What was your path with GTD?

askoble

Registered
sharing

randystokes;80615 said:
One thing I forgot about in my "path to GTD": I've bought and given away untold numbers of David's first book (by now it's gotta be somewhere between 100 and 150). There's something about SHARING the knowledge with others that helps inspire and invigorate my own GTD practices.

Randy

YES! This is definitelty true. I've given away only a few copies, but I have also told people that if they buy the book and think it's useless, I'll give them their 9 bucks back. No one has taken me up on that yet.

Oogiem

Registered
Don't Remember it all

I don't remember all the steps I've taken. I know I'd heard a bit about GTD off and on for a while but didn't get serious until a couple of years ago. I'd been reading a lot of articles/blog posts about GTD and finally I got the book Getting Things Done on my kindle back in June 2008. I was motivated because the massive numbers of things I wanted to finish on the farm was getting overwhelming. I'd been using text files of potential projects and management of those was not easy. I was also lacking the "next action" mindset that it was going to take to really get them done.

I joined GTD Connect at about the same time and really started to understand what I was missing.

My first implementation was on paper. That lasted maybe a week or less. Was just too much hassle to edit, update and use.

Second was in LifeBalance because I liked the idea of keeping a balance between my various roles. Plus they had a Palm version which was critical at that time. I first implemented it just after I'd finished the book.

I got the book Ready for Anything on kindle in July 2008 and really liked it as well.

Got Making it all Work January 2009

My LifeBalance implementation fell apart sometime in early 2009. At that point I again went to paper while I reviewed possible choices. Palm was being killed and I looked very seriously at the iPhone but ATT service is so poor that I could not switch. However I decided that being Mac based I'd go ahead and go with Omnifocus. I was syncing Omnifocus with Apple Calendar & ToDo's and then syncing that with my Palm via Missing Sync. Kludgey but it diid work. Very hard to update on the Palm though so I did all my update and review on the Mac and only used the palm for doing. Missing Sync was increasingly causing me problems, buggy, crashes and generally making me spend a huge amount of time making sure I was properly backed up.

Late 2009 I started looking at a replacement for my Palm phone. Reviewed iPhone again with same results, poor ATT service makes it impossible. I also considered android phones but the SW for GTD was lacking and in particular since I loved Omnifocus I didn't want to change that system at all. Finally decided that I could switch most everything over to an iPod Touch and so I did that in January 2010. I use the standard mac calendar and e-mail apps.

Been running that way since and other than a major glitch when I made the mistake of upgrading to iOS 4.0 and had to jailbreak my iPod back down a level to get stuff working again it's been fine.

jrobinson

Registered
Path to GTD

I feel like I owe a lot to David, DavidCo and GTD in general. I have always considered myself an "organized" person....big on to do lists, writing things down, etc. However, a few years ago, I was promoted within my organization and quickly realized that my "systems" were not enough to manage the workflow coming at me. I also came to the conclusion that unless I can find ways "take on" more work, my success would be limited. This propelled me to investigate productivity and organization materials and set a goal that I would find a better system. While purchasing a nice new portfolio and some paper from Levenger, I noticed a link to an article about "achieving mind like water"....I read the article and immediately connected with the information. From there, I immediately purchased both Getting Things Done and Ready for Anything and was off in running. I have since joined GTD Connect, attended both the Roadmap and Mastering Workflow seminars, and have listened to every audio connected to GTD.

I have fully implemented GTD - but it takes time (as David often states) It has taken me two years to get to where I am today:
I overhauled my desk - took me months but finally clicked that my inbox needed to within reach of my chair (simple but powerful change)
I began fully using the model for Lotus Notes as mapped out on the GTD Whitepaper
de-cluttered as much as possible
purchased the necessary tools - yes, a labeler as well
implemented a "tickle system" with much success
moved my file cabinets to within swivel (this took me a year - don't ask why)...and removed the hanging files
I am never without paper and pen (thank you Notetaker Wallet) or some sort of idea capturing device (much to the amusement of many around me)
I consistently do weekly reviews (every Friday) - this is critical
shared and taught much of GTD to my team
I spend more time thinking about "higher horizons" than I ever did previously

The list could go on.

