Where do you put someday/maybe materials?

ero213

Registered
I have project support folders and an actions support folder, but what do people do with stuff that's not active, but may be needed for a project that has an unspecified future date. This is often the case for a project that was active, but has to be shelved because of something more pressing.

On a related note: How 'bout stuff from completed projects? Do you hang on to old project folders or process them and only keep necessary reference?

Thanks,

Eric

vbampton

Administrator
In my reference filing.

If it's someday maybe, it's on my someday maybe list and any support material is just reference.

If it's old project support that I'll need again, I file into main reference.

If it's old project support that I don't think I'll need again, it goes into Project X folder in the reference filing, and after a year I throw it away that's still in that folder, as I obviously haven't needed it.

ero213

Registered
Great, thanks! That make sense. I like the Project X folder idea.

vbampton;105470 said:
In my reference filing.

If it's someday maybe, it's on my someday maybe list and any support material is just reference.

If it's old project support that I don't think I'll need again, it goes into Project X folder in the reference filing, and after a year I throw it away that's still in that folder, as I obviously haven't needed it.

ero213

Registered
Great, thanks! That make sense. I like the Project X folder idea.

vbampton;105470 said:
In my reference filing.

Oogiem

Registered
ero213;105462 said:
I have project support folders and an actions support folder, but what do people do with stuff that's not active, but may be needed for a project that has an unspecified future date. This is often the case for a project that was active, but has to be shelved because of something more pressing.

On a related note: How 'bout stuff from completed projects? Do you hang on to old project folders or process them and only keep necessary reference?

All of that goes into my main reference filing system. I often move projects in and out of active status based on season, weather, energy, $ and a host of other factors. I also frequently keep details of completed projects as well. I have gone back to find details of projects I completed 5-10 and even as long as 25 years ago that are now relevant so I wouldn't be in a hurry to trash stuff. Some of my ongoing projects have been in the works for as long as 40 years. (Stuff I inherited from my mother about projects on the farm, they are in someday/maybe for me now although I have moved on a bunch of them slowly over the last 15 years) Just make sure you have a good filing system. I am moving a lot of my physical files over to electronic by scanning them. That way they are still accessible to me even decades into the future.