Why do you have to pay every year for Toodledo?

Rand

Registered
Toodledo paid program looks good but wondering why you can't just buy it like other software - pay a one time fee and then you own it - rather than have to pay a subscription every year, which would add up over several years. Doesn't seem to be any way to contact them on their site.

mickmel

Registered
It's because the software is hosted on their server, similar to other tools like Nozbe, RTM, etc. There is no way to download it to your own computer.

However, this is a big advantage for you. You can access it from ANY internet-connected PC, you don't need to worry about backups and updates, etc. When I'm looking at a new product that I might consider using, if it's not web-based and hosted by the provider, I'm not interested.

mcogilvie

Registered
Rand;84964 said:
Toodledo paid program looks good but wondering why you can't just buy it like other software - pay a one time fee and then you own it - rather than have to pay a subscription every year, which would add up over several years. Doesn't seem to be any way to contact them on their site.

For many people, Toodledo does work as you describe: the basic service through the web is free, and the iPhone app is a one-time expense (normally $4, on sale now for $2). Some people pay a bit extra each year ($14.95) for the pro subscription, which includes additional features. All of the information about these matters and more, including how to contact them, is readily available on the Toodledo web site under "help".

JohnV474

Registered
Fwiw

FWIW, a piece of software would have to create an infinitesimally small increase in productivity over the course of a year in order to pay for itself, especially when the cost is $1-3 per month.

The risk of the subscription cost adding up over years is far less than the risk of a user migrating to a different piece of software before that cost actually does add up.

I find looking at things that way to be useful.

PeterW

Registered
Rand;84964 said:
Here is a link for contacting Toodledo: http://www.toodledo.com/info/ticket.php

You can also post a message in the forums - the developer responds directly and is pretty much there every day.

As for the annual cost, it's pretty small. I've been a user for about 18 months and have found it to be extraordinarily reliable with small upgrades and enhancements every other month.

Most applications for Windows or Mac that you can 'purchase' usually cost 2, 3 or many times more initially and then go through an upgrade cycle every 18 months to 2 years where you have to pay maybe 50% of the initial price again. So you'd probably be behind going this model. E.g. OmniFocus $79.95, TaskMerlin $49-$99, MyLife Organized $45-$60.

I do know of one inexpensive app for Windows that syncs with Toodledo - TaskAngel $20.00. Maybe this might suit?

apastuszak

Registered
it's quite cheap

Considering what dedicated tools such as nozbe cost per year, Toodledo is actually quite inexpensive.