So - what has this all meant? It's hard to believe (but powerful) to compare today to two years ago. I believe I have come so far. Today, I feel incredibly more confident in my ability to manage life. Not only does GTD provide huge benefits for career management but personal as well. Anyone with kids knows the responsibility in managing their lives (projects, calendars and NA's). I now have the "rails" to keep things on track and if they come off (which they do often), I know how to get back on quickly. As with anything, it constantly needs fine tuning and tweaking.....GTD Connect helps me keep fresh as I constantly come across new ideas and tips. I am taking on more work, getting more done, elevating to higher horizons more often, and operating in life with more confidence and peace mind. My life has improved greatly due to GTD so thank you David and all those at DavidCo for the great work you are doing. I'm looking forward to what the future brings. I, like many others, owe you a debt of gratitude.

ChristinaSkaskiw

Registered
Trained in MAP

I was 28 when I took the weekend workshop called Managing Action and Projects (MAP) in the early 90's. We used the Time Design planner and the most clear memory from that workshop was the mind sweep exercise. I remember writing pages of stuff and then we went back through and crossed out the things we decided we weren't going to do, then marked all the someday/maybes, which was most of it. After that I think we marked the projects, ie the multi-step ones, and the waiting fors. And then everything got put into the planner with context lists and all, except for the someday/maybes which we were left to do on our own. Ah! The feeling of CLARITY!

Earlier, when I was at university, each semester was divided into two periods and after each we had a week of exams and no classes. After the last exam, which would either fall on the Friday or the Saturday, we would have one or two days of no homework before classes started up again, ie NOTHING WE HAD TO DO. It was just great! After having done the mind sweep at the MAP training, I had the same feeling of "after the last exam Sunday", because I could see clearly what I could safely ignore. This feeling is still what motivates me to stay "on the wagon".

Another big thing for me was the distinction of reminders and support material. I used to have "mixed piles" and they bothered me more and more the older and thicker they got. It's like they grew monstrous tentacles reaching out for me. By extracting the reminders and putting them on my lists and calendar, my piles turned completely harmless.

My system was paper-based for years. After the MAP training I immediately got myself a tickler file and I've had one since. Subsequently, I've been using various paper/electronic hybrid systems depending on what my employers used for email clients and whatever other technological pieces of equipment that came along, adapting to my changing needs.

When the book came out, I read it of course, and I'm sure I over-hauled my system as a result, although I don't remember how. The last piece that I put in was the A-Z filing system, which is only 3 years old. That's also how old our labeller is.

I didn't join GTD Connect when it launched because I couldn't really afford it, but now I can :)

I consider myself very fortunate to have come across GTD (MAP) so early in my career. I have never been sleepless or seriously stressed about my work and I've never worked overtime for any extended period.

/Christina

larea

Registered
As best I recall

1. Bought book in bookstore (I think soon after it came out)
2. Read a little more than half of it - at that time I read it as a source of organizing inspiration but honestly it never even occurred to me to implement the whole thing. I was more of a "yeah that is a good idea" or "no, that sounds like a lot of trouble." In many cases I skipped sections (such as natural planning model) just on the basis of "I hate planning models" without really spending the time to see what it was. I know I never finished the original copy because I found it when I moved recently with a bookmark in it!
3. Absorbed more information re GTD from osmosis and internet blogs over a many year period, had good feelings about GTD, did some GTD-ish things but had not spent the time to really implement it other than bits and pieces.
4. Workload/responsibility increased, started getting harder to control.
5. Bought a book/CD set, listened to the CD, and read the whole book.
6. Started using MLO software. Used it in a spectacularly unsuccessful manner for a few years. I remember the first day when I wrote down my initial list of next actions - I had 600 for work, more than that for home, and I never finished home. I did have some multiple sequential actions (maybe that explains half of the items) but also I have trouble telling myself I can't do something if it seems like a good idea! :) However, it is very dampening to the spirits to try to handle a list containing more than 1500 to dos!
7. Started on a downward spiral into overwhelm paralysis.
8. Reorganization and greatly increased turnover (requiring lots of mentoring) significantly increased my workload again. In addition had some highly stressful personal events around this time.
9. Realized I was in PAIN and had to do something......Purchased more GTD materials on CD, started listening to them every day on commute.
10. Joined Connect and started to saturate my brain with GTD, listened to everything, some of it twice.
11. Set up system in Outlook with the add-in.
12. Bought an iPod.
13. Did some weekly reviews even though my system wasn't all that clean.
14. Created some on deck/incubate/someday maybe categories and reduced current list to ~ 350.
15. Bought MindManager and actually planned some things I would not normally plan.
16. As I stick around I keep realizing things I'm doing wrong (or things I can do more right.)
17.........to be continued, this is definitely a journey for me.......

