What to do with reoccuring daily tasks?

ggrozier

Registered
Thanks!

I'll try these ideas, since what I'm doing now isn't working very well. I'd seen Morgenstern's book and looked through it, but thought I didn't need it. Guess a stop by Borders is due this evening.

--Glenda

Borisoff

Registered
ggrozier;52951 said:
I'll try these ideas, since what I'm doing now isn't working very well. I'd seen Morgenstern's book and looked through it, but thought I didn't need it. Guess a stop by Borders is due this evening.

--Glenda

I have the following timemap:

8:30 - 10:30 Process inboxes, plan the day, make calls and computer tasks
10:30 - 12:00 Commute to office or customer premices
12:00 - 17:00 Meetings (customers, direct reports, etc)
19:00 - 23:00 Home tasks, fitness etc.

Sometimes it changes because of meetings that have to be run in the morning. But this timemap allows me to move all my projects in small steps to the finish. I hope that helps.

ggrozier

Registered
Thanks for the example

I have a lot of internal resistance to a schedule. But it looks like it's something I need to work on to move on to the next level.

Thanks, Katherine and Borisoff.

--Glenda

Cpu_Modern

Registered
ggrozier;52971 said:
I have a lot of internal resistance to a schedule.

I had this too. I examined the reasons behind it (journaling exercises, refelctive talks with friends (and sometimes foes)) and dugg up a whole web of myths about such topics as "creativity", "freedom", "authenticity", "lifestyle", "living as an artist" and a lot more. I had a lot internal agents of laziness and indiscipline disguising themselves as voices of artistry and virtue.

Look at the animals and plants: living by schedule can be totally normal.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
ggrozier;52971 said:
I have a lot of internal resistance to a schedule. But it looks like it's something I need to work on to move on to the next level.

Or: try to say this to a boss at a regular job. Or during staff meeting. LOL.

kewms

Registered
Cpu_Modern;52984 said:
I had this too. I examined the reasons behind it (journaling exercises, refelctive talks with friends (and sometimes foes)) and dugg up a whole web of myths about such topics as "creativity", "freedom", "authenticity", "lifestyle", "living as an artist" and a lot more. I had a lot internal agents of laziness and indiscipline disguising themselves as voices of artistry and virtue.

Yup. And they *are* mostly myths. Most artists (writers, musicians, etc.) who are actually able to earn a living at it work pretty darn hard. The people sitting around coffee shops talking about artistic authenticity often haven't actually accomplished much. (By their own standards, never mind the rest of the world's.)

Katherine

sdann

Registered
kewms;52986 said:
Yup. And they *are* mostly myths. Most artists (writers, musicians, etc.) who are actually able to earn a living at it work pretty darn hard. The people sitting around coffee shops talking about artistic authenticity often haven't actually accomplished much. (By their own standards, never mind the rest of the world's.)

Katherine

One of the best things I ever heard, that has helped me the most, came from a dance teacher at a prestigious ballet school in New York. It is only through real discipline that the best dancers can shine. You can see all around you that the best masters have strong foundations, which only come from discipline.

I have taken that to heart. I am by no means an artistic person, but the discipline of GTD is allowing me to be less harried, to accomplish more, and to even be rather creative.

Brent

Registered
Just to be slightly contrarian (as I am wont to do): I'm creative, and I just don't work well with a schedule. "You will start writing at 7:00 pm tonight" has never worked very well for me, beyond the exciting short term.

But yes, discipline is vital to the true artist. See Pressfield's brilliant The War of Art.

MikeC

Registered
You might have a look at Julie Morgenstern's Time Management from the Inside Out. Her

Julie Morgenstern refers to "Structure and Discipline." The time map (structure) sets up time zones for @errands, @office, @calls, or @ anywhere.

The discipline is assigning NAs, based on estimated completion time, to the time map. And when a day's or week's @meeting, for example, is full--have the discipline to continue scheduling into the next week's time zone instead of overflowing, say, @meeting into your @office zone. Discipline. Ah...a valeity?sp