Where to keep a list of project actions?

Tristan

Registered
Hey GTD'ers,

Question for you....

Your projects list I understand should consist of only projects and perhaps only one next action there as a place holder/reminder for the next step needed to push it forward.

What do you do in the case where the project is bigger or more complex and you need to log additional steps so you don't forget them in the future?

I keep my projects list and my next actions lists on 2 separate white boards with stickies. It's very functional and simple for me. I don't want my project board to start bloating into another next action board with lots of nested next actions under each project -- that would seem to defeat the purpose of the system.

So when this happens to your complex projects, where do you keep your list of project steps required to complete it? Does that go into your project folder or supporting material?

Oogiem

Registered
I'm using a digital system where it's easy to store the next actions as part of my project. So I just add them in and don't worry about it.

In your case using sticky notes I would suggest that you consider either making a page with sticky notes for future next actions on it and file that in project support materials or just make a list of them that lives in project support. I actually do something like that for my LambTracker program where all the various bugs and enhancements are on sticky notes and when I decide to work on one I move it out and attach it to my computer. I rarely go further with project planning but if I need to flowchart something or do more design work I'll do that and add it to the overall project support material. Completed ones get filed into my LambTracker reference file

Tristan

Registered
I'm using a digital system where it's easy to store the next actions as part of my project. So I just add them in and don't worry about it.

In your case using sticky notes I would suggest that you consider either making a page with sticky notes for future next actions on it and file that in project support materials or just make a list of them that lives in project support. I actually do something like that for my LambTracker program where all the various bugs and enhancements are on sticky notes and when I decide to work on one I move it out and attach it to my computer. I rarely go further with project planning but if I need to flowchart something or do more design work I'll do that and add it to the overall project support material. Completed ones get filed into my LambTracker reference file

This is an excellent answer. Thank you.

AggieGTD94

Registered
I am using Nirvanna app and it has a section called Projects. Also in any of the "Next" or "Scheduled" you can make a check list under notes that can help with multiple steps that are needed.

Jan Ernest

Registered
I am using Evernote as my tool for GTD.

Within Evernote I have multiple notebooks serving as the concepts of GTD. I have a main inbox for the capturing all of my thoughts, I have non-actionable notebook which has sub-notebooks for references, someday/maybe, I also have my next actions notebook which stores my quick action notes, and planned notes (scheduled), then my project notebooks which stores sub-notebooks for each and every project that I have. the Project notebook, once inside, serves as the list of projects. then I have my archive notebooks wherein all finished actionable notes are moved to after the entire process.