elbow

Registered
I first read GTD probably about 7 years ago - I was terminally disorganised at the time and was desperate for anything that would help so I used to read a time management book every other month or so! I took on board a few tips such as a Waiting For list and 2-minute rule but I dismissed the rest of it, thinking that it would be far too time-consuming to set up and maintain the system.

I got a short-term boost but within months I was back to where I started. Around two years later I was sorting through my books and came across the book again. I thought I'd read it again and see if there were any other hints and tips I could take on board, and for some reason this time it really clicked with me. I spent a weekend both at work and at home implementing, and I've never looked back since. I also joined Connect soon afterwards and that definitely helped as in the early days it kept me engaged with developing my systems and staying on the wagon, and now I'm more epxerienced it continues to be a great source of inspiration as well as practical advice.

I've experimented with various electronic and paper tools and now settled on toodledo.com as my list manager, mostly because I can access it on my work PC, home Mac and iPhone. I do a Weekly Review every week and my inboxes are all at zero at least once a week. I would say at work I am now approaching black belt with GTD, although at home there's a bit further to go!

I'm so glad I re-read the book that second time, it really was life-changing!

kclee

Registered
Path to GTD-A little different start

I'm a little late to this thread but thought I'd add my post as my path to GTD is somewhat different than most of the posts that have started directly with David Allen's book.

Around October 2010, I was on the hunt for a new calendar system - I had been using a 2 page-per-day sytem, the large size of 8 1/2 x 11, for 2 years and it wasn't working anymore with the volume of work I had. I would take down notes for meetings and conversations, etc. but then the "to dos" would get lost and were difficult to keep up with. And, over time, I had a hard time getting back to some of those notes (in the calendar system) to find the right ones, etc. to determine what happened and/or "reference" background info.

The other reason for choosing a new planner was to have something that was more portable for business travel as that was increasing then as well.

So, while looking at planners for this year, I came across the GTD planner and read through some of it while in the office supply store - the ideas of organizing next actions by context and using calendar for hard landscape and must dos was very appealing. Seemed more intuitive to how I work.

I purchased the 2010 planner and I could say the rest is history, however, that was just the beginning of a process to implement GTD fully, and it is still evolving.

Here is basic path of "what happened next":
1. Purchased GTD planner for 2010
2. Setup the planner and started GTD process with work office
3. Checked out website reference from new planner and explored David Allen website for as much info. as possible (saw that there was an upcoming seminar for Nashville but I couldn't take time off for it - ever coming back?)
4. Found blog link and started following blog consistently
5. Downloaded some of the free papers from DA website
6. Did finally purchase book - took 3 months to read though in "spare time"
7. Purchased desk inbox and set up consistent process for it
8. Purchased note taker wallet - love it!
9. Started somewhat consistent Weekly Review process - I do weekly review for work every Friday and weekly review for home every Sunday (still 2 processes due to volume of both location "types")
10. Weekly review, Projects / Next Actions concept, 2 Min. rule and processing inbox have been huge impacts towards productivity -> In March I was put on a very high visibility project and I credit GTD with ability to stay on top of the sub-projects I'm managing
11. Purchased "Making it all Work" on Kindle and now about 80% finished
12. Started traveling at rate of 2 weeks per month - I took GTD planner on those initial trips, however, it was still too bulky for frequent travel (I had the large one)
13. Sometime during spring I signed up for GTD Connect - scoured it for more info and have attended a couple of webinars
14. Purchased a plain paper moleskine and "hacked" it for GTD but was still using GTD planner calendar at work (the 2 mediums were not working though)
15. New 18-month calendars came out from moleskine so I started one of those in July alongside the other "hacked" moleskine - both moleskines together are still thinner than GTD planner binder and travel well (sorry, retired the GTD planner)

