strict in clearly defining a project / outcome when there is in fact one not achieved by the next action.
I 100% have this problem. Typically when I get lazy or rushed! The result I procrastinate on those items terribly. I find the best thing to do is move them back into my inbox and clarify again properly, someday/maybe them, or if no longer relevant kill them. I typically do this when I get into my weekly review.

But the issue, they sit there and collect dust for sure!

I find when I am on my game and I really really really take the time to properly clarify I get super productive and feel great and in control.

RomanS

Registered
For projects that represent a certain challenge, I do formulate goals in the support material according to the SMART method. However, these goals are not particularly important to me during implementation (but I usually don't have any problems with implementation either). For projects that merely serve as an anchor, I formulate the project in the project list as the last step, after which the project can be checked off. In this case, this is sufficient for me as an "outcome".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Shady Waxwing

Registered
The main issue I would have with a "loosely defined outcome" is that I would not know when it is complete. That means I would not know whether any action I take is making any progress on the outcome. As you said, that creates noise.

gtdstudente

Registered
I 100% have this problem. Typically when I get lazy or rushed! The result I procrastinate on those items terribly. I find the best thing to do is move them back into my inbox and clarify again properly, someday/maybe them, or if no longer relevant kill them. I typically do this when I get into my weekly review.

But the issue, they sit there and collect dust for sure!

I find when I am on my game and I really really really take the time to properly clarify I get super productive and feel great and in control.
ivanjay205,

"take the time" . . . taking the time --and effort-- is time VERY well spent

ivanjay205

Registered
ivanjay205,

"take the time" . . . taking the time --and effort-- is time VERY well spent
I do agree with you! In the moment I struggle when I see 20 captured items and know I have 15 minutes to process them. I am VERY guilty of often moving too fast and therefore making slight mistakes in haste vs slowing down just a bit

Oogiem

Registered
Around a year ago I noticed I had a number of next actions living in my system that either had no project attached to them (and weren't simple one-action tasks) or had too loosely defined outcomes.
In addition to taking time over dumping them all back into IN for proper processing I find that a quarterly review Ala "12 Week Year" or a personal retreat, even if I can't get away from the farm are critical. During my solstice and equinox major reviews I make a point to look at EVERY SINGLE THING (yes I AM shouting, it's critical :) ) on any of my lists (context or project) and really evaluate it.

It's especially important now to do that since I've moved all my GTD lists, project support and nearly everything else into Obsidian. It's so fast and easy to use that I find lots of stuff creeping into my system that properly belong in the someday/maybe lists instead. So the quarterly reset is critical for me. I also use the time to improve my Obsidian templates, clean up near duplicate notes for things I captured several times (a common failing for me) and brainstorm on problems and projects that have become stuck for one reason or another.

Roger

Registered
Around a year ago I noticed I had a number of next actions living in my system that either had no project attached to them (and weren't simple one-action tasks) or had too loosely defined outcomes.

When going through my project list, that process wasn't actually exhaustive of the commitments I had made in my life. So these rogue next actions were creating a kind of noise, effectively ending up in the back of my mind again, I've since made an effort of minimizing.

Interesting!

I can see how either of these things could cause some concern, but I'm afraid I don't really see how one causes the other or really even how they're related at all.

If you could clarify a bit more as to how you see them related, I'd be interested to hear it.

Thanks,
Roger

gtdstudente

Registered

Malte,

"Around a year ago I noticed I had a number of next actions living in my system that either had no project attached to them (and weren't simple one-action tasks) or had too loosely defined outcomes."

For having them off one's mind the following possibles come to mind:

1. Do them

2. Place on Maybe/Someday List

3. Create a "What Was I Thinking When this was Written" Lists

As you see GTD fit

On this end, Next Actions needing any explicit Project / Horizon affiliation would add too much friction on this end since all that is 'flushed-out' at the 'expense of' / during the Weekly Review

Most Importantly, on this end and tell GTD self all of the GTD time; Next Actions need to be 'adult-like' and stand 'on their own two feet' in the wilderness of life

Again, as you see GTD fit

Last edited:

Broomscot

Registered
Hi Malte
I wonder if it is worth reflecting on how these actions came to be on your Next Action list. One thing that was brought home to me in the latest GTD Connect 'office hour' session is that items on the Next Action list should already have been clarified. So when you first think of something, it goes in your capture system, not on your Next Action list. When you process the items in your in-tray or other capture system(s), e.g. at the weekly review, you have time to think about what the action really means, whether it is clearly defined, whether it is a project and whether it belongs on your Next Action list. You then have time to define the outcome clearly, if that is what's needed. Before GTD I viewed the contents of my in-tray as tasks to be done, whereas with a GTD system I view the contents as items to be clarified.
I hope this helps.
Claire.

gtdstudente

Registered
Hi Malte
I wonder if it is worth reflecting on how these actions came to be on your Next Action list. One thing that was brought home to me in the latest GTD Connect 'office hour' session is that items on the Next Action list should already have been clarified. So when you first think of something, it goes in your capture system, not on your Next Action list. When you process the items in your in-tray or other capture system(s), e.g. at the weekly review, you have time to think about what the action really means, whether it is clearly defined, whether it is a project and whether it belongs on your Next Action list. You then have time to define the outcome clearly, if that is what's needed. Before GTD I viewed the contents of my in-tray as tasks to be done, whereas with a GTD system I view the contents as items to be clarified.
I hope this helps.
Claire.
Hi Broomscot,

You help one better realize one has a "Personal GTD System" only when one really applies/follows their "Personal GTD System"

GTD thank you

Happy GTD Weekly Review!

mcogilvie

Registered
It’s great that you are aware of these problems, which everyone has to some degree at all times. This happens because our understanding of our wants and needs, our commitments and desires, changes with time. Not only do we better understand how to accomplish things, we better understand what things we want to accomplish. This is a continuous, never-ending process, and a skill to practice and develop. For most people, there is no strict regimen which guarantees quick success. GTD is a practice, a process.

When you feel a need to clarify and organize something, pay attention. The weekly review will catch a lot of these issues, and is really important. Don‘t skip one. If you find a next action that is unclear, it is often fastest to move it to the inbox and move on. For projects, you can use a process next action, where your next action is clarifying and organizing. I review my higher horizons (levels) on a quarterly basis, and that is helpful to me.

gtdstudente

Registered
It’s great that you are aware of these problems, which everyone has to some degree at all times. This happens because our understanding of our wants and needs, our commitments and desires, changes with time. Not only do we better understand how to accomplish things, we better understand what things we want to accomplish. This is a continuous, never-ending process, and a skill to practice and develop. For most people, there is no strict regimen which guarantees quick success. GTD is a practice, a process.

When you feel a need to clarify and organize something, pay attention. The weekly review will catch a lot of these issues, and is really important. Don‘t skip one. If you find a next action that is unclear, it is often fastest to move it to the inbox and move on. For projects, you can use a process next action, where your next action is clarifying and organizing. I review my higher horizons (levels) on a quarterly basis, and that is helpful to me.
mcogilvie,

Huge: " . . . Don‘t skip one."

Double-Huge: "If you find a next action that is unclear, it is often fastest to move it to the inbox and move on."

GTD thank you