where do lists go in the workflow scheme

TonyFoxx

Registered
hi everyone,
I want to clear something thats confusing me. I understand the concept of gtd but i want to know where things like a list of my favorite movies or list of favorite quotes, for example would go? Would you keep that in your reference system? To me that wouldnt make sense as you need to constantly update the list.

Brent

Registered
It can go in your reference system, yes. Updating something in your reference system should take, oh, 30 seconds or so. That's about how long it would take me, physical or digital.

dschaffner

Registered
TonyFoxx;64025 said:
hi everyone,
I want to clear something thats confusing me. I understand the concept of gtd but i want to know where things like a list of my favorite movies or list of favorite quotes, for example would go? Would you keep that in your reference system? To me that wouldnt make sense as you need to constantly update the list.

My favorite quotes are in a text file on my hard disk. They are not explicitly part of my GTD system, or in my A-Z file.

Movies and book to buy are in my GTD system, as I may want to buy one the next time I'm shopping online or in the real world.

I don't keep a list of favorite movies and books.

I hope that's helpful.

- Don

Cpu_Modern

Registered
TonyFoxx;64025 said:
Would you keep that in your reference system? To me that wouldnt make sense as you need to constantly update the list.

I would say: reference. The alternative is: project support materials. But why put it in reference? Because you keep this list "for further reference", not "as supporting material to lead the project to completion". Project support for this project would be for example a paper stating the mission statement of this project like this: "We have to gather our favorite quotes!". I am sure you don't need this.

Linada

Registered
I keep checklists, wishlists and the like in a sort of in between of someday/maybe and reference. I reality this takes the shape of electronic storage. i use Evernote, but previously i have used Journler and text files would be perfectly sufficient really.
In a paper system i would probably stick the lists in a small A5 folder and keep it fairly visible. It's not something i would be really comfortable filing in the depth of my reference system, even though it doesn't take long to find something.

ellobogrande

Registered
Lists like favorite movies, inspirations, and "things to do next time I'm in Pittsburgh" fall under the category of "reference lists". I've got lots of lists like this and seldom do they end up on my action lists (unless a review of these reference lists triggers something for me to do).

In an electronic solution like MS Outlook or Palm Desktop, you'd use the Notes or Memos component that allows you to create those electronic Post-It Notes that hold freeform text. Just create a note and assign it the appropriate category (Affirmations, Checklists, Focus Areas, Lists, Travel, Ideas, etc).

If you use paper, dedicate a section of your personal planner to reference lists, make the lists on separate pieces of paper and put them there.

clango

Registered
ellobogrande;64053 said:
Lists like favorite movies, inspirations, and "things to do next time I'm in Pittsburgh" fall under the category of "reference lists". I've got lots of lists like this and seldom do they end up on my action lists (unless a review of these reference lists triggers something for me to do).

In an electronic solution like MS Outlook or Palm Desktop, you'd use the Notes or Memos component that allows you to create those electronic Post-It Notes that hold freeform text. Just create a note and assign it the appropriate category (Affirmations, Checklists, Focus Areas, Lists, Travel, Ideas, etc).

If you use paper, dedicate a section of your personal planner to reference lists, make the lists on separate pieces of paper and put them there.

On Outlook I use the same system, me too. Notes for lists, tasks for @Projects and so on and Calendar. I can, then find, my notes on my nokia mobile phone thanks to the synchronization while I print the tasks lists to have always with me and my moleskine.

But try to read "Making it all work" because control is as important as perspective!

Oogiem

Registered
TonyFoxx;64025 said:
where things like a list of my favorite movies or list of favorite quotes, for example would go? Would you keep that in your reference system?

