Where do you put this? Little questions

D

Dreamjuggler

:) My 2nd GTD-week is over, I decluttered a good bit in my house...
However, the system is a bit challenging for me, and I`d like to read your advice (I checked out the archive before, but the stuff below seems to be new).

Questions:

- How many texts do you have in your read/ review box? How many hours do you have to empty the box?
- Where do you put the texts you want to read "someday?"
- How do you decide which texts you don`t have to read? :wink:
- Where do you put the dam`n stuff you found during the decluttering, eg. little toys you`ve to repair, books you found you should return to someone (since 10+ years) :oops: ?
- Do you archive old photos, holiday souvenirs or your first school works? Do you put them in the A-Z file order or somewhere else?

Sorry if anything sounds really stupid for you!

Can you help me to keep on track with GTD by writing down some little checklist for me? What has to be done every evening to be sure to follow the system? I`m looking out for a little list (like flyladys morning routine).

Thanks a lot

DJ

J

Jason Womack

Morning review

Can you help me to keep on track with GTD by writing down some little checklist for me? What has to be done every evening to be sure to follow the system?

Over a year ago, I started a morning ritual that I've practiced to (almost) perfection.

I call it the "Morning Review," and now I'm teaching it in my GTD seminars.

It takes me no more than 5 minutes, and it sets the tone and tempo for the day. Here it is, how I do it, step by step:

- Check my calendar: What information and actions have I already put on the calendar? Lots of meetings? Teleconferences? Am I traveling through multiple airports?

- Review my action lists: I've found this is most valuable the days I'm delivering seminars or coaching. I go down each list, and decide "on-the-spot" if the item can wait until after my day of work. If it can not, I have two options. Do it now, or put it on the calendar for lunch. Every now and then, I need to spend 10 or 15 minutes of the lunch break handling a phone call, or running an errand.

- Scan my projects list: I just look down the project list asking myself if there's an action I might want to take while I'm "here." (And, "here," is relative - am I in my office, Washington DC, or flying across the country?) Every now and then, I pull something off that list because of where I am, or what I'll be doing that day.

On seminar delivery or travel days (and I had a combined 150 of those last year) my goal is, within 5 minutes, to let myself off the hook for the next 8 or so hours. I want to deliver a seminar and trust that everything can wait, I've seen it recently, and I have an inventory of work to do when I'm done.

J

Jason Womack

Define next actions...then decide

- Where do you put the texts you want to read "someday?"
- How do you decide which texts you don`t have to read?
- Where do you put the dam`n stuff you found during the decluttering, eg. little toys you`ve to repair, books you found you should return to someone (since 10+ years) :oops: ?
- Do you archive old photos, holiday souvenirs or your first school works? Do you put them in the A-Z file order or somewhere else?

Hi,

Great questions, and ones that come up in many seminars and coachings I've delivered.

Essentially, each one of us has created the stacks we see based on our intentions and integrity. "I should do something about this, I just don't have time right now."

By going through each item, one at a time, and identifying the "current" agreement, you can then process and organize effetively.

I have a whole bookshelf of "reference" books. These are books I've picked up 'cause I thought I'd like to read them...but, haven't gotten to them just yet.

The review phase is going to be critical. Not only a weekly review of your PROJECTS list and associated next actions; but, take a look at your reading materials once a ___________ (Month/Quarter/???) and re-up your agreement.