Where do you keep your list of higher levels?

Chas29

Registered
Where do you keep your list(s) of higher goals? Do you keep them all in a simple .txt or .doc file that you review weekly? Do you print them out and keep them in your filing cabinet? Do you combine them into a single document, or do you keep them separate?

Just curious how you guys do it? Just looking for/at the different "systems" out there?

Thanks,
Chas29

Mark Jantzen

Registered
OmniFocus & Mindjet

My primary list making tools are OmniFocus and Mindjet so I tend to start here.

In OmniFocus I have a project folder for each horizon level - Projects, Areas of Focus, etc. I use the OmniFocus project items to describe any horizon not just 10,000 foot outcomes.

One example is "Auto" in my Areas of Focus folder. In Mindjet I created a mind map to act as my checklist for things related to keeping my car maintained and driving related stuff - registration, driver's license, maintenance, etc.

There are so many tools available these days I think the key is picking as few as you can get by with and focus on getting your "content" complete.

Mark

JakeInBrighton

Registered
Thanks for starting this thread, great question and I am also curious as to other's views. My system as it stands:

I have a page for each Area of Responsibility in Evernote, which includes mindmaps that touch on Goals and Visions and a section for explicit goals for that Area. I review each once per month as part my Review process.

I also have an area of responsibility called Goals and Visions, which is about the responsibility to maintain goals and visions- so it has maintenance tasks to do with these higher Horizons of Focus (e.g. setting annual goals etc).

I am developing Vision Boards for each Area of Responsibility in Evernote. These contain inspirational images. I've only recently implemented this so I've done about half my areas. It's been extremely helpful already.

I am still working on how to capture 50,000ft Purpose more effectively. I've got an Evernote page for it with a mindmap, some inspirational quotes and I've also created a vision board with some inspirational pictures. I review this monthly as well. This level is so high, I am still working on how to make it more tangible to myself.

Lower level Horizons (projects, tasks) are in my task manager, which happens to be Things. I've grouped projects there by Area of Responsibility. I look at those groupings as part of the weekly review and it reminds me of the higher level stuff (although I've chosen to look at the in depth Evernote stuff once per month).

Chas29

Registered
Thanks guys. It sounds like both of you use mindmapping to keep track of and "inspire/expand" your higher levels. Interesting. Perhaps I will explore mindmapping more. Jake, what is your preferred mindmapping software?

Mark, how exactly do you use mindmapping software (Mindjet?) to create checklists? I like your Auto example, but can't quite envision how mindmapping helps you to create a checklist there.

Mark, I agree with your last statement! I'm also following your other live thread. Good thread!

Chas29

JakeInBrighton

Registered
Chas29;105971 said:
Jake, what is your preferred mindmapping software?

Chas29

I use iThoughs HD on the iPad. It's a very nice mindmapping app and the iPad is also a great tool for that activity as I can make a mindmap whilst relaxing in a comfortable spot.

S-Tolland

Registered
I also use mindmaps to log my 30-50K. I use Freemind (freeware). I also use mindmaps for my 20K and have found the visual nature of the maps to be by far the best way to look at my Areas of Focus and make sure I am engaging appropriately with each area.

Oogiem

Registered
Chas29;105961 said:
Where do you keep your list(s) of higher goals? Do you keep them all in a simple .txt or .doc file that you review weekly? Do you print them out and keep them in your filing cabinet? Do you combine them into a single document, or do you keep them separate?

Just curious how you guys do it? Just looking for/at the different "systems" out there?

Thanks,
Chas29

I use Omnifocus. I have a folder for each Area of focus and the projects go inside that folder. That way during review I can tell if I am neglecting an area and see what I need to adjust in other areas to put some effort there.

For my main purpose of life, the 50K level, I have a note in DEVONThink that is on my mac, iPhone and iPad that I can refer to as often as I want to. It's in the same section of the DT database as other inspiring thoughts and quotes and I try to look at something in there at least once a week or so.

Where I fall down a bit is the middle levels of goals. Main reason is that my projects tend to focus on goals more than most and my projects can span years or decades. I do keep some of the goals in other DEVONThink notes but not as many as I should. Improving my goal management is an area I am focusing on this year.

I've tried mind-mapping and don't like it. I just don't think that way. I have used Scapple as a simple mind map tool and it's functional but that is so foreign to how I think that I rarely use it. What I do have for a couple of major areas, like the Manage our Farm Sustainably and Manage our Finances AOFs is a separate LibreOffice document that lists various goals by years and then in my history document I track whether I accomplished those goals or not. I also use Aeon Timeline as a way to track some key goals that are time dependent. I'm using it more as a historical reference as well though.

enyonam

Registered
HoF Mindmap

I am huge fan of mindmapping for my horizons of focus. I use MindJet MindManager. And I mindmap from the 50k all the way down to 20k and even some 10k and what I call 5k (actions) and 0k (habits). From the nodes (20k, 10k, 5k), I like to my list manager (Evernote) where I track all my projects and next actions. I feel like I have a really nice linkage between my daily grind, and my horizons of focus. It's pretty easy for me if I'm stuck with prioritisation to pull up the right node in my Horizons of Focus mindmap and climb the levels until I'm clear about what's priority.

Regards, Enyo
www.enyonam.com

TesTeq

Registered
Signs on the runway?

enyonam;106024 said:
(...) I mindmap from the 50k all the way down to 20k and even some 10k and what I call 5k (actions) and 0k (habits).

I would rather put actions at 0k and habits at 5k but maybe you are right. Maybe habits are signs on the runway...

enyonam

Registered
Habits in my Horizons of Focus

TesTeq;106028 said:
I would rather put actions at 0k and habits at 5k but maybe you are right. Maybe habits are signs on the runway...

I think of habits as foundational. Of course some habits are done weekly or monthly or annually, but when implementing a new habit, I try to break it down into a daily habit which I try to build into my daily rhythm.

So to continue your analogy :), I suppose I see habits less like the signs on the road and more like the dashed lines on the road. ... because those are the ones that help you stay on track and can help you keep pace.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Goals are date-specific!

Chas29;105961 said:
Where do you keep your list(s) of higher goals? Do you keep them all in a simple .txt or .doc file that you review weekly?
In principle "yes", however .doc is too vulgar for my developed taste in file-formats and word processors. So, it's an .opml but the basic attitude is the same.

Chas29;105961 said:
Just looking for/at the different "systems" out there?
I have them in a (digital) folder in my standard-GTD general reference plus project support filing system. The folder is named "goals", or similar, and the files are named by the dates the goals are active. (It is also easy to re-activate something by duplicating the file and just renaming it. But, I guess with HoF this is not a too often exercised use-case .)