I keep quotes and inspirational items in individual Palm Memos under a category Thoughts. I am moving them off to a Yojimbo database though. A copy is in my paper reference file in a folder called Inspiration

My list of movies owned on DVD is an Open Office Write file as are my lists of movies I'm looking for, books wanted that are not available on Kindle and the lists of books owned both paper (2 files fiction and non-fiction) and on the kindle. The books wanted that are available on the kindle are in my save for later section on Amazon.

blackgold

Registered
Oogiem;64062 said:
I keep quotes and inspirational items in individual Palm Memos under a category Thoughts. I am moving them off to a Yojimbo database though. A copy is in my paper reference file in a folder called Inspiration

My list of movies owned on DVD is an Open Office Write file as are my lists of movies I'm looking for, books wanted that are not available on Kindle and the lists of books owned both paper (2 files fiction and non-fiction) and on the kindle. The books wanted that are available on the kindle are in my save for later section on Amazon.

Hi,

In my opinion, Kindle 2 is really helpful.
Also, its popularity is going to increase.
I think it's worth it.

Here's the link of Amazon Kindle 2.
Amazon Kindle 2

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

clear.gif

Oogiem

Registered
blackgold;65970 said:
In my opinion, Kindle 2 is really helpful.

I haven't seen anything in the Kindle 2 that is a significant improvement over Kindle 1. In fact I think there are some losses, the lack of the SD card means it's harder to store larger libraries.

What I really need is a SW update to include user definable folders for my kindle books. Then I can take advantage of more memory. Right now I'm limited to around 150 books on my kindle because it's too hard to navigate more.

I'm holding out for a kindle 3 :)

graphicdetails

Registered
I would also keep it as a reference list. I do have some lists that I call "active" lists, meaning I use them on a daily basis because I will need them for recurring activities. I list them in my PDA as "A-Blog Ideas", "A-Site Ideas", and "A-Newsletter Ideas", this way they all show up at the top. And as I go about my daily life, if I read something or think of something that I believe I'd like to use on any of these lists, I can add them quickly.

Then when the monthly project shows up to update my website, the first NA is to review the active list "A-Site Ideas".

Brent

Registered
Oogiem;65972 said:
I haven't seen anything in the Kindle 2 that is a significant improvement over Kindle 1. In fact I think there are some losses, the lack of the SD card means it's harder to store larger libraries.

Interesting! I find the page refresh noticeably faster on Kindle 2, and the 5-way navigation joystick much easier to use than the scroll wheel, faster and more accurate when accessing things (you can navigate directly to a specific word), and it makes lookups much faster. Also, one can now highlight any amount of text, even just one word. And, of course, text-to-speech is nice.

How many books do you have for your Kindle? Kindle 2 can store well over 1,500 books just on the device; how much onboard storage do you need?

Pulling this back to GTD: I wouldn't recommend either version of the Kindle for keeping notes while on-the-go. Keyboard entry and screen refresh is just too slow for that sort of use. Index cards or a small notebook would be more effective, in general.

Oogiem

Registered
Brent;66006 said:
Interesting! I find the page refresh noticeably faster on Kindle 2, and the 5-way navigation joystick much easier to use than the scroll wheel, faster and more accurate when accessing things (you can navigate directly to a specific word), and it makes lookups much faster. Also, one can now highlight any amount of text, even just one word. And, of course, text-to-speech is nice.

How many books do you have for your Kindle? Kindle 2 can store well over 1,500 books just on the device; how much onboard storage do you need?

I hate joystick nav devices, I can never use them successfully so I get frustrated with them. For me that's a big downside. Page refresh is acceptable so not worth upgrade just to get it faster, I rarely use word lookup at all so also not an issue and I hate to listen to books being read so text to speech is also worthless to me.

The space on the kindle 2 is a benefit but without folders or a way to categorize the collection to my own needs it's too hard to move among a large library. SD cards mean I can put all the books related to a particular theme or author on one place and only move them into the kindle for reading.

Now if Amazon woudl hurry up and get user defined folders for book storage then I'd reconsider.

Right now my kindle has about 120 books on it, I spent some time cleaning off stuff this weekend. I own something like 300 books on kindle, about half were purchased and half were free mostly from feedbooks.