Remaining issues that I'm working on -> dealing with backlog, especially at home (attended webinar so have started to work on that); using Next Action / list mgmt system consistently (online or paper) as work computer is completely separated from home computer, i.e. not allowed to access/do anything personal via work computer (currently I have work related Projects/Next Actions listed in Lotus Notes on work computer and then home items in Moleskine); setting up tickler file; and setting up reference files (this would help with backlog)

BjornLjunggren

Registered
GND - Getting Nothing Done

When I was in my youth I lived by one rule GND - Getting Nothing Done. I didn't know it at the time, but that is what I call it these days. But after university and starting to work, GND didn't work out so well. But after spending a whole life with GND I didn't have any tools to actual DO a whole lot without being the responder/victim.So I figure I needed some help, so I turned to books.

I read a lot of self-help books (Dyer, Dr Phil etc) but I found that they were either just cheerful (You are great! / Dyer) or just challenging me with questions (How is that working for you? / Dr Phil) that I didn't have the answers to begin with. Since I didn't find the tools that I needed my maniac ego had one of it's most brilliant ideas, I'm going to create a system myself!

Spend a lot of time creating the system, but it never left the theoretical part. It was a pretty pathetic system. My central piece was TIME. Start date, due date, milestone date etc. It was doomed to fail. But the good thing about the home made system was that I thought about the process a lot of what it takes to create a system for everything. I just couldn't create it myself, but I knew what I was looking for.

One day I was in a book store and started to look in the GTD book. And when I saw the GTD graph I froze. There it was. The system that I tried to create myself, someone had already done it (off course). Yes! Inbox! Two minute rule!! Brilliant!!! I still think that Dave Allen is a genius having created this simple model for such a complex issue (everything!).

Now this is my third time with GTD after reading the book that first time in 2007.

GTD 1.0 ✟ (2007), Parts of GTD at work on harddrive
Read the book, got inspired, but couldn’t follow through because my GTD system wasn’t complete. It only managed my work and it neglected some essential parts of the methodology.

GTD 2.0 ✟ (2009), Full GTD at work and life on harddrive
Applied GTD to both work and life. The system was complete and worked wonders for me. But I fell off the wagon when my computer crashed (no backup) and with it my GTD system. At the same time my son got sick and I stayed at home/hospitals for 3 months.

GTD 3.0 (2010), Full GTD at work and life online + Connect member
Put all my GTD system online to try and avoid computer crashes, and also be able to always have GTD with me in my phone. Became a GTD Connect member.

So that is my path. :cool:

chipjoyce

Registered
My bumpy start with GTD but I'm flying now

I bought "Getting Things Done" during a lunch break, with the aim of organizing paper stuff, mostly. Then I realized there was a lot more about GTD than that, and I went crazy organizing my home for a few days. But everything was about physical stuff, at first, not the mental stuff. Then I started managing my email differently. It took a while to start mind sweeps, setting a system, and doing a weekly a review.

I rushed into various Mac software apps. I didn't have GTD down, conceptually, and the software made things burdensome and complicated, and counterproductive. I kept switching software and scrapping my system and starting over. Finally, on a business trip that had some down time, I created a paper system based on moving Post-It Notes around a nice notebook. it was physically cumbersome and only lasted a month, at most, but I conceptually got the workflow this way.

At that point, I returned to Things software for almost a year. Eventually, though, I found it was not powerful enough for what I needed, and I returned to my original purchase, Omnifocus. The Set-Up guide had come out, by then, and it helped tame that wild beast. It's really brilliant software, and now I use it on my MacBook Pro, iPhone, and recently, iPad.

I have evolved in using OF, though. I used to keep everything in it, including several Someday/Maybe lists that included over a hundred movies and books, for example, in separate lists. I also tried to make it be the place for my higher altitudes. Ultimately, and recently, in fact, I decided to remove those from OF. Now OF is streamlined and only for my current Next Actions and Projects. My Someday/Maybe Lists are in documents kept in Dropbox and available via the 'net, my phone, and iPad.

