Workflow Diagram for Desktop

Angelique

Registered
Before GTD started utilizing the PDF download feature through the shopping cart, they had the Workflow Diagram online and I was able to simply right-click and "Set As Desktop Background". This was perfect as I travel every week with my laptop. Does anyone know how I can put the PDF version as my desktop background or a link where I can find the Workflow Diagram or the Advanced Workflow Diagram online?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Borisoff

Registered
I think you can try to save PFD as a picture (jpg, tif) or copy your screen or open PDF in any picture editor and save it like JPG or TIFF. Then use your Windows to install this picture as a background.

Regards,

E.

R

ReBuild

The following is a MS page link that provides instruction on changing the background picture. I would think that once you have the PDF (on your PC) you should be be able to select it without any problems.

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/accounts.mspx

I say this as a Apple OS user ... I can set a PDF as the background without any issue. I just have to remember not to delete the file!

If you do not want to use the DA diagram, you may wish to look at the following by Scott Moehting:

www.dpo.uab.edu/~plc/GTD.pdf

Personally I find it a more "complete" diagram of the GTD system. As to Rainer Burmeister diagram, it appears to be a colored and slightly amended version of DA's, so I would suggest that copy-write lies with DA or DA Co.

Max

Registered
ReBuild said:
If you do not want to use the DA diagram, you may wish to look at the following by Scott Moehting:

www.dpo.uab.edu/~plc/GTD.pdf

That is the Advanced Workflow Diagram. But thanks for a direct link to the pdf. I hate going though DA's shopping cart to get a pdf.

[OT] I got an advert from them this morning about their new Connect product. It had link to free audio, video and text article samples. I did not have time for A/V but I did want to just look at the text article real quick. Turns out I had to go through the whole checkout procedure because it was a pdf. What a PITA especially since it was truly just text with a graphic border. Hope you don't have to go thru that for all the Connectedness stuff. [/OT]

cornell

Registered
copyright issues?

Hi ReBuild,
ReBuild said:
If you do not want to use the DA diagram, you may wish to look at the following by Scott Moehting...
Do you know if it's OK to copy and share the advanced diagram? I know the original one from the book is copyrighted, but I don't know about this one.
ReBuild said:
As to Rainer Burmeister diagram, it appears to be a colored and slightly amended version of DA's, so I would suggest that copy-write lies with DA or DA Co.
Do you have any idea how much of a change is necessary to avoid copyright trouble? I know there are many variations of the processing/organizing diagram floating around - for those of us who'd like to share Allen's great ideas, but want to respect his rights, it would be useful to have some guidelines.

kewms

Registered
I would say that the David Allen Company is the final authority on what use of the diagram is or is not permissible. It's their copyright to handle as they see fit. Ask them.

If it is recognizably a copy of the original diagram -- same blocks and connections among them -- then it probably falls under the original copyright. That means that changing colors, enlarging or shrinking the blocks, etc. doesn't free you from infringement worries. Beyond that, you get into a gray area: how much of the content of a particular diagram is an expression of DA's intellectual property, and how much is the new diagram creator's original work?

Katherine

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just someone who tries to stay informed about copyright issues.

R

ReBuild

Cornell,
This is my third attempt to answer your question! Keep hitting the wrong key. I'm not a lawyer, but copywrite law does provide the user with the right to a fair use and fair dealing.

Therefore a individual should not run into any problems if the download either diagram. They may face issues if they then pass on that work (to their closest 100 friends) or claim it as their own.

For a fuller look at this issue take a look at these links:
www.myriad-online.com/en/sharedxp/droit/copyright.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#Fair_use_and_fair_dealing
www.utsystem.edu/OGC/intellectualproperty/copypol2.htm