Where do you put the stuff you want to think about?

gtdnubcake

Registered
You know, the big decision stuff that you want to sleep on to feel confident that you are
making the right choice. I don't think the someday/maybe is appropriate because we
only review it once every two week or once a month.

Barb

Registered
Two choices

You can either put stuff like that in a file called "Action Support" (with an appropriate action in your system linking to it) or in a tickler file.

Just be sure "think about" isn't really just procrastination. Most things are either actionable or they are not. If you find yourself putting off decisions routinely, you might want to be a little tougher on yourself. You can always change your mind later.

mcogilvie

Registered
gtdnubcake;106410 said:
You know, the big decision stuff that you want to sleep on to feel confident that you are
making the right choice. I don't think the someday/maybe is appropriate because we
only review it once every two week or once a month.

Is it a project? If it is, then "Decide XXX" or "R&D for decision on XXX" goes on your project list for review every week. Suppose that the data has all been gathered. Then "Review data for tentative decision on XXX" can go on the appropriate list. You may find at that point that you are read to proceed. If you are not, you can put something like "Implement XXX decision?" on the appropriate action list. Then when you are in the right context, you will do it when it feels right. Of course, if there is a deadline for a decision, you have to track that as well. An alternative is an "Incubate" list, but I think that is less appropriate when you are merely putting off a decision.

vbampton

Administrator
I'd ask 2 questions:

1. Is there anything else I need to know before I can make a decision? If so, that's the next action.

2. One of David's questions - when will I be smarter? When do I expect to be able to make a decision? Then it'll go on my calendar on that date (or in my case, an OmniFocus due date). If that's a way off, I'll add it to my @thinking next action list, just as a reminder when I do the weekly review.

cfoley

Registered
You could tickle it for the next day if you want to just sleep on it or put it on your calendar. I might be temped to put it on my @Brainstorm context too.