I have also evolved into a much more sophisticated GTD'er. Once the runway-projects were under control, I started to THINK differently. Of course, there is the "what's the desired outcome and next action?" part of it, but so much more, too. If I'm stressed, I do a mind sweep. If I'm partially watching TV, I keep a pen and paper nearby for a lazy mind sweep: I don't actively pull for thoughts, but let them surface on their own.

I use my lists differently too. I am much more critical of them, in the sense of really asking if something needs to be on the list. I am amazed by how much I drop from the lists, and feel fine about it. I need to be 100% committed to something for it to be on my lists (not counting my someday-maybe lists, that is).

Another evolution is my ability to think at the higher altitudes without a sense of overwhelm and stress. I'm certainly nowhere near the clarity in all of my higher altitudes as I wish, but they are slowly forming. My life is getting to be more meaningful and I have a greater sense of being able to create my future than I ever have experienced.

I could go on for hours about this topic, but I'll just add one more observation. I make decisions much more easily, and do not second-guess them nearly as often. I feel "completeness" much more than ever before, and let go of the past and live in the now, more, too.

So from organizing my files, to straightening my closets, I've come quite a long way with GTD.

louisa

Registered
Happy to be here...

The prelude to getting involved with GTD for me was a major shift this past spring from a corporate job to self-employment. After reading an interview with Gretchen Rubin in the NY Times, I bought "The Happiness Project" and am in the early stages of designing my project. I found several posts on Gretchen Rubin's blog (http://www.happiness-project.com) from readers who had found GTD helpful. I kept following those threads after I read her book, and about two months ago got the book "Getting Things Done" and began to understand why prior efforts had really not worked well for me. Anyone who has read "Side-Tracked Home Executives" or visited The Fly Lady (http://flylady.net) will understand what I'm talking about. What GTD does so well is make the basic point about the time and discipline required, though I know I am much more ready than I ever would have been when I had a "standard" job. After joining GTD Connect this week, reading this thread gave me tremendous support, and I am really enjoying starting to dig out from the backlog. That's the story of my path!

Suelin23

Registered
1 - Bought an iPhone, and looked for apps to handle tasks
2 - Bought & liked the Pocket Informant app because it has both calendar and tasks.
3 - intrigued by GTD mention in PI, I googled GTD, then bought the starter kit.
4 - spent a month - 2 months reading, listening to cds, thinking how to set it up
5 - trialled GTD connect, started setting up my system. Did about 3 full days separately and not fully setup.
6 - realised it wasn't working, started listening to webinars.
7 - signed up to GTD connect for a year, listed to more webinars.
8 - based on webinars I set up a gantt chart for my projects, and the sub projects became GTD projects. Much easier to brainstorm next actions when the project is something you can visualise. Also created backlog piles and lists. Continued improving setup.
9 - reread book, kept improving lists, started looking at forums.
10 - work is now setup GTD style. Next - home!

Kent Valentine

Registered
Man, I'm feeling old...

The first time I came across GTD, it was called MAP (Managing Accelerated Productivity) when I worked at McDonnell Douglas (MD) back in 1989. David was with a company called Insight Consulting in Santa Monica, and MD sent me to a seminar given by David at the South Coast Plaza hotel...it had a big impact on my life.

Although I started with the Time/Design system and used that method for **years**, I've gravitated towards electronic systems over the past 10 years or so.

Truthfully, I'd love to go back to a paper system, but between my dual careers of being an AF reservist and Defense/Aerospace consultant, I am on the road 200+ days a year (much like David)-- as a result, having any additional weight to schlepp around becomes an issue. So I'm starting to work my way through transitioning my system to OmniFocus (currently Mac and iPhone...but perhaps iPad and iPhone if the iPad morphs into a bit more of a composition vs. consumption-only machine).

I've audited two additional David seminars in the intervening years ('03 in Boston, and '07 in Phoenix). It's always good to get some first-hand motivation from the GTDGuy himself.

Even after 21 years, it's STILL an awesome approach and mindset!

Regards